This may be a dumb question - but

Activated95b

Well, lately there have been some CCers complaining about not enough stuff to do on the dam ships, especially on sea days. It's a remote switch to flicker the navigation lights on the Bridge on and off from your cabin;)

John, I am going to try that! LOL!!

Say, did you change your plans to sail on the Oosterdam Feb. 14?

The 10 Crabernets are soooo looking forward to meeting you and Maria!!

I hope you will be sailing with us! ;)

Teri

John, I am going to try that! LOL!!

Say, did you change your plans to sail on the Oosterdam Feb. 14?

The 10 Crabernets are soooo looking forward to meeting you and Maria!!

I hope you will be sailing with us! ;)

Teri

Yeah sorry Ma'am; we switched to the 10-day Ryndam Sea of Cortez - Wanted to do a little longer cruise and have done that 7-dayer on Oosterdam several times. Looks like both Oosterdam and Ryndam will be in Mazatlan on 17 FEB 08. Maybe we can hook up?

That sounds like a great idea John.

We have no plans that day. It is a "do as you wish" day! LOL

No HAL "as you wish" pun intended!

We would love to meet both of you!

Teri :D

We will miss you onboard MS "O", howerer! RATS!:eek:

Got ya, thanks! I have seen the emergency lighting in the hallways activated during crew only drills - kinda like a commercial aircraft; follow the white to the red; red leads to an exit

My aim in the dark's getting better!;)

On a sidenote, how does the crew board the self-inflating life rafts after they are deployed in the water? Do they "jump in" and swim to them? Unlike the lifeboats, there are no davits for them, correct?

Hey John,

The lights you are talking about are actually different ones, known as the low location lighting. The ones in the ceiling with the red dots (edit: with red dots I mean precisely that: a red sticker next to a lamp) normally also burn when there's no emergency, but these ones will stay on when the normal power supply fails.

As for the rafts: we do have davits for the rafts, cranes to be exact. When you get to the Ryndam, look aft of the last lifeboat, above the promenade deck. You will see 2 systems that can be extended and used to lower liferafts with a hook. A raft is connected to the hook, then swung out. While it is hanging it is inflated and then tied to the side of the ship, on the embarkation level. Once there are 25 crew in there (or a bit less, each crewmember has an assigned raft no.) it is lowered to the water and released. Then they (a raft lowering squad) bring the hook back up, connect the next raft and do the whole spiel again.

On the Vista's you can actually see the cranes close up: 1 crane forward of the fast rescue boat, and 2 cranes aft of the last lifeboat. All 3 (on either side) located on the lifeboat deck.

Hey John,

The lights you are talking about are actually different ones, known as the low location lighting. The ones in the ceiling with the red dots (edit: with red dots I mean precisely that: a red sticker next to a lamp) normally also burn when there's no emergency, but these ones will stay on when the normal power supply fails.

As for the rafts: we do have davits for the rafts, cranes to be exact. When you get to the Ryndam, look aft of the last lifeboat, above the promenade deck. You will see 2 systems that can be extended and used to lower liferafts with a hook. A raft is connected to the hook, then swung out. While it is hanging it is inflated and then tied to the side of the ship, on the embarkation level. Once there are 25 crew in there (or a bit less, each crewmember has an assigned raft no.) it is lowered to the water and released. Then they (a raft lowering squad) bring the hook back up, connect the next raft and do the whole spiel again.

On the Vista's you can actually see the cranes close up: 1 crane forward of the fast rescue boat, and 2 cranes aft of the last lifeboat. All 3 (on either side) located on the lifeboat deck.

OK, see what you mean on Ryndam re: the two cranes on each side of the stacks of raft containers

Ship+Photo+RYNDAM.jpg

And the positions you referred to on Zuiderdam

[/url]Ship+Photo+Zuiderdam.jpg[url=http://boards.cruisecritic.com/"http://media.shipspotting.com/uploads/photos/rw/151111/Ship+Photo+Oosterdam.jpg&quot]

Thanks for the education!:)

OK, see what you mean on Ryndam re: the two cranes on each side of the stacks of raft containers

Ship+Photo+RYNDAM.jpg

And the positions you referred to on Zuiderdam

[/url]Ship+Photo+Zuiderdam.jpg[url=http://boards.cruisecritic.com/"http://media.shipspotting.com/uploads/photos/rw/151111/Ship+Photo+Oosterdam.jpg&quot]

Thanks for the education!:)

Dont see the pictures, but I'm sure they are the correct ones?

It's really only to find your way to the door of your cabin without breaking your neck, once in the hallway there are more emergency lights to find your way around the rest of the ship. As for the bathroom, you're gonna have to learn to aim in the dark, or make your way to the public toilets, there should be emergency lighting in there.

FYI: if you walk around the ship and look at the light fixtures, you may notice some have a red dot next to them. These are the lights that are on emergency power and will keep burning in case of a regular power failure.

Interesting. I saw those red dots and assumed that they were there to mark the burned-out light bulbs for the maitenence folks. (There were a lot of dark lights with red dots next to them.)

BTW - dosen't everybody pack an chemical lightstick and put it in their nightstand drawer whenever they travel (or am I just over-prepared)?

Interesting. I saw those red dots and assumed that they were there to mark the burned-out light bulbs for the maitenence folks. (There were a lot of dark lights with red dots next to them.)

BTW - dosen't everybody pack an chemical lightstick and put it in their nightstand drawer whenever they travel (or am I just over-prepared)?

Never hurts to have some chem sticks on/with you. You can do lots of cool things with them;)

I don't, it's just you :D But I used one from a party on deck as a nightlight in the bathroom once!

Now I just take a click light for a night light:

Selling_LED_Click_Light_summ.jpg.ad4f38fc9f1678c49a25ede996e497cc.jpg

On my Nov 22 cruise on the Oosterdam I noticed a switch just inside the door to my cabin that had a green light (illuminated) and a red light that was not lit (presumably because the switch was in the 'green' position).

I never touched this switch because my background is one where you never touch a switch or control unless you know _exactly_ what will happen if you do.

Can anybody tell me what that switch does?

It's the emergency reset switch for when the A/C stops functioning.

Geeesh!

Archived