Corking fee

mistyinca

I sailed on the Elation in Nov. 08, and my sister and I each brought a bottle of wine. We paid the corking fee in the dining room, but I wonder...If there is any wine left, will they allow us to cork it and leave the dining room with it. This cruise I'll be going with my husband and kids, and my husband doesn't drink, so I probably won't be finishing a bottle all at once.

You can take it with you if you like. They will also hold it for you so you can enjoy it on another night. If you bring wine that should be served chilled, they will keep it cold for you. Just do as you like.

You can drink wine you bring on with you in your cabin and avoid the corkage fee entirely if you so choose. You will only be charged if you bring the bottle to dinner and have your server open the bottle. Even then we have not been charged most of the time.

If you purchase the wine in the dining room they will keep the bottle for you and return it to your table each night. I did this on my first cruise, and since I was the only one drinking it, they would just have it there. I was not charged the fee.

I do take my own wine with me now, and will drink a glass in the room before dinner. I also will buy a glass in the dining room on occasion. My DH does not drink so I no longer will by a bottle on board the ship. I like particular wines and how found that I cannot always get what I want on the ship.

I sailed on the Elation in Nov. 08, and my sister and I each brought a bottle of wine. We paid the corking fee in the dining room, but I wonder...If there is any wine left, will they allow us to cork it and leave the dining room with it. This cruise I'll be going with my husband and kids, and my husband doesn't drink, so I probably won't be finishing a bottle all at once.

Just open the wine in your cabin and take a glass of wine with you to dinner.

I think it is so nice that Carnival allows passengers to bring wine with them for just this reason. :)
So do I, but I wish they "allowed" you to carry on more than one bottle each. If a cruise is 3 nights, you can bring one bottle; if your cruise is 7 nights, you can bring one bottle. Doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm glad they allow it in the first place.

I wish it were more balanced, our last cruise was a 12 day Hawaii. Carnival only placed the one bottle limit a year or two back. I've been in line behind people taking a case on board on a seven night sailing. Without a limit, people will abuse the privilege. I guess we are lucky the option wasn't eliminated altogether. :(

Do they still charge you a corking fee if it's a screw off?

Corkage is not charged for the physical act of opening a bottle of wine. The fee is charged for allowing you to bring your own wine into the dining room.

On occasion, I have taken a bottle of wine to the dining room, but have never been charged the fee.:) It seems to be at the discretion of your waiter.

...If there is any wine left, will they allow us to cork it and leave the dining room with it. .

Yes, you may take it when you leave, OR if you want, they'll keep it for you, and have it ready at your table for the next evening.:)

If you let your room steward know you would like him to leave wine glasses in the room for you, he will be happy to do so. Just let him know what you need. If you want to open your wine and do not have glasses, just go to any bar on board and ask for them, they will be happy to give you what ever glassware you require.

If you let your room steward know you would like him to leave wine glasses in the room for you, he will be happy to do so. Just let him know what you need. If you want to open your wine and do not have glasses, just go to any bar on board and ask for them, they will be happy to give you what ever glassware you require.

Ah- this is nice to know as I was trying to figure out how to pack a couple of wine glasses to bring- I hate drinking wine out of water glasses. Wonder if we can get a couple of champagne glasses for sail away?

Was on the Elation this past October and was charged the corkage fee even though we had opened the bottle in the room. It seems to be at the discretion of your waiter. Not happy about being charged the 15.00 per bottle though.

The corkage fee applies to bottles of wine brought into the dining room, but not purchased onboard. The fee has nothing to do with who opens the bottle. If you bring a bottle of wine on board the ship and bring it into the dining room you are subject to the fee. Like many things in this world it is not equally applied.

Thanks! That is good to know. I was thinking I'd have to order a glass of wine (a sacrifice I could make, I guess :D), and re-use the glass.

I bring the opened bottle to the table, and never been charged.

This is a common result, but some posters here have been charged for bringing open bottles while others have not been charged for bringing corked bottles.

I think the best way to look at it is to be prepared to pay the charge if you bring your own bottle to the dining room. If you are not charged, that's a bonus for you.

Archived