One-time use cameras...checked baggage or carry on? X-rays?

theplaceofh

I've heard that you shouldn't let any undeveloped film go through an x-ray machine. Has anyone had any experience with one-time use cameras, especially the waterproof kind? We're taking waterproof cameras for snorkeling/diving days. Should I take them out of all my bags when going through security, just check them, put them in my carry on, or what?

First time flying and cruising. Only 4 more days! :)

Thanks!

Absolutely do not put cameras with undeveloped film in checked luggage ... the x-ray equipment is much stronger than that used for carryons, and it is highly likely your film will be damaged/ruined.

Recently, we decided to go with all digital. But, before that, when we had film, we did not even leave it in our carryon bags. Took it out and requested a hand inspection. The TSA people kept saying that the equipment used for carryons would not damage lower ASA rated film, just over 800 ASA or so ... however, I always insisted on hand inspection, as the TSA website used to (and maybe still does) indicate it was my privilebge and perogative to request such. Sometimes I had to press my point, but I never ever sent my film thru the carryon x-ray equipment. Repeated passes thru those machines will fog film.

I always carried undeveloped film in lead shield bags in my carryon. Sometimes it went through eight or ten xray machines before I got home to have it developed. Later, when cruising, I had it developed onboard. Probably my biggest expense on the ship! Now, some ships do not have the equipment to develop film, everything is digital. EM

We're taking our digital camera, but we don't have an underwater case for it, hence the disposable underwater cameras for our diving days. There will be only a couple of them, so I'll just take them out of the carry on before it goes through security, then put them back in before boarding the plane. Shouldn't be a problem.:)

Thanks.

We haven't had a problem yet... first cruise we developed on the ship because we wanted to see the pics, second year we brought them home and sent them in to Snapfish (cheaper). I think the second year's pictures came out better! LOL!

I prefer the Fuji underwater cameras over Kodak (and I live in Rochester... that's practically illegal LOL), and always pack them in our camera bag, which we carry on the plane. :)

We always take a few one time use ones along with our digital, and have never had a problem with the going through the xray machines. We buy them before the trip and develope when we get home, and the pics are always perfect.

Archived