Cruise Critic member in Israel, happy to answer questions

happy trailer

Hello Ruth; We are in Port Ashod Nov 8 and 9th. We are looking to plant trees on the afternoon of the 8th. Can you suggest a tour company that might include this. This is a main goal for while we are in Israel as we have many family members that we want to plant in memory of. Or if you are familiar with the area we may even take a taxi to the sight. Thank you..Herb

You would have to contact the Jewish National Fund about tree planting. It is going on midnight here, between Wednesday and Thursday, I'll try to look up their website tomorrow morning.

What is the temperature in 2nd week of nov does it rain alot?

Mid-November will hopefully be mild fall weather, unless there are hamsins, hot desert winds.

And hopefully, I am thinking as an Israel and the terrible long drought we have had (it let up a bit last year), it will rain.

Thank you all for the great information that has been shared here. Ihavebeen trying to find some bus information and was hoping that someone here might be able to help me. My question is what do I enter on the egged site as the start and end Location in the city in order to get the bus information to get from the central Jerusalem bus station to the Jaffa gate. I believe that I want to take the number 20 bus, but not sure of the starting and ending locations. Any help would've greatly appreciated. Looking forward to our visit in a week and a half.

Thanks Tina

Thank you all for the great information that has been shared here. Ihavebeen trying to find some bus information and was hoping that someone here might be able to help me. My question is what do I enter on the egged site as the start and end Location in the city in order to get the bus information to get from the central Jerusalem bus station to the Jaffa gate. I believe that I want to take the number 20 bus, but not sure of the starting and ending locations. Any help would've greatly appreciated. Looking forward to our visit in a week and a half.

Thanks Tina

I'm not sure it works for local buses.

I'll give it a try for you later today.

Thanks Tina

There are several buses that will take you from the central bus station to Jaffa Gate; the most direct one is bus #104.

However, I rarely take the bus when I go to the Old City, as the traffic along the routes is always jammed. If you like walking, you can walk from the bus station to Jaffa Gate in a fairly leisurely half hour or 40 minutes (that's what I do). As you exit the station, turn away from the bridge of strings, and walk along Jaffo Street (follow the light rail tracks). BTW, 10 minutes or so into your walk, you'll pass the Machane Yehudah farmer's market, which is a fun place to explore.

If you prefer not to walk, then you have 2 other options, both of which will be faster than the bus: taking the light rail (make sure you buy a ticket from the machine before you board), or taking a cab (the fare should be between 40 and 50 NIS- approx $10- but ask the driver before you get in, and yes, you may be able to bargain a bit) and with luck, you'll get a driver who will delight in pointing out sights of interest along the way).

If you want to check the routes for yourself, here's the English link:

http://mslworld.egged.co.il/eggedtimetable/WebForms/wfrmMain.aspx?width=1024&company=1&language=en&state=. The starting location to enter is Jerusalem, Central Bus Station, and the end is 'Jaffa Gate'- but you don't really enter them, there is a pull down menu.

HTH!

Edited by happy trailer

Thanks for the info. I will try and find a decent map for us to walk there. Sounds like the bus trips and taxis can take just about as long. Prefer to walk places but was not sure how pedestrian friendly the area was. Have been to a few places where you just can't walk from a to b due to dangerous areas, lack of a safe place to walk or restricted access. Glad to hear that we can stroll down the streets and especially check out the farmers market, as it was on my list of places to check out.

Thanks again

Tina

Thanks for the info. I will try and find a decent map for us to walk there. Sounds like the bus trips and taxis can take just about as long. Prefer to walk places but was not sure how pedestrian friendly the area was. Have been to a few places where you just can't walk from a to b due to dangerous areas, lack of a safe place to walk or restricted access. Glad to hear that we can stroll down the streets and especially check out the farmers market, as it was on my list of places to check out.

Thanks again

Tina

You'll love the farmer's market- we're there at least once a week! Check out both the inside and outside lanes- they are all filled with restaurants, cafes, and boutiques in addition to produce.

The market is on the right hand side of Jaffo Street, at the top of the first hill (don't worry, it's not a steep hill).

Downtown Jerusalem is very safe for walking- I often stroll about alone at night, without any worries. And, once you get to the farmer's market, the entire length of Jaffo Street has been turned into a pedestrian only street- the only vehicle allowed is the light rail.

No need for a map- just walk straight down Jaffo Street. It ends at the Old City :-).

Edited by happy trailer

What is the temperature in 2nd week of nov does it rain alot?

Don't worry about the weather.. Think about Europe in Summer, only better. Even if it rains, it's nothing like those days and days of rain you can get there.. Here usually it will rain for a while - and then the sun gets out again. (I'll let you into a secret - most of us still manage to dry our laundry using "solar energy" - even in winter! :))

Another thing.. it may rain in Ashdod (unlikely), but when you start your climb towards Jerusalem you'll probably encounter like 4 different "weathers". Amazing for such a small country..

Please forgive my ignorance, it's been years since I was in Israel and have no recollection of how I got about places....my sense of direction is terrible. We will be in the old city, think dropped off just outside, want to also visit Ben yehuda street for a bit of shopping etc. what's best way to get from old city to there and back again to meet our coach back?

Really sorry if this is a silly question!

Also it will be Friday chol chamoed succot so am aware traffic will be a nightmare.

Many thanks

And shana tova

Please forgive my ignorance, it's been years since I was in Israel and have no recollection of how I got about places....my sense of direction is terrible. We will be in the old city, think dropped off just outside, want to also visit Ben yehuda street for a bit of shopping etc. what's best way to get from old city to there and back again to meet our coach back?

Really sorry if this is a silly question!

Also it will be Friday chol chamoed succot so am aware traffic will be a nightmare.

Many thanks

And shana tova

The Ben Yehudah pedestrian mall is an uphill 10-15 minute walk from Jaffa Gate (and you can pass thru the upscale Mamilla Mall for more shopping- it is located right outside Jaffa Gate). Add another 15-20 minutes if you want to go to Ben Yehudah from the Western Wall- but most of those 15-20 minutes from the Wall will be mainly steeply uphill, so you might want to take a taxi, which you will be able to get right outside the security check at the Western Wall plaza.

Not only will traffic be a nightmare, but you also need to keep in mind that stores and cafes will start closing before 2 (many will close as early as 1) and they will all be very crowded all day, with not only locals and foreign tourists, but also with Israeli tourists. So, you might want to start with your shopping, by taking a cab to the top of Ben Yehudah- tell the driver to let you off at Ben Yehudah and King George. The fare from the Jaffa Gate area should be maximum 30 NIS (make sure to set the fare before you get into the cab).

Once you get out of the cab at the top of the Ben Yehudah mall, to get back to Jaffa Gate walk downhill through the mall to Zion Square (Kikar Zion). Continue down Jaffo Street (follow the light rail tracks). If you want to go directly to Jaffa Gate, just continue down Jaffo Street. If you want to go to Mamilla Mall, you're going to have to bear right onto Shlomzion HaMalka Street (if you pass a Thai restaurant then you've just passed the intersection with Shlomzion HaMalka) and at the very end of that street, you'll see the Mamilla Hotel, and steps leading down into Mamilla Mall.

I really think that your best bet is to forget about going to Ben Yehudah, and instead do your shopping and eating at the Mamilla Mall, the Arab Souk in the Old City, and the Jewish Quarter in the Old City. Those will all be in the vicinity of your coach drop off and pick up place (it sounds like it that spot is right outside Jaffa Gate?) so you won't have to worry about traffic or hills.

There is a tourist information center a few feet inside Jaffa Gate, and they will be able to provide you with a map of the Old City, and easy to follow directions.

Shana Tova :)

HTH!

Thanks for all the help with our Jerusalem questions. Now I have some questions about Tel Aviv. We were thinking of taking the train into Tel Aviv and then taking the Tayelet path to Old Jaffa. My question is what station do I get off at in Tel Aviv and what are the choices for how to get to the path. Looks like a bit of a walk from any of the train stations and as it is a 2km trip each way probably not going to want to walk it all.

Thanks again in advance

Tina

Thanks for all the help with our Jerusalem questions. Now I have some questions about Tel Aviv. We were thinking of taking the train into Tel Aviv and then taking the Tayelet path to Old Jaffa. My question is what station do I get off at in Tel Aviv and what are the choices for how to get to the path. Looks like a bit of a walk from any of the train stations and as it is a 2km trip each way probably not going to want to walk it all.

Thanks again in advance

Tina

By the time you get to the train in Ashdod (is the ship running a shuttle to the train station, or do you have to take a bus or taxi?), and then a bus from the train station in Tel Aviv to the tayelet, you might as well just take a taxi directly from the port in Ashdod to Tel Aviv or Jaffa. For two people, the taxi fare won't be all that much more than taking public transportation, and you won't have to deal with train schedules and rush hour congestion (the taxi can take alternate routes around traffic jams; the bus can't).

I'd have the taxi driver take you right to the clock tower in Jaffa. Spend as much time as you want exploring the area, then head to the tayelet, walking as far along it as you want. If you feel energetic, you can walk all the way to the Namal (old port) in Tel Aviv, which is filled with cafes and shops. There will be plenty of benches to rest along the way, or you can just grab a cab at any time, to take you all the way back to Ashdod, or just to the train station to catch a train back.

I'm not knocking the train/bus route at all, but for a one day trip why not make things a little more pleasant and direct, especially if you're not going to incur a much greater expense?

Edited by happy trailer

Hello Ruth; We are in Port Ashod Nov 8 and 9th. We are looking to plant trees on the afternoon of the 8th. Can you suggest a tour company that might include this. This is a main goal for while we are in Israel as we have many family members that we want to plant in memory of. Or if you are familiar with the area we may even take a taxi to the sight. Thank you..Herb

These are the people you have to contact about the tree planting thing.

http://www.kkl.org.il/eng/

November 8th is my birthday!:D

Hi, my husband & I will be in Haifa on 11/15 and Ashdod on 11/16 cruising on NCL Jade. I have found a couple of news stories about missle strikes, schools being closed in Ashdod at the beginning of Sept. We have heard nothing on the news about any of this, doesn't really surprise me, the news is quite biased now days. But the cruise will be docking in Alexandria/Port Said as well and with all going on there, there's talk that we may be diverted. It seems to me the situation in Israel is worse, is this just "normal"? and we shouldn't worry or what. I've wanted to come there all my life and am so excited, but want to be safe as well. Can you just give us an opinion from someone who lives there.

I included the articles below so maybe you can explain better since you're there. Thanks in advance!

Marilyn

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/159807#.UGBbe41lTV8

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/160185#.UGBdGI1lTV8

Hi, my husband & I will be in Haifa on 11/15 and Ashdod on 11/16 cruising on NCL Jade. I have found a couple of news stories about missle strikes, schools being closed in Ashdod at the beginning of Sept. We have heard nothing on the news about any of this, doesn't really surprise me, the news is quite biased now days. But the cruise will be docking in Alexandria/Port Said as well and with all going on there, there's talk that we may be diverted. It seems to me the situation in Israel is worse, is this just "normal"? and we shouldn't worry or what. I've wanted to come there all my life and am so excited, but want to be safe as well. Can you just give us an opinion from someone who lives there.

I included the articles below so maybe you can explain better since you're there. Thanks in advance!

Marilyn

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/159807#.UGBbe41lTV8

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/160185#.UGBdGI1lTV8

Hi Marilyn,

First of all, before anything else: While the news stories you linked to above are current, I want to point out that the source - Arutz Sheva- is known as a right-wing, usually inflammatory, news organization. I liken them to the Fox News I remember of about a decade ago (I don't know what Fox is like nowadays): Their first ten stories were always about horrible crimes, violent attacks, mismanaged care facilities, and other assorted news that was guaranteed to make you cringe and get upset. I stopped watching Fox News long before I moved here, and I stopped checking the Arutz Sheva web site shortly after I arrived.

Next, the most important thing to keep in mind is that your cruise ship will not dock anywhere if there is chance that passengers might be endangered. So, if your cruise isn't diverted to another port, then you can feel reasonably confident that you will be safe while touring.

As to the situation here- yes, the reports you read are, unfortunately, indeed fairly 'normal' for Israel. Pretty much once a week or so, terrorist fire a rocket or two into Israel, and our defense forces are always on the alert against terror attacks. However, for the most part, the missles do not fall in areas frequented by tourist, and thank goodness, more often then not they fall in empty fields. Yes, schools were closed in Ashdod for a day, but that was a precautionary measure, and they did not stay closed for more than a day or two. Rockets do not often fall in Ashdod; when they do cruise ships are usually diverted to Haifa.

I can assure you that every day life in Israel is going on as usual. This year has seen our biggest influx of tourists in over a decade. Israelis are enjoying themselves. They are not leaving the country in fear or concern. Our oldest granddaughters (ages 13 and 11) came from the US to visit us in August, and we were not at all concerned for their safety.

Since the building of the separation fence, we've seen all but a halt in terror bombing, so that over the past few years, I've been feeling safer now on buses and in public places than I did for the decade previous.

Can I guarantee that during your mid-November visit all will be absolutely fine? Of course not. But I can tell you that as of this moment, I think you can feel reasonably confident and comfortable that you will be safe and that your visit to Israel will fulfill your dreams in the most wonderful way.

Hi Marilyn,

First of all, before anything else: While the news stories you linked to above are current, I want to point out that the source - Arutz Sheva- is known as a right-wing, usually inflammatory, news organization. I liken them to the Fox News I remember of about a decade ago (I don't know what Fox is like nowadays): Their first ten stories were always about horrible crimes, violent attacks, mismanaged care facilities, and other assorted news that was guaranteed to make you cringe and get upset. I stopped watching Fox News long before I moved here, and I stopped checking the Arutz Sheva web site shortly after I arrived.

Next, the most important thing to keep in mind is that your cruise ship will not dock anywhere if there is chance that passengers might be endangered. So, if your cruise isn't diverted to another port, then you can feel reasonably confident that you will be safe while touring.

As to the situation here- yes, the reports you read are, unfortunately, indeed fairly 'normal' for Israel. Pretty much once a week or so, terrorist fire a rocket or two into Israel, and our defense forces are always on the alert against terror attacks. However, for the most part, the missles do not fall in areas frequented by tourist, and thank goodness, more often then not they fall in empty fields. Yes, schools were closed in Ashdod for a day, but that was a precautionary measure, and they did not stay closed for more than a day or two. Rockets do not often fall in Ashdod; when they do cruise ships are usually diverted to Haifa.

I can assure you that every day life in Israel is going on as usual. This year has seen our biggest influx of tourists in over a decade. Israelis are enjoying themselves. They are not leaving the country in fear or concern. Our oldest granddaughters (ages 13 and 11) came from the US to visit us in August, and we were not at all concerned for their safety.

Since the building of the separation fence, we've seen all but a halt in terror bombing, so that over the past few years, I've been feeling safer now on buses and in public places than I did for the decade previous.

Can I guarantee that during your mid-November visit all will be absolutely fine? Of course not. But I can tell you that as of this moment, I think you can feel reasonably confident and comfortable that you will be safe and that your visit to Israel will fulfill your dreams in the most wonderful way.

Thanks so much for the quick response. Was pretty much what I was thinking, but since we don't hear much over here, I wanted to know more.

We have decided to trust the cruise co, I know they do this every day and wouldn't put us somewhere where we might get hurt.

Thank you so much for your quick reply, it makes me feel much better to know that, unfortunately, this is "normal" for that area so we shouldn't be overly concerned.

'Im so glad to hear that the fence is working, we hear all the time how unhappy they are about it, but I say who cares, when it comes to the safety of your ppl, I wouldn't care how unhappy someone else is about it.

Thanks again,

Marily\n

I know very little about Ashdod , but quite a lot about taxis.. And I don't imagine you'll have a problem to find one to take you from Jerusalem to Ashdod - there are a lot of taxis around and they need to make a living. Just pay attention.. most of the taxi drivers are honest and hard working people, but there would be some who would maybe love to take advantage of a tourist who needs a long ride. So notice how much you paid for the way " up".. and talk about the price to Ashdod before you start your journey "down". If you find someone to share then it's even better. Also - if you came to Jerusalem by taxi - maybe you can even talk with the same taxi driver about returning with him - or with somebody else from his "station".

Just a thought..

Could you tell me approximately how much a taxi would be from Ashod to Jerusalem? We will be ther in December and I would like to see a friend who lives there.

OK.. I found a local website with a price of 300 NIS for a taxi from Ashdod to Jerusalem. But this is not from the port (additional distance, fees etc) .. On the other hand, somebody on these threads said that the flat price of a taxi from there was 100 Euro (which is closer to 500NIS). One way! I hope that helped..

After searching various websites (Tripadvisor, chowhound) we made reservations at The Eucalyptus for our night in Jerusalem. Price range seemed reasonable and from reviews it seemed like it would be the right restaurant that would make our one night Jerusalem memorable.

Anyone been there and do you think we made a good choice?

Leaving for a holyland cruise in a few days. Does anyone know about the currency in Israel? We have 2 private tours booked which we can pay in USD. at the end of tour. For lunch, shopping, ect. will establishments accept USD. or do we need to exchange for shekels? If so, can we exchange in Israel, or do so before we leave home?

Leaving for a holyland cruise in a few days. Does anyone know about the currency in Israel? We have 2 private tours booked which we can pay in USD. at the end of tour. For lunch, shopping, ect. will establishments accept USD. or do we need to exchange for shekels? If so, can we exchange in Israel, or do so before we leave home?

The currency here is - as you already know - the shekel (formally known as NIS - New Israeli Shekel). And no, most establishments won't accept foreign currency. And no, there is no need to buy the NIS abroad - the rates wouldn't be in your favor.. You can easily find a Change office everywhere (Post offices are great too, but usually they have long lines and it's a pity to waste time there). by the way, the Change spots don't charge commission.

Enjoy your cruise and your visit here!

Miriam

You can also get NIS at an ATM, which can be found pretty much everywhere. Just be sure to notify your bank of your upcoming travel before you leave home.