Free things on board that most don't know about

mistyinca

Check the Capers for afternoon tea time and location on a sea day. I didn't know about it on Valor, found out about it here on CC and went on Glory. There was an assortment of teas, smoked salmon, strawberries and cream, cakes, etc. plus a nice trio playing. Just an opportunity for relaxing (and eating more;))

Is this only done on certain ships/itineraries, or is it offered on most?

On they Elation, they had a free sushi hour, and a salsa and chips hour. Sometimes at the bar, they will put out potato chips or a pretzel cracker mix. Check the capers for "hidden" activities like tea time, etc. Free drinks on captains night, and if you're a repeat customer, you also get a party with free drinks and hors'douvres. Ice cream cones and ice cream as well, but not sure if they still have that.

On they Elation, they had a free sushi hour, and a salsa and chips hour. Sometimes at the bar, they will put out potato chips or a pretzel cracker mix. Check the capers for "hidden" activities like tea time, etc. Free drinks on captains night, and if you're a repeat customer, you also get a party with free drinks and hors'douvres. Ice cream cones and ice cream as well, but not sure if they still have that.

Hey Jaysouthworth...

What are you doing online? Don't you have a boat to catch! Dang I wish my cruise was here already! Have fun! :D

Funny - I thought it was a 15 minute rule!:D After all, you can do round trip to the cabin and back in 1/2 that time....

I was on Liberty Jan 3...and was please to see very, very large signs all around the pool areas and the eating venues on Lido deck saying that saving chairs was not permitted and that ALL items from an unoccupied chair would be removed after 40 minutes......and, actually saw it happen on 2 sea days!!!!!

YAY!

Camp Carnival will have a build your own ice cream Sundie on one of the days for the kids. They also have a decorate your Camp Carnival tee shirt for the kids. There was no charge that I can remember, even for the tee shirt.

The t-shirt thing was free on our April 2006 Celebration cruise. They had the same shirt in the gift shop for $20! I almost bought it but waited and got it for no charge!

If you go to the talks that are given (regarding the ports that you will be stopping at) they usually have give aways - sit close to the front as they usually throw items off from the stage.

Yeah they threw me off the stage once :confused:

Lots of people don't know that you can order any kind of drink that you want at the past guest party and Captain's cocktail party...Just ask your waiter(I always tip a dollar if they bring me a different drink)........Dennis

Lots of people don't know that you can order any kind of drink that you want at the past guest party and Captain's cocktail party...Just ask your waiter(I always tip a dollar if they bring me a different drink)........Dennis

Thanks for all these so far! Great info.:D

About that captains party/past guest party. This will be my second cruise with carnival, so do I get to go to these parties? When and where will they be?

Free dranks at the captains and PG parties.

Crappy poster at the art auction.

Coupons in the shopping guides for crappy stuff you can get free in port.

The cruise book in the cabin can sometimes be had for free if you ask the steward nicely.

Room service, of course.

Travelers checks can be cashed free of charge. (There is a fee for personal checks)

We've gotten a free pair of diamond earrings in Cozumel with one of those coupons

Of course, you needed a microscope to see the diamonds...

I know a guy who takes a picture of his photos in the photo gallery.So I guess that free.:D

No, that wouldn't be free, that would be stealing someone's work. I can see why someone would want to do it though because the cruiselines sure charge a premium for the photos. It's still stealing though.;)

Here's the deal...when people find out about something free they usually crowd/line up for the "deal". In most cases it is not worth the time for a free sample of whatever and time is better spent doing what you really want to do on the cruise. On the recent Glory cruise people were in a long line for a liquor taste which was a very tiny shot of whatever. Killing 15 minutes for a fractional shot is not a good use of time in my opinion.

Remember, if it is free then people will crowd around it and it becomes devalued quickly. The true free things are those that you find that enhances your vacation whether it is time alone on a balcony, exploring the ship or finding your own private/free activity.

No, that wouldn't be free, that would be stealing someone's work. I can see why someone would want to do it though because the cruiselines sure charge a premium for the photos. It's still stealing though.;)
If some one steals something how much did it cost them?.....0=free.

I agree about chair holders - we would take turns getting up early to save our chairs so our son, then 6, could be by the pool so we could watch him but we always had one of us sitting there. One morning, I came back to find stuff on the chairs next to us at 9 AM and the people didn't show up until noon!! Now that made me mad! We did meet some nice people the first day and we all saved chairs for each other so we could got and eat etc. but not for very long

Here's the deal...when people find out about something free they usually crowd/line up for the "deal". In most cases it is not worth the time for a free sample of whatever and time is better spent doing what you really want to do on the cruise. On the recent Glory cruise people were in a long line for a liquor taste which was a very tiny shot of whatever. Killing 15 minutes for a fractional shot is not a good use of time in my opinion.

Remember, if it is free then people will crowd around it and it becomes devalued quickly. The true free things are those that you find that enhances your vacation whether it is time alone on a balcony, exploring the ship or finding your own private/free activity.

Well said.

About that captains party/past guest party. This will be my second cruise with carnival, so do I get to go to these parties? When and where will they be?

Hi Misty, We're practically neighbors! I live in South Corona. To answer your question:Yes, you will be able to attend both parties.

Anyone that wants to may attend the captain's party. It is usually held on the first formal night during your sailing. The times will be listed in your Capers for two of them (one for early and one for late dinner seatings).

You will receive an invitation to the past guest party in your cabin some time during the week. It is usually later in the afternoon before dinner later in the week. Three and four day sailings usually don't have them, but your seven day cruise will definitely have one.

Just be sure that your reservation has your Carnival Past Guest Number on it. You can also inquire at the Guest Relations Desk about the date and time. They have cocktails, but also will show a video about Carnival's history and give you a chance to purchase raffle tickets for a free cruise at a discounted price..if that's something that interests you. (I personally enjoy the video.)

As to where: both parties will be held in the showroom lounge where the main entertainment shows are held every night. I haven't looked at your ship's layout, but I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out if you look at a deck plan.

I hope this info helps. Enjoy your cruise!

There were always plenty of chairs in the sun on the sun deck during our cruise. The only time it was crowded was when we were leaving port. Granted there is no pool, food or drinks there.

I don't have a problem with someone who after being in the sun for 30 minutes or longer leaves their stuff on the chair for 30-40 minutes while they go eat and or get something from their room.

My problem is with the people that stake out a chair at 8:00 am, go to breakfast, head ashore and go to the beach, come back onboard to eat, go take a nap in their cabin, shower, change, go back ashore to shop for alcohol to be smuggled back on the ship, come back onboard, change and go to "their" chair for 15 minutes of sun between 3:45 and 4:00 then go back to their cabin.

:cool:That person should be thrown overboard, but not until the ship leaves and is out at sea.

Archived