good restaurant for dinner

whenzuc

Anyone have a good recommendation for dinner on Jan 6, the holiday? Will restaurants be open that day? Looking for a place for a family dinner (kids are college-age and older) - Maybe Italian- or something fun- that would be a departure from the Eurodam food. Any ideas? Nothing commercial- maybe Middle Eastern? Or something local and ethnic? Hopefully a restaurant close to where the ship docks.

I can't say for sure what will be open 1/6....call and ask.

Italian- Al Dente 100% great- right on Recinto Sur (just a couple blocks from the cruise ship).

For middle eastern, we liked Istanbul better than Makarios (both on Recinto Sur). Istanbul has a lamb platter that was great!

For local food, we liked Baru, Buren, Jibarito or even Patio de Sam was good too.

For "hip" Asian inspired - Dragonfly. Meals served family style (so don't order 1 meal for everyone in your party- too uch food!)) and drinks are great!

Here is a list with contact info:

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/restaurants/

For Puerto Rican creole cuisine, my fav is El Jibarito:

http://www.eljibaritopr.com/

A good alternative for Puerto Rican food is "Raices". It's near the piers on Recinto Sur Street. The website points to their other inland locale, so I won't post the link. But it's pretty good, although small and wait times can be up to an hour.

If you'd like just the standard America fun fare, there's a Hard Rock Cafe just up the street from Raices. Along that drag, there are many good restaurants.

For Puerto Rican creole cuisine, my fav is El Jibarito:

http://www.eljibaritopr.com/

A good alternative for Puerto Rican food is "Raices". It's near the piers on Recinto Sur Street. The website points to their other inland locale, so I won't post the link. But it's pretty good, although small and wait times can be up to an hour.

If you'd like just the standard America fun fare, there's a Hard Rock Cafe just up the street from Raices. Along that drag, there are many good restaurants.

I agree about El Jibarito for local food. We were there a couple of weeks ago and had a great meal.:)

I usually try and eat local food when I visit. I also believe in good prices (Around $10 per entree) the following places fit the bill and TASTE GREAT

La Bombonera is Very good. I call it a Puerto Rican Style Diner. It is located on Calle San Francisco 259 between San Justo and La Tanca closer to San Justo.

While the place would remind you of a Dive Resteraunt (instead of bar) with someone's grandma in the kitchen. El Buen Samaritano Located on Calle Luna 225 between San Justo and La Tanca closer to San Justo.

My ABSOLUTE favorite place is in Candado, Cafe Del Angel. You take the B21 bus to the fisrt stop on Magdalana Ave (Right when it turns off Ashford and passes Charlies Car Rental. and walk back over to Ashford the address is 1106 Ashford Ave. The bus is about a 20-30 min ride and leaves from the bus station in OSJ. The bus back is right across the street on Ashford Ave.

All are reviewed on Frommers.com if you want to read indepth details.

what holiday??:eek:

i am there to 8 that night. i have a group meeting at Parrot Club.

January 6th is Three Kings Day- a BIG holiday here (comparable in size/celebration to Christmas for people in the States). You know the story- it is the day the 3 Wise Men came and gave gifts to the baby Jesus. So in PR, this is the day kids get presents (the 3 Kings bring them , not Santa), and people have family celebrations etc.

I would call and make sure any of these places are open (I would not assume they all are). Maybe a few will open for dinner (the bigger, more tourists places - like Parrot Club. I would bet money Jibarito is closed).

I vote for Parrot Club. Very interesting place. My wife just loves the decor. Our waiter was friendly, very courteous, and efficient. While not inexpensive, the food is outstanding and well worth the visit if you enjoy nice flavors.

Here are more of our Secrets of the Caribbean!

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

These are our very detailed personal reviews, hints, and tips for ports of call that you will be visiting.

My ABSOLUTE favorite place is in Candado, Cafe Del Angel. You take the B21 bus to the fisrt stop on Magdalana Ave (Right when it turns off Ashford and passes Charlies Car Rental. and walk back over to Ashford the address is 1106 Ashford Ave. The bus is about a 20-30 min ride and leaves from the bus station in OSJ. The bus back is right across the street on Ashford Ave.

I too love Cafe Del Angel...fantastic, cheap, and good service. HINT: Get there early...last time we were there - we sat down at 6. By 7:00 - people were waiting out on the side walk. After dinner - head over to La Concha Renaissance (down the block) and have a drink by their pool...very tendy!

Archived