I LOVE to cruise!!! Would I enjoy an all-inclusive resort???

ebandive

Please Help! We are planning a vacation in November for my DH & I along with my mom and her boyfriend. I have ONLY mentioned cruising as a possible option, looking at going on Carnival for 7 nights, either Eastern or Exotic Western. My mom recently returned from 4 nights at an all-inclusive in Cancun, and said it was nice because it really did include everything (drinks, tips, etc). But she also said the beach the resort was on was not that nice (no palm trees, crowded) and they had bad weather the entire trip. But she asked me if I'd like to try an all-inclusive instead of a cruise. She has done both, but her boyfriend has never cruised before.

Here is the top reasons why I LOVE to cruise.

1. I just get plain giddy when I get on a ship. I LOVE setting sail!

2. Love to watch the ocean float by, watching for dolphins, flying fish, etc.

3. love to be pampered

4. my DH can eat all he want and I don't have to worry about a bill

5. cruise critic! I am on here every day, I swear!

6. it's a great balance between doing (shore exursions) and relaxing (on the ship).

7. the incredible value. We don't have a lot of money laying around, and it seems the value of a cruise can't be beat.

Here are the reasons I am worried I will not enjoy an all-inclusive:

1. I don't like laying at a beach all day. I'll be terribly bored. and as red as a lobster.

2. We would go during hurricane season--what if a hurricane comes? We will be stuck, but if we were on a ship we would just go somewhere else.

3. I've heard the food is not very good.

4. When I look at the ocean, all I will think about is what it would be like to be ON a ship instead of just looking out at the water.

5. I have not been able to find a site like cruise critic to help ease my fears and give me more information (I am a plan-aholic)

6. Price! My God, have you seen those prices!?!? Surely, even with adding money for tips, drinks, and activities, it would not add up to what an all-inclusive land vacation would cost. (we don't drink that much)

7. I would have to fly. And though I have flown many times, it is still not an experience I am crazy about.

So fellow cruise addicts that have also done the all-inclusive thing, please give me your opinions! Thanks! :D:D:D:D:D

We always cruise and tried a all-inclusive vacation in 2007 and didn't like it. Food was fair to poor...besides laying on beach or by pool there was not alot to do.....plus with cruising you get to go to different countrys or ports each day. You might like it though as I liked it but my wife and kids were bored.

Please Help! We are planning a vacation in November for my DH & I along with my mom and her boyfriend. I have ONLY mentioned cruising as a possible option, looking at going on Carnival for 7 nights, either Eastern or Exotic Western. My mom recently returned from 4 nights at an all-inclusive in Cancun, and said it was nice because it really did include everything (drinks, tips, etc). But she also said the beach the resort was on was not that nice (no palm trees, crowded) and they had bad weather the entire trip. But she asked me if I'd like to try an all-inclusive instead of a cruise. She has done both, but her boyfriend has never cruised before.

Here is the top reasons why I LOVE to cruise.

1. I just get plain giddy when I get on a ship. I LOVE setting sail!

2. Love to watch the ocean float by, watching for dolphins, flying fish, etc.

3. love to be pampered

4. my DH can eat all he want and I don't have to worry about a bill Same thing at most AIs, plus beverages of all types are included.

5. cruise critic! I am on here every day, I swear!

6. it's a great balance between doing (shore exursions) and relaxing (on the ship). You can do excursions from an AI too, and you don't worry about tendering or missing the ship, the resort is not going anywhere.

7. the incredible value. We don't have a lot of money laying around, and it seems the value of a cruise can't be beat. IMO the value of an AI is just as good as a cruise.

Here are the reasons I am worried I will not enjoy an all-inclusive:

1. I don't like laying at a beach all day. I'll be terribly bored. and as red as a lobster. This is going to be hard to avoid at an AI

2. We would go during hurricane season--what if a hurricane comes? We will be stuck, but if we were on a ship we would just go somewhere else. Many offer worry free guarantees because of this.

3. I've heard the food is not very good. IMO the food is as good, if not better than you find on a ship and there is usually more variety.

4. When I look at the ocean, all I will think about is what it would be like to be ON a ship instead of just looking out at the water.

5. I have not been able to find a site like cruise critic to help ease my fears and give me more information (I am a plan-aholic)

6. Price! My God, have you seen those prices!?!? Surely, even with adding money for tips, drinks, and activities, it would not add up to what an all-inclusive land vacation would cost. (we don't drink that much) Price is relative, most rooms are larger than any suites, and all come with a balcony or veranda.

7. I would have to fly. And though I have flown many times, it is still not an experience I am crazy about.

So fellow cruise addicts that have also done the all-inclusive thing, please give me your opinions! Thanks! :D:D:D:D:D

It seems to me that you are looking for a reason not to try an AI, so don't because it seems that you are not going to be happy.

We do AIs as often as we cruise and I can honestly say that a lot of your concerns are not a problem. I have made a few comments above.

DH and I have done both. And because we always book a balcony for our cruises the prices between the two are comparable. Last AI we were at was Sandals Ocho Rios and it was really, really good. We had dinner on the beach, dh scuba'd almost every day, food was excellent, etc.

But, OP stated they usually book inside cabins so there will probably be a huge price difference.

My suggestion is you should try it at least once, maybe not this time since you seem to be in the "cruise" mode. It's like what they say about cruising - you'll either absolutely love it or absolutely hate it!:D

Love to cruise and love AI!!! We have done both and each situation has its pros and cons. I agree with a previous poster, research, research, research to find the right fit. You might not even find it the first time out BUT you will come back from the first time with a great sense of what you do not like!!! Our favorite AI's are in Cancun, we have had great experiences there! Good Luck ;)...

I grew up going to all inclusives in the Mountains in the 50's and 60's.

TIPPING AS WELL BACK THEN!

This was while watching grandparents sail out of NY harbor on all the majestic classic ships. But those bon voyage gatherings were great! Hated getting off at the sound of that horn.

Years later right before getting married, I had a yearning to back to the mountains, and reminded me what I had been missing.

Within a year, combined the two, and started my cruising fever.

Still years later, now I do both. We have three reservations for the same mountain resort and one cruise booked.

We too have done both--and loved both ! Our AI was in Cancun and our AI included EVERYTHING! We got 2 excursions daily massages vouchers for meals out and packed picnics for days we went on tours. We traveled with a large party of family members and the resort staff treated our family like royalty. It WAS expensive but worth it. Cancun has lots of things to offer besides laying on the beach and you can take your time doing what you want BUT we LOVE cruising! The three cruises we have taken were wonderful and a great value and we can certainly do them more often . We are currently planning a family cruise for 2010 and I am trying to convince those family members who haven't cruised how much they will love it!!

It seems to me that you are looking for a reason not to try an AI, so don't because it seems that you are not going to be happy.

Actually, it's quite the opposite. I posted my concerns and am looking for a reason TO try an AI. :p

Before I cruised, I used to drool at the Sandals commercials and thought it would be a dream of mine to go. Since discovering cruising, I find I can discover amazingly beautiful places at a great price.

It seems that many of you who do AI's are the type that usually book balconys when you cruise. It's also a dream of mine to have a balcony. So... maybe in a few years when we are completely out of debt (no mortgage and no car payment) we will be able to justify completely indulging ourselves.

But for now, I will continue to shop for deals, putting the extra money to paying off the house and car extra fast. Being debt free is more important to me (thanks to dave ramsey :rolleyes:) than having a balcony on a cruise ship or completely indugling myself at an terrific AI.

My conclusion: I will definately try an AI... just in a few years or unless a super amazing deal comes along.

Thanks everyone for all your input! I appreciate it! :):):)

I have stayed at the Omni in Cancun twice once in March 07 for spring break and again in August 07. I have also gone on 2 cruise. I like them for different reasons. I only go to the AI resorts with my friends and I take the cruises with my family. I love to see new places and like to go to as many as I can on trip which is why I like cruising. My mom thinks a resort is not worth the money b/c as she puts it i can see more places, get free food and drink for the same price as the all-inclusive resorts. The ship has more activities as well that don't cost money. That being said my friends enjoy relaxing by the pool or on the beach.....I personally can not stand the beach and can't swim so I try to convince them to stay by the pool. In cancun we've done the shopping and taking a tour of the city but that is about it b/c once you leave your hotel everything costs so much......As far as going during hurricance season, when we went in August 07 it was 2 days after hurricane Dean went through. They did not receive a lot of damage but the beach was not open until the day before we were leaving because they were cleaning it up....I will never do a trip like that again during hurricane season. For a week I was glued to the tv looking at the path of the hurricance thinking about how I was going to have to change my vacation and how I was going to get the time off again and it was a lot of unnecessary stress.

Keep your eyes open on cruise prices. You may be able to fulfill your dream of having a balcony for less than you expected, with the economy and all. Look for upgrade sales. Like the commercial says "you never know!"

• 3 weeks later...
We did an all inclusive in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic a few years ago and loved it. Instead of laying on the beach every day, we did some excursions and went to snorkle with the sharksone day. We also did a paddle boat out to a shipwreck one day and we checked out every lounge and bar in the 5 resorts that were connected together. The resort we stayed at was Riu Bambu. We also love to cruise. I kind of prefer cruising because of the different ports of call. Our trip to Punta Cana was $850 each including air from Tampa, Fl. Good luck:)

Im planning a trip to PC in the Fall, thanks for the mini review.

We have only been on a Norwegian Cruise to Nowhere out of Seattle last May, but are on the Destiny in April to the Caribbean. Can't wait!!!

However, we have been twice to Couples AI in Jamaica and are addicted! Lots of opportunities for included activities or laying on the beach, floating in the sea, eating, drinking, whatever, and it's all included!

If you check out the website you will also become addicted to the message board.

However, it is for couples only. So, perhaps one needs two different types of vacations? Family, with kid options, single options, and those for just renewing the romantic couple business? I know that can be done on a cruise also, but Couples can't be beat! Service, food, friendliness of staff, location, and everything included, from multiple dining facilities, to trips off site, to scuba diving lessons? Can't beat that.

Here's a great site for travel forums, they are for all the Caribbean islands. They also have:

United States Forums

Europe Forums Canada Forums Asia Forums Central America Forums Africa Forums Caribbean Forums Mexico Forums South Pacific Forums South America Forums and Middle East Forums

We cruise to find our next island vacation. We rarely stay at AI's as we don't like to eat or drink enough to make it worth paying the extra fee. Plus we like to go out and try the local foods.

So far we liked Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen, Grand Cayman and Aruba the most. We have also stayed at St. Maarten and Puerto Rico.

Archived