Carnival Trivia

DarthGrady

ring a note with anyone?...Italian ( I said Greek) in origin..money .lenders by trade. An old band member whom I have just met and have had "speaks" with, was employed in the early days, had/has some interesting tales re: original financing for Teds first vessel. I Googled, but ran out of time...lucky

- Which Carnival ship(s), if any, have held the title "World's Largest Cruise Ship?"

- If a CCL ship held this title, what years did it hold said title, and what ship(s) eclipsed it as the new "World's Largest Cruise Ship?"

Was it the Ectasy (in 1991, I think)? My friend sailed her maiden voyage on her honeymoon in June of that year and I somehow remember her saying it was the biggest ship.

No, it was not the Ecstasy. The Ecstasy was the 2nd Fantasy-class ship. The first, Fantasy debuted in 1990 at 70,000 gross registered tons. At that time, both RCCL's Sovereign of the Seas and NCL's Norway were larger.

- Which Carnival ship(s), if any, have held the title "World's Largest Cruise Ship?"

- If a CCL ship held this title, what years did it hold said title, and what ship(s) eclipsed it as the new "World's Largest Cruise Ship?"

That would be the Carnival Destiny in 1996 I believe. She held two notable titles:

1st ship to exceed 100,000 gross tons and largest passenger ship in the world.

She was dethroned by another Carnival Corp ship, I know it was Princess, but Im not exactly sure which. Im gonna hazard a guess and say Grand Princess since it sounds big. You know, the one that looks like a shopping cart with the big "handle" nightclub. I think that was 1998, and then Princess was overtaken by RCCL Explorer OTS in 1999.

That would be the Carnival Destiny in 1996 I believe. She held two notable titles:

She was dethroned by another Carnival Corp ship, I know it was Princess, but Im not exactly sure which. Im gonna hazard a guess and say Grand Princess since it sounds big. You know, the one that looks like a shopping cart with the big "handle" nightclub. I think that was 1998, and then Princess was overtaken by RCCL Explorer OTS in 1999.

Correct.

The Carnival Destiny took the title as "World's Largest Cruise Ship" in 1996 at over 101,000 tons (the first passenger ship to ever exceed 100,000 tons).

However, Carnival Destiny held that title until late 1997 when Princess launched the 109,000 ton Grand Princess. At the time, Princess was not owned by Carnival.

In 1999, RCCL launched the Voyager of the Seas, which held the title with her sister ships (Explorer '00, Adventure '01, Navigator '02, Mariner '03) until the launch of Queen Mary 2.

It was the Grand.....

As far as the Fantasy Class they were smaller than the Norway of NCL at the time.

Okay, here's a not-so-easy one...

Name the ships in the CURRENT Carnival fleet that have transited the Panama Canal at least once.

I'll check this in the morning before I go to the port of Tampa to get on the Legend ;)

Close.

All 5 are correct, but that's not all of them.

Hint, you're only missing one other ship.

Good Job though.

Tropicale

I know it went TO the Panama Canal in 1997....I don't know if it went "through" or a partial passage???

Archived