fly a kite off aft balcony

Michael Kays

We have taken several cruises and have become additcted to aft balconies..a question that keeps popping up for me is could I sail a kite off the balcony:eek:

anyone attempted this? We have a tradition of hanging a pink flamingo wind sock on our balcony..and would love to add a pink flamingo kite~

We have taken several cruises and have become additcted to aft balconies..a question that keeps popping up for me is could I sail a kite off the balcony:eek:

anyone attempted this? We have a tradition of hanging a pink flamingo wind sock on our balcony..and would love to add a pink flamingo kite~

You don't mention the cruise line but Carnival prohibits flying anything from the balcony....and flying kites. Here, from the website:

Due to "Safety Concerns", the following items cannot be utilized on board but may be brought on board for use in port, only:

Roller Blades/Skates

Snorkel Gear

Skateboards

Golf Clubs

Fishing Rods (packed)

Tennis Rackets

Kites (packed)

There will be reminders in the Capers to not leave anything on the balcony and to not attach flags and other such items to it. The balconies need to be kept clear and unfettered for safety reasons. In case of emergency, the balconies need to be accessed by ships personnel.

I was on board the Star in Alaska Summer 07. I purchased (solely for this cruise) a kite with a 75' tail and 9' wingspan. I packed it and flew it from the aft pool deck on deck 12 (?) with no problem. We had quite a crowd videotaping it and taking pictures. It was an awesome experience! With that having been said, we realized after 15 minutes that such a crowd was gathering that we had better count our blessings and pull it in. No one had shown up to tell us it wasn't allowed. If they had, we were prepared to play dumb and oblige by pulling it in early. Also, flying from a cabin deck will NOT give you the room to navigate the kite. Fly from a large public deck.

The winds are great back there, and it was a struggle keeping the beast in the air. A smaller kite would have worked better. You should have very tough string, and be an experienced kiter to prevent losing it into the water or onto a deck below. Have fun -thats what its all about!

I was on board the Star in Alaska Summer 07. I purchased (solely for this cruise) a kite with a 75' tail and 9' wingspan. I packed it and flew it from the aft pool deck on deck 12 (?) with no problem. We had quite a crowd videotaping it and taking pictures. It was an awesome experience! With that having been said, we realized after 15 minutes that such a crowd was gathering that we had better count our blessings and pull it in. No one had shown up to tell us it wasn't allowed. If they had, we were prepared to play dumb and oblige by pulling it in early. Also, flying from a cabin deck will NOT give you the room to navigate the kite. Fly from a large public deck.

The winds are great back there, and it was a struggle keeping the beast in the air. A smaller kite would have worked better. You should have very tough string, and be an experienced kiter to prevent losing it into the water or onto a deck below. Have fun -thats what its all about!

I'm assuming then a parasail is out of the question??:confused:

I bet if they can find a way to do this as an excursion while at sea they'd do it! LOL Pure profit instead of having to share the funds with whatever company they use in port!

:D:eek:

You need to get permission from the Captain and it is highly unlikely he will grant it.

While I have heard a rare story of kite flying with specially granted permission, it isn't common and I wouldn't count on it if I were you.

Archived