Help with Cozumal Dive Operators?

Bruce&Pam

I could use some help from those of you who have experience using dive operators in Cozumel. I'll try to give you an idea of what we're looking for:

Pam and I are certified and have recently begun diving during our Carnival cruises. Carnival always uses the same operator (Sand Dollar) and they always go to the same place every Friday. Since we're always in Coz on a Friday, we've been to the same place 3 times, now.

Our son is getting certified as one of his college classes at Texas Tech and both he and my daughter will be joining us for a cruise in May. She doesn't dive. We think the wall dives at Coz are wonderful and would like to have our son join us for a wall dive in May.

Our first choice would be to charter a dive for 4 people. Our daughter would go along even though she won't be diving. I wouldn't ming paying for the 4 of us if this was possible. Second choice would be to reserve 3 spots for us divers with someone and the daughter would just do something else. Anyone have any ideas for us?

---Bruce

I suggest Scuba With Alison. If you search you will find that she is one of the most highly recommended operators to dive with in Cozumel. I did not have the pleasure of diving with Alison herself but with her pal Chucho who was wonderful. Very personalized service. Have a great cruise and safe diving!

Here is a link:

http://www.scubawithalison.com/

Yes, thats exactly what I did. I emailed her and explained to her our skill levels (I am a novice while my son has an advanced certification). She wrote back and said she had some perfect dive spots in mind that would be easy for me yet not boring for my son. We were very comfortable and had a wonderful time.

I also suggest Allison. We have arranged two scuba/snorkel trips with her. She always has a guide for the divers and a guide for the snorkelers. My son had only been certified a month before we dove with her the first time and she was very conscious of different ability levels. Have fun!!!! Cherie

I also suggest Allison. We have arranged two scuba/snorkel trips with her. She always has a guide for the divers and a guide for the snorkelers. My son had only been certified a month before we dove with her the first time and she was very conscious of different ability levels. Have fun!!!! Cherie

Tell me more about your snorkel/dive trip. Do they have snorkelers and divers on the same boat, or is this two different trips?

We had both divers and snorkelers on the same boat. It was fantastic. Both times we went to the Palancar Reef which I think is spectacular, even after the hurricanes. I am one of the snorkelers and absolutely love it. The second time we went we ask if they could drop us off at a beach club where we could have lunch, enjoy the beach, and then take a taxi back to the ship. I think she dropped us at the Palancar Beach Club but I'm not sure. It is her favorite and the food, drinks, and beach were wonderful.

Both times we went it was just our family and she had a guide with the divers and a guide with the snorkelers. That made me very comfortable, because I have been on combined dive/snorkel trips where there was no one watching out for the snorkelers.

Hope this helps. Have a great cruise. Cherie

I also give another vote for Alison. She finally got a second boat. She can do a combo excursion where some dive and some snorkel if it gets worked out in advance. I joke with her that she is like a mother hen in the water with her chicks. If you add air to your BC or let it out, she is looking at you to make sure everything is ok.

Dave

Thanks for all the replies. I contacted Alison and she wants to add the 4 of us to a boat that she already has 4 repeat customers on. They want to do shallow reef dives because there's a photographer in the group. The plus is our daughter would be able to join us snorkeling. The down side is we were really wanting to do a wall dive.

So we're still thinking about that one. Meanwhile I'll try to contact Blue Angel, Aldora, and Dive with Martin to see if one of them will be willing to take us to the Santa Rosa Wall.

We know the ship's dive operator (Sand Dollar) will take us to the wall, so we always have that ace in the hole.

www.divewithmartin is great, I have gone with them when I stayed in Cozumel. My first dive with them was with a family where the dad went with them for the past 15 years. They are located right on the International Pier, so they are VERY convenient for cruise passengers. At least for the afternoon dives. I recall having to be there at 7:30 to make the morning dives.

• 1 month later...

Is there a dive operator on the Puerta Maya pier who caters to cruise ship passengers? The last time I was in Cozumel on a cruise, there was a dive shop on the International Pier. This time I think we'll be docking at Puerta Maya and arriving at 9AM island time, too late for many operator's morning dives.

If there is a dive shop on or near the Puerta Maya Pier, can someone please give me the name and/or website, email? And tell me of any experiences with them.

image.php?code=0XT1328e95Xk4Xs23XCarnival%20Legend

This is a late response, but I had to post since my husband and I both got certified at Texas Tech in 2005. Tell your son that the diving in Cozumel will blow him away compared to the cert dive he'll do in Balmorhea. I can't remember the name of the instructor, but he's a hoot!

jphmxy.gif

Anyway, my family has been diving with Blue Angel for years and I highly recommend them! Before my sister was certified we did plenty of trips where we all dove while she snorkeled. Just shoot Alejandra an email and she'll let you know what she can arrange.

Guns Up! :D This may be late also.

We dive with Sea Urchin when we're down there on cruises and when we go down and stay for awhile.

Simple operation, safe, friendly and their customer base is very loyal.

I've also heard great things about most that have been mentioned.

This is late too, but the best operation I have used down there is divewithchristina. She has a nice boat with cover and padded chairs and serves lunch. But the main reason is she takes us to different dives everytime, she will work out going when you are on a cruise ship, she does a great job with all levels. My 12 year old son was her dive buddy for his first real dive, my daughter snorkled, and we had great dives as well. You just take a taxi to her boat.

Archived