When did RCCL stop allowing personal wine?

mimicsr

I think there was always a rule stating not to bring alcohol on board but it was not really inforced until the Smith death. Things seemed to tighten up after that. In San Juan we would always check in, go to eat then get back off the ship and buy wine and beer at that duty free shop right there at the embarcation site, we were never stopped. Beer and wine choices were iffy....some good some bad but we were never stopped. We would, also, bring beer and wine on board at the ports, not a case or mucho amounts but some without problems. We went to a vineyard in Tuscany and of course we brought back wine. We all know it is a sad commentary of life today. When one bad expierence ruins it for many.

Bringing aboard hard liquor has always been disallowed, but I'm pretty sure the ban on bringing aboard your own wine was in 2005. We had a cruise planned for Thanksgiving that year and could not bring any along. I looked this up in our cruise history, so even though I'm not sure of the exact date, this definitely was the year.

I also think it was around that time the stopped allowing you to purchase a bottle of booze onboard. paying a $9 fee to have it delivered to your stateroom.

Both of these rules affected us, not enough to make us stop cruising RCI, but enough to be annoying.

Bringing aboard hard liquor has always been disallowed, but I'm pretty sure the ban on bringing aboard your own wine was in 2005. We had a cruise planned for Thanksgiving that year and could not bring any along. I looked this up in our cruise history, so even though I'm not sure of the exact date, this definitely was the year.

I also think it was around that time the stopped allowing you to purchase a bottle of booze onboard. paying a $9 fee to have it delivered to your stateroom.

Both of these rules affected us, not enough to make us stop cruising RCI, but enough to be annoying.

If memory serves me correctly..........it was August of 2005 when the duty free liquor store stopped selling bottles for onboard consumption.

Rick

I think it must have been later than that when they started enforcing a ban on personal wine. We were on the Explorer in June of 2006, and we were able to board with wine in our carry-ons.

My DH and I have a favorite local wine that is not available for purchase on the Ship. We REALLY want to have this wine, but are afraid of being caught with it. Has anyone been caught, and what is the worst that could happen?

The absolute worse thing that could happen is that it is found, taken away, and given back at the end of the cruise.

It's certainly not like you will be kicked off the ship for getting caught.

I don't think much of what is brought on is really caught.

Archived