Help with NCL dinner attire...

OrangeKitty

We have a 12 night cruise coming up and have never cruised with NCL. We usually love dressing up for dinner, but this time we do not want to lug a lot of formal atire with us. What can we get away with wearing for dinner? Do a lot of people on NCL wear jeans for dinner?

Just off the Jewel on 1-19-09. We sailed from Miami to Dominican Republic, Tortola, Antigua, Barbados and St. Lucia for 9 days. We ate in the dinning room every night except one and I wore and saw many others wearing blue jeans and other very casual attire......even on the "dress-up" nights. On one night I made a special effort to see just what folks were wearing and it was quite a various mixture. For example, there were men and women in jeans, men in suites with and without ties, a few in tux, sports coats (with & without ties), kaki pants with knit shirts (some tucked in and some not), shirts with collars and even a "tee" style shirt with NO collar (I saw at least four of these on one night) and numerous of those tropical print shirts (some so "loud and bright" that you could see them all the way across the dinning room). As far as shoes, there were men and women wearing "tennis" style shoes, some with sandals. By the way, I did not bother taking a suit with me.

nice jeans are accepted...usually there is a sign about no torn or ripped jeans. on "dress up or not" nights they may keep one of the main dining rooms as "no jeans".

Cathi is faster than I am, but as usual, she's correct :D

I read a copy of a Freestyle Daily from late Sept 08 for the Jewel. There was a note under Freestyle Dining which read:

What to Wear - You'll always find a place for your style, no matter what you want to wear. Resort casual (including jeans) is welcome in all of our restaurants ,except Tsar's, our designated "dress-up" restaurant after 5 pm. Please note that tank tops and shorts are not allowed in any restaurant after 5 pm except for the Garden Cafe.

FYI - Tsar's is the larger main dining room and the Garden Cafe is the buffet.

This is the same as what WhenIsOurNextCruise said so I'm presuming this is the latest policy on jeans.

I read a copy of a Freestyle Daily from late Sept 08 for the Jewel. There was a note under Freestyle Dining which read:

What to Wear - You'll always find a place for your style, no matter what you want to wear. Resort casual (including jeans) is welcome in all of our restaurants ,except Tsar's, our designated "dress-up" restaurant after 5 pm. Please note that tank tops and shorts are not allowed in any restaurant after 5 pm except for the Garden Cafe.

FYI - Tsar's is the larger main dining room and the Garden Cafe is the buffet.

This is the same as what WhenIsOurNextCruise said so I'm presuming this is the latest policy on jeans.

Interesting... NCL has had the rule about one dining room being "no jeans" since they began to allow Jeans in mid 2007 BUT, I have never seen them designating one dining room as dress up only. To read the new information above, it would make it sound as if Tsar's Palace did not allow Resort Casual (polo shirts, kahki's) either.

I can remember two of our NCL cruises where they did specify that no jeans were allowed in a main dining room and it was always the one on the Aft.

To the OP.. if you are ok taking them, you can not go wrong with Dockers and polo's. If you take a couple or three pair of Dockers and several polos you can eat anywhere on the ship and not have to worry about being turned away. I have actually seen them turn people away twice.. once for jeans and once for shorts. I always hate to see that happen because it was not like the people looked slouchy or dirty, etc. Both times the couples were very clean and well dressed albeit in jeans or shorts. I am in the group as long as you are letting parts of your body hang out or be uncovered I really don't care what a person wears to diner as long as it's clean. LOL>. I am much more concerned about someone being in clean clothes than being dressed up. My DDP and I always take Dockers and polo's and we do not feel out of place anywhere on the ship. On an extended trip like you are going on or like we will be on this coming Nov, you can always have them washed via the ships laundry service which is not very expensive at all. That's why I suggest only taking a few pair.

Archived