Almost Live from NCL Spirit - Dec 21-28,2008

nolaAlive

I saw your tour for the waterfall. It looks fun. Now is $35 a person a good deal there or what? I see that the ship is offering one for $69 per person. Did you ever feel unsafe there? Also, was the shopping cheaper by the ship or what? I don't know what we are going to do when you get off this ship. This daily picture thing is neat.

I don't shop.

The locals don't buy (can't afford), the stuff the tourists buy, so for some stuff, the port would be the only game in town.

I thought $35 was a steal and we got to do more than the cruise ship tours. I wouldn't hesitate to book a tour at the dock, but would try to get an exact time for when it was leaving. Often they don't leave until there are enough people to fill a boat, or a minivan, or whatever method of transportation is being used. If they are going to make me wait, I might make them buy me a beer to the trouble. ;)

I felt perfectly safe. Guatemala is a very poor country, but I found the people to be friendly and proud.

Talked to my husband and we are interested in the Guatamala waterfalls after looking at your pictures. I know this was a couple years ago but did you see any prices advertising this excursion? I wonder how long the tour is?

Thanks for all your help.

Talked to my husband and we are interested in the Guatamala waterfalls after looking at your pictures. I know this was a couple years ago but did you see any prices advertising this excursion? I wonder how long the tour is?

Thanks for all your help.

Nope. They don't post prices. There are lots of independent "brokers" that will sell you on a tour and take you to their favorite vendor in the building. But the tours are safe and legitimate. Everyone in the tourist compound is licensed to be there.

Hi there NolaAlive... hope you enjoyed your holiday on board. When all is said and done, will you let us know if there was one or two "formal or not" nights. I am big into formal wear and expected there to only be one night on our last 7 day cruise, but both seas days were. Hopefully you can let us know if it is the same on the Spirit.

Happy Sailing!

Hi there NolaAlive... hope you enjoyed your holiday on board. When all is said and done, will you let us know if there was one or two "formal or not" nights. I am big into formal wear and expected there to only be one night on our last 7 day cruise, but both seas days were. Hopefully you can let us know if it is the same on the Spirit.

Happy Sailing!

I think the answer is 0. I wore jeans every night. ;)

There might be 2 optional, but no dress codes is part of Freestyle.

Okay I am going to be nosy. Are both those girls your daughters?

How has it been cruising now that you are across the gulf?

Nieces, as in not my problem . :D

Going back is not as rough as coming down. It was relatively smooth for the port day cruising.

An Eagle Ray.

There were guides with us.

Pics through Cozumel are up (maybe) if battery lasts...

NCL Spirit Christmas Cruise

Dec 21 - Dec 28, 2008

Pre-Cruise

Dec 21 - New Orleans - depart 5:30pm

Dec 22 - Sea Day

Dec 23 - Costa Maya - 10am - 6pm

Dec 24 - Santo Tomas De Castilla - 8am - 6pm

Dec 25 - Belize City - 8am - 6pm

Dec 26 - Cozumel - 8am - 5pm

Dec 27 - Sea Day

Dec 28 - New Orleans - arrive 8am

You have a great web site, thanks for all the photos and information. I've got to get a better digital camera and a underwater camera case.

I have two questions, which is also about formal night(s). My DW wife insist that there is at least one formal night and you have to make reservations in the main dining room for this night. (A relative told here this:cool:) From what I have read it looks like formal night is whenever you wish to dress up in the main dining room ( I'm guessing I'm wrong:o).

I know these questions keep getting asked, but here we go again:

1. Is there a formal night(s) and when?

2. On these nights are reservations needed for the main dining room?

You have a great web site, thanks for all the photos and information. I've got to get a better digital camera and a underwater camera case.

I have two questions, which is also about formal night(s). My DW wife insist that there is at least one formal night and you have to make reservations in the main dining room for this night. (A relative told here this:cool:) From what I have read it looks like formal night is whenever you wish to dress up in the main dining room ( I'm guessing I'm wrong:o).

I know these questions keep getting asked, but here we go again:

1. Is there a formal night(s) and when?

2. On these nights are reservations needed for the main dining room?

1) I don't know of any required formal nights. They are perhaps optional formal but still whatever nights. Windows Restaurant is the more dressy, in that they don't like shorts.

2) Reservations are not necessary unless you want to eat at a particular time, table, what staff, perhaps. We have eaten with no reservations every night. Sometimes there is a wait, but we haven't waited since the first night. ;)

Thank you very much for the time/effort you have put into this thread over the course of your cruise. One of the best one's I have come across. Since most the rooms don't have the mini fridges, did you request one prior to boarding or when you checked in?

Once again, fantastic updates, and wonderful photos!!

Thank you very much for the time/effort you have put into this thread over the course of your cruise. One of the best one's I have come across. Since most the rooms don't have the mini fridges, did you request one prior to boarding or when you checked in?

Once again, fantastic updates, and wonderful photos!!

Requested once on ship for my Mom's cabin and it was the last one (in the area, floor?? I dunno).

I does cut into precious cabin space.

I brought a 12x12 collapsible mostly waterproof ice chest and the steward kept it full of ice the whole trip.

I just went through your last pictures. Looks like you had a good last sea day. Do you know when you actually arrived in New Orleans? I know it takes a while to get up the Mississippi River.

No idea. I think we were scheduled to hit South Pass around 11pm and then maybe 100 miles to go?

Since debarkation was scheduled to begin at 7:30am, I'd say we were there before the 8am estimated time.

Archived