I LOVE to cruise!!! Would I enjoy an all-inclusive resort???

ebandive

Please Help! We are planning a vacation in November for my DH & I along with my mom and her boyfriend. I have ONLY mentioned cruising as a possible option, looking at going on Carnival for 7 nights, either Eastern or Exotic Western. My mom recently returned from 4 nights at an all-inclusive in Cancun, and said it was nice because it really did include everything (drinks, tips, etc). But she also said the beach the resort was on was not that nice (no palm trees, crowded) and they had bad weather the entire trip. But she asked me if I'd like to try an all-inclusive instead of a cruise. She has done both, but her boyfriend has never cruised before.

Here is the top reasons why I LOVE to cruise.

1. I just get plain giddy when I get on a ship. I LOVE setting sail!

2. Love to watch the ocean float by, watching for dolphins, flying fish, etc.

3. love to be pampered

4. my DH can eat all he want and I don't have to worry about a bill

5. cruise critic! I am on here every day, I swear!

6. it's a great balance between doing (shore exursions) and relaxing (on the ship).

7. the incredible value. We don't have a lot of money laying around, and it seems the value of a cruise can't be beat.

Here are the reasons I am worried I will not enjoy an all-inclusive:

1. I don't like laying at a beach all day. I'll be terribly bored. and as red as a lobster.

2. We would go during hurricane season--what if a hurricane comes? We will be stuck, but if we were on a ship we would just go somewhere else.

3. I've heard the food is not very good.

4. When I look at the ocean, all I will think about is what it would be like to be ON a ship instead of just looking out at the water.

5. I have not been able to find a site like cruise critic to help ease my fears and give me more information (I am a plan-aholic)

6. Price! My God, have you seen those prices!?!? Surely, even with adding money for tips, drinks, and activities, it would not add up to what an all-inclusive land vacation would cost. (we don't drink that much)

7. I would have to fly. And though I have flown many times, it is still not an experience I am crazy about.

So fellow cruise addicts that have also done the all-inclusive thing, please give me your opinions! Thanks! :D:D:D:D:D

We have been to many (over 14) all-inclusives, on many different islands. The most important thing is to research, research, then research some more, to find the correct "fit" for you and your family, just as you would for a cruise vacation. Read resort reviews, beach reviews, excursion reviews. (tripadvisor is one of my favorite sites) My family now wants only to cruise - they love the change of scenery each day and the multiple ports we can visit in one vacation. And we can usually sail out of bad weather - on a land vacation, you are stuck! The only drawback to cruising vs. all-inclusive is that we pay for drinks/sodas. If they were included in the cruise package, it would make a perfect vacation even better!

Maybe you should go to "Branson" Missouri?

What is that supposed to mean:confused:

ebandive....I feel EXACTLY like you. It is so funny, every single one of the reasons you listed are my feelings too. I looked at an AI last year and went....OMG:eek: The prices were crazy!!! I just LOVE being on a ship, feeling the movement, waking to a new place, watching the ocean go by.....etc, etc.....I just don't see myself ever doing an AI unless we fall madly in love w/ a particular island and want to go back for a week.

Sounds to me that you will not be happy w/ an AI so tell your Mom its a cruise or you'll send her a post card;)

I enjoy both type of vacations, we are planning a trip to Cancun in May...I love to cruise but I love to go to a AI resort too.

I have never found that the food was all that bad at a AI, and the drinks are included in the price. You don't have to lay at the beach all day. There are tons of things to do in Cancun, the Ruins, Swim with the Dolphins, drive a jeep out to the jungle, zipline, swim in a Cenote...

Try a resort at least once, but like a previous poster said...research, research, research....

We on our first cruise in 2007 and loved it. It was great, and now we are hooked. We went to an AI in Jamaica in 2008 and loved it as well. The food was great, and you didn't have to worry about anything. The only downfall at the resort we stayed at was no room service (in our room category - which was all we could afford). However that was ok with us - more reason to have a later dinner and snack around all day.

Both are great, but cruising is better on the bank account for us because we can just drive to 2 ports nearby. Flying is outrageous - but it was a great experience for my DH because he has never flown before.

P.S. - If you choose an AI - I can give you a great site that helped me last year.

Thanks for the info!

I know I will take the advise and research, research, research. I told my mom that it would have to be in the same price range as a cruise would cost for me to consider it.

I'm not opposed to trying something different. After all, I didn't know how much I would like cruising until I tried it!

careywv, I would love that site if you don't mind sharing.

Any other suggestions anyone can think of?

Thanks! :)

For the OP, the grandaddy of all vacation (and AI's) review & info sites is tripadvisor.com who just happens to be the owner of these boards.

We enjoy both types of vacation but bear in mind they are different. Just as cruising satisfaction depends on ship-itinerary etc., AI satisfaction depends on quality and location of the property. Depending on where you live, the pricing will be different. For example, a 5+* AI is less expensive for us than a cruise on RCI. This is given our choice of cabin and the money spent on things not covered by cruise fare but certainly covered by the AI price.

All of the excursions offered for cruisers are also available to AI vacationers with additional excursions available for AI guests which aren't practical for cruisers due to time constraints. The better AI's usually throw in a couple of excursions as part of your package. As for food, the better AI's meet or exceed the quality on mass market cruise lines. AI's are not just for laying around sun & sand, like being on a ship, you can do as much or as little as you want.

It is the old story, a committed cruiser will not enjoy an AI vacation and a committed AI vacationer will not enjoy a cruise. Something about pre-conceived and usually false notions :).

It probably would not be a good fit for you right now if you are going for value. Since you live in Fl, you don't pay airfair and are already saving $$$.

The AI's are great but you get what you pay for. The ones with the best food and pampering like Sandals, are very expensive. They do have many activities going on day and night and encourage people to participate. But for the most part it is hanging around at the beach or pools. Many will take you to there "sister resort' if you like. You can also do excursions or day trips. Some are free and some cost. Sandals did free trips to Dunns River and Golfing.

When I look at pricing, the AI seems more expensive but the airfair & drinks is built the price, so it kind of equals out for me. And technically you can go and not spend any extra $$, but I do end up tipping the bartenders and waitstaff sometimes.

Also there are more younger people and more Euro's (speedos & topless) than cruise ships.....

I had considered doing an AI last year but was, like you, afraid I wouldn't like it since I'm such a cruise fanatic. So, when we went to Montego Bay we did the day excursion to the Sandals resort to kind of check it out. I had a great time and it's beautiful but I don't think I'd like to spend a week there.

We hung out in the pool with the swim up bar and talked to a lot of guests who were staying there and asked them which they prefered and why. The main group of people who normally vacation at Sandals all said they like just laying at the pool and having all food and drinks paid for. Sounds great if that's what you'd like to do... a very relaxing vacation but I know I prefer the variety of different ports and activities on the ship.

Good luck and have a great time at whatever you decide!:D

Yes, those are many of my hesitations regarding going with an AI as well. In addition, I just don't know that there would be enough in any particular place to keep my attention for a whole week...I mean, you do the three or four things there is to do there and, then what? We're not big drinkers, either, so the "get wasted on the beach" angle doesn't really hold our attention. We have to save for atleast a year or two PER vacation, so I'm not about to jump into something I have ANY hesitations about. And can someone explain to me the concept and mystique of a "swim up bar"? As my husband said, "my *ahem, 'package'* gets soaked, people spill their drinks in the water and god forbid someone gets hammered and throws up in the water...what's so fun about that?" LOL ;)

And people SWEAR on the "deals" that the AI's give, I just don't see the massive price difference. Friends of ours just went to Cancun for like 4-5 days, and paid $1000 a piece. Right now, our week long cruise + our airfare is going for around $750 total. Considering we don't drink, and most likely would have to pay for anything off the resort/excursions anyway, I see it as about even cost-wise, plus I have an extra 2 days on my cruise.

I think there are very few "AI AND cruise people"...most people I've met are either "Cruisers" or "landlubbers", LOL.

The website is http://www.tropictravelonline.com but it is mostly geared towards Sandals resorts, which is where we stayed last summer. We went to Sandals Montego Bay and had a great time. The staff was fabulous. However, we could have taken 2 cruises with the amount of money we spent plus airfare. We felt the expense was worth it for the experience. Plus my DH gets to brag that he spend his 30th bday getting pampered in Jamaica.

We stayed for an entire week, and there was always something to do. But I am a big beach person, so I loved not being under a time constraint to get my beach time in. There were always activities to join in and nighttime entertainment.

We were just lucky because we went at the end of July and the weather was perfect. But one week after we returned home is when all those hurricanes and tropical storms hit. So, we thanked our lucky stars that wasn't us.

We did an all inclusive resort on Playa Del Carmen for our honeymoon, and then cruised a few years later with NCL. To be honest I would take the cruise over the all inclusive. Granted we had a great room, great weather, and a great time at the all inclusive resort....but the cruise just has a different vibe.

There were a lot more dining options, a lot more entertainment options, and not the same scenery everyday. A lot more people to meet and a more diverse group of people on the cruise.

Now with that said at the resort, drinks were all inclusive, as was all of the food (including the specialty resturants). And I didn't feel rushed to get back on the ship. And we did do a few excursions too so we weren't in the same place always.

I would say this, it depends on what you are looking for. If you want a relaxed stay where you have no where to be, you just want to relax by the pool or beach, take your time and not be required to do certain excursions on certain days..then go with the resort. If you like being active and exploring, having many different options, and don't mind spending the extra on drinks then go with the cruise.

Either way they are both great vacations.

Thanks for all the great help everyone! :)

I didn't mention that we always book interior staterooms, so between that and the fact that we woudn't have to pay for airfare, it really would make a huge different in price for us to go with an AI.

My mom went to an AI in Cancun a couple weeks ago and got an incredible deal about a month before the trip: 4 (or maybe 5?) nights (including airfare from Chicago) for $499 per person. So for them, it was a terrific deal... but when I can get a 7 night "easy saver" fare on Carnival in November for $399 per person... still not sure that even a super fabulous AI deal would be at the same cost-level of a cruise.

I will definately do more research. Thanks for the websites. :D

We have done both, and really enjoy doing both, but it is all up to what you want. The cruise is nice because you get to see different places and there is always something going on, you can do as much as you want or nothing at all. But the AI is nice because yes, everything even alcohol is included. We have done the AI twice in Cancun and stayed at the same place both times. There was three restaraunts to choose from, one being a buffet, and at the beach bar you could also order food anytime of day. They did have activities going on throughout the day and every evening even had a show, similar to the evening shows on the ship. They also had a booth there were you could sign up to do excursions (this was extra), such as snorkling trips to Cozumel and trips to Tulum and XScarat and different places, similar to "shore excursions" offered by the ship. But it all depends on what you want and what you want spend. We are lucky because we fly for free to anywhere, and get discounts on AI and cruises.

Please Help! We are planning a vacation in November for my DH & I along with my mom and her boyfriend. I have ONLY mentioned cruising as a possible option, looking at going on Carnival for 7 nights, either Eastern or Exotic Western. My mom recently returned from 4 nights at an all-inclusive in Cancun, and said it was nice because it really did include everything (drinks, tips, etc). But she also said the beach the resort was on was not that nice (no palm trees, crowded) and they had bad weather the entire trip. But she asked me if I'd like to try an all-inclusive instead of a cruise. She has done both, but her boyfriend has never cruised before.

Here is the top reasons why I LOVE to cruise.

1. I just get plain giddy when I get on a ship. I LOVE setting sail!

2. Love to watch the ocean float by, watching for dolphins, flying fish, etc.

3. love to be pampered

4. my DH can eat all he want and I don't have to worry about a bill

5. cruise critic! I am on here every day, I swear!

6. it's a great balance between doing (shore exursions) and relaxing (on the ship).

7. the incredible value. We don't have a lot of money laying around, and it seems the value of a cruise can't be beat.

Here are the reasons I am worried I will not enjoy an all-inclusive:

1. I don't like laying at a beach all day. I'll be terribly bored. and as red as a lobster.

2. We would go during hurricane season--what if a hurricane comes? We will be stuck, but if we were on a ship we would just go somewhere else.

3. I've heard the food is not very good.

4. When I look at the ocean, all I will think about is what it would be like to be ON a ship instead of just looking out at the water.

5. I have not been able to find a site like cruise critic to help ease my fears and give me more information (I am a plan-aholic)

6. Price! My God, have you seen those prices!?!? Surely, even with adding money for tips, drinks, and activities, it would not add up to what an all-inclusive land vacation would cost. (we don't drink that much)

7. I would have to fly. And though I have flown many times, it is still not an experience I am crazy about.

So fellow cruise addicts that have also done the all-inclusive thing, please give me your opinions! Thanks! :D:D:D:D:D

We did an all inclusive in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic a few years ago and loved it. Instead of laying on the beach every day, we did some excursions and went to snorkle with the sharksone day. We also did a paddle boat out to a shipwreck one day and we checked out every lounge and bar in the 5 resorts that were connected together. The resort we stayed at was Riu Bambu. We also love to cruise. I kind of prefer cruising because of the different ports of call. Our trip to Punta Cana was $850 each including air from Tampa, Fl. Good luck:)

We went to Beaches in Turks and Caicos, and while the facility was lovely and the food was "fine," I just didn't like the service. The employees were not very friendly and didn't really care whether we had what we needed or not. I can only speak for that spot, though, and we've always had great luck with the employees on cruises.

The swim/float up bar was great though. I mean, one side is on dry land, the other is at the edge of the pool, so you can float up on your raft, get your drink, and float away. Not much wrong with that. If one doesn't want to get one's package wet, one wouldn't be in the pool anyhow, right?

I have the opposite dilemma as we have onlu done all inclusives and when we put the pen to paper on both sides it all comes out to the same price or real close. The drinks add up on the ship it seems and on the all inclusive resort they are all included. The excursions cost either way. At an all inclusive you have no time factor to worry about and get a different view of the place you are visiting. More time to view a condensed place. More things you may miss with a limited time off a ship. although it sounds like cruising is like ala cart visiting. you get a little of this and that but never the whole view of one place.I think when people plan trips they sometimes leave out some costs. When i added our cost we add everything from parking to clothes and than average the AI to the cruise. We are going to try the cruise thing and see for ourselves what the rave is over an cruise, hope we like it. I also am not to sure about a cabin vs a room. I know you do not spend time in the cabin but we are people that like our alone time too.

Our first family vacation after Disney and before cruising was to an AI in the Dominican Republic. It was fabulous and very reasonable. This was a four star property, with very very good food and top shelf liquor, all included (Iberostar in Playa Dorado). There were specialty restaurants that you make reservations for as well as the main restaurant buffet. There were lots of trips you could take if you got tired of the beach. The nightlife was a bit lacking. The shows they put on were very amatuerish but entertaining. The city is nearby with clubs if that is what you like to do. The hotel service was unbelievable. There was nothing they wouldn't do for us. It is a poor country so tips are always appreciated. Anyway I didn't think anything would ever measure up to that.

I've tried both. We did an AI in Cancun a few years back and the resort and beach were beautiful but the food was really bad. The only meal I ate during the whole week was the breakfast because it had dry cereals. The drinks were watered down and the food was not even close to the quality on a cruise. Now having said that, I realize that not all AI(s) are the same but I would definitely choose a cruise over an AI anyday.

We've done cruises and tried an AI in Cabo last year at a brand new Riu resort. Overall, the staff was great, the place was spotless, and the food wasn't bad, although I got tired of the same old stuff. Although this place had four themed restaurants plus a buffet, and I never went hungry, it did sort of get "old" for me. (Of course, I like "dressing" for dinner and dining with tablemates which I didn't get at the AI.

Entertainment at the AI was pretty much terrible--far better on a cruise. And, there were no casinos in Cabo, so of course that wasn't an option.

You do have to coordinate your own activities, but AIs usually have someone to help you do that.

For me, my ADD makes the cruise a better option--I can easily flit from one activity to another, and every day I wake up, my hotel room has a new location. :)

That being said, I'd do an AI again. Its so true that any vacation is what you make it!

Hubby and I do one AI and one cruise each year. Actually doing the same cruise and same AI as we did last year as we loved both of them so much. We like the AI for a totally "veg" vacation. We enjoy sitting by the pool and relaxing in the sun. Last year arranged meet and greet with other Tripadvisor folks and we all gathered during the week for drinks, dinner and hanging by the pool or beach, etc. The only thing that we pay for in the end is our internet access. We enjoy the Dominican Republic and have been going there for the last 5 years. Check out Tripadvisor for AIs, they are awesome. I'm am blogging on both Tripadvisor and Cruisecritics as we speak. Most AI's offer excusions, so you can see the local culture. We like cruising as we like to go to different destinations and enjoy the activities a cruise offers. I have food the food on both to be good and have not gone hungry at either. In the end (for us) the cost of a cruise is slightly more as we do a balcony room, do excusions and we do enjoy our frosty beverages. Honestly, I think you should try an AI, there are many to be found in the Caribbean and Mexico and many have activities on site or offer excusiohs to see the local culture. Do some research and whatever you decide enjoy.:D

Pricewise, the AI's and cruises we have gone on are around the same price - with cruising being a bit cheaper. We are not big drinkers, but the kids can go thru diet cokes or virgin miami vices like crazy (me too!) At all the AI's we have been to, (they have been going with us since ages 4/7) my kids never "hooked up" with others at the kid's clubs - in fact, they hung with us most of the time. On cruises, they hook up right away with kids their ages - we hardly even see dd17 except for dinner and excursions. As we mostly cruise during the high season (school holidays) air is cheaper to Florida than to the AI's we have been to in Cancun, DR, Aruba, Antigua, etc. You are lucky you have 2 ports near you. It has been 25 years since we cruised from NY - it seems the cruise fares NY and NJ are more expensive than if we facted in flying to Florida and cruising from there! (and we are loyal to Carnival - at least till we reach platinum:p)

Archived