Is JEWELRY really cheaper in the Caribbean??

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before!

I just returned from a cruise to the Bahamas. Even though I've cruised a handful of times before, it was interesting to me how the ships always push for you to purchase jewelry in the Caribbean.

Somehow this "push" begins on board, then when you arrive....in some ports you can see the huge number of jewelry stores!

Yes, I ended up purchasing from Diamonds International and Venitian Jewelers both...yet there were many other stores offering bigger savings but not on the cruise ship's "recommended dealers" list.

Just wondering about other cruisecritics' thoughts on the whole thing.

Do cruise lines get a kick-back? Is it really such a big savings? With so many free give-aways, how can they give such a good deal? Is there really any difference between the stores in any port?

Basically, if you're looking for a "bargain", do alot of research into the piece you want to buy BEFORE you go! Compare "apples to apples", so to speak, so you KNOW what you're buying!

If you see something that you love, and don't care about the "bargain factor", then buy it!

Just know that you never get something for nothing--even in the Caribbean!

There are many reputable jewelry stores in the Eastern Caribbean that the cruise ship does not recommend (reason being they do no get a kick back!)...If you cruise on a regular basis you can make a contact with a salesperson in the jewelry store of your choice and then you will have a relationship with him/her in the future...

Personally, I find St. Maarten and St. Thomas to be best for jewelry...Jill

Just had a client back from St Maarteen, took a ring she brought (Dia and emeralds) to the local jewler here and he was impressed, said to buy here would be 1/3 more... I'm in the UK by the way.. so I guess thats a kinda yes but only if your buying as you love it, not investment pieces...I can find out more if needed

J x.

I have never found a real bargin in the Caribbean - but will continue to look.

I will never forget our trip to Bora Bora and Tahiti. I LOVE Tahitian Black Pearls. I thought I was going to come home dripping in black pearls - since I was going to the source. Not the case. They were much more expensive and lower quality. I found Tahitian Black Pearls at a better price at NJ/NYC dealers. (I also looked for them while in HI and they were outrageous!)

Will be looking again in two weeks. Hope to find a good deal.

I have gotten some really great deals in St. Maarten. I never thought I would be able to afford blue diamonds, but I found a gorgeous ring with quite a few blue diamonds for less than I've ever seen them anywhere else. I've also gotten great deals on sapphires & amethysts. St. Maarten is definitely a great place for jewelry! Just remember that you are not expected to pay the price that's listed. You'll be able to talk the prices down quite a bit. I've been on 3 cruises that went to both St. Maarten and St. Thomas, and St. Maarten had consistently better prices every time.

I have gotten some really great deals in St. Maarten. I never thought I would be able to afford blue diamonds, but I found a gorgeous ring with quite a few blue diamonds for less than I've ever seen them anywhere else. I've also gotten great deals on sapphires & amethysts. St. Maarten is definitely a great place for jewelry! Just remember that you are not expected to pay the price that's listed. You'll be able to talk the prices down quite a bit. I've been on 3 cruises that went to both St. Maarten and St. Thomas, and St. Maarten had consistently better prices every time.

Katarina Jewelry on amazon.com has GREAT blue diamonds. They also have a very good return policy, free shipping, and they give you the clarity of the irradiated blue diamonds-this is a reputable company.

Just remember folks blue diamonds are much less valuable than white diamonds, (like a fourth of the value) if they have been irradiated-of course natural blue diamonds (ex. Hope Diamond) are priceless- but most of what you find on the market have been irradiated. NEVER pay the same price as you would for a white diamond of the same size and clarity- what is done is-diamonds that are not near colorless, but are still too light to be classified as champagne are heated-when they are heated they will turn different colors-blue is one of the colors they will turn. They can also turn red, black, yellow,purple,green, just about any color imaginable.

Now I love my blue diamond-it is beautiful! Mine is a dark blue with teal green hints in it. but I also realize that- if it had been colorless and hence more vlauable it would have never been heated.

I was looking at an expensive watch on board the ship and compared prices in several ports. The ship was the cheapest by a few dollars. However, before buying it I went to the shipboard internet cafe and did a quick price check. A well known jewelry store chain in the U.S. was offering the same watch for over $100 cheaper than the ship price. Since the ship had a "we'll beat any price" guarantee, I printed off the cost and presented the price looking to get the watch at the matched price. The manager said he wouldn't do it because it was an Internet retailer. I explained that it was a true "brick and morter" jewelry store that just happened to also sell on-line but he would have nothing to do with it. So I waited until I returned home and got the watch at the lower price from the jewelry store. I'm hesitant to now buy anything on-board or at a port without first knowing the U.S. price but I'm happy with my watch.

Randall

Archived