Carnival Trivia

DarthGrady

Mardi Gras was "the flagship of the golden fleet". It definitely wasn't gold and there was no fleet at that time, so Dickinson decided "the fun ship" sounded better. It's a rif on "the happy ship" moniker that some other line, I think Commodore, was using.

That was Commodore!

Haha! Good trivia!

I know what you are talking about, I read about it a while back over at MaritimeMatters.com

I believe it was called Fiesta Latina, and I know it involved one of the first three Carnival ships (I just cant remember which one). After she was retired they renamed her, and she sailed very briefly as a latin themed and staffed ship out of south FL. She didn't do very well as I recall, and was sold off soon thereafter.

Close, Darth.

It was the Fiesta Marina. The ship they used was the Carnivale...in 1993. This was a venture that failed - so in a few months, the FiestaMarina was retrieved by Carnival and sent packing to Epirotiki....

Honestly, I had totally forgotten I'd cruised on this ship under the "Fiesta" moniker. Carnival found it when they were researching a couple of my really early cruises from the late 1970's.......

Here's an interesting link about the ship itself and it's journey through it's "ship life":

http://www.maritimematters.com/topaz5.html

All of them. QEI, QMI, Lusitania and Mauretania were all built for Cunard (now owned by Carnival Corporation). Titanic was built for White Star, which merged with Cunard in 1934 to form Cunard White Star.

As an aside, I've always been a bit amused by Cunard's trademark "White Star Service" because going back to Titanic/Lusitania/Mauretania's time, White Star was noted for its service and Cunard was noted for its speed, not as much for its service. At least something survived from White Star.;)

Shows what a hick I am. I know that the White Star Line was noted because it went everywhere, however, their safety record was the worst. Interestingly enough, when the Titantic was on it's way toward New York they were most interested in setting a speed record for the time in getting here.

Shows what a hick I am. I know that the White Star Line was noted because it went everywhere, however, their safety record was the worst. Interestingly enough, when the Titantic was on it's way toward New York they were most interested in setting a speed record for the time in getting here.

Which was kinda asinine since she wasn't even capable of capturing the Blue Riband.

Im pretty sure the Glory never did since she has lived her life up until now at Port Canaveral.

That was the tricky one that I thought folks would say, but it is incorrect. The Glory was forced to homeport in Fort Lauderdale in September of 2005 due to the closure of Port Canaveral by Hurricane Jeanne.

There IS at least one ship in CCL's fleet that has never called in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami...

Archived