Cruise Critic member in Israel, happy to answer questions

happy trailer

Hi Betty,

As promised :):

A friend wrote this article for the Jerusalem Post. Hope it gives you some helpful information!:

http://www.jpost.com/Travel/AroundIsrael/Article.aspx?id=177393

(If you can't access the article, go to the Jerusalem Post (http://www.jpost.com) website and do a search for "Tourism unbound")

that's a wonderful article!!!

the ending brought tears to my eyes!

since the article is from 2010, it doesn't mention the wonderful newly accessible beach in Herzelia. It's absolutely spectacular.

They built a beautiful glass elevator that takes you down from street level down to the beach (there's also a long winding ramp as well as stairs).

And down on the beach, there's a beautiful, wide paved boardwalk going along the entire length, perfect for wheeled visitors and near every lifeguard station there is a paved path leading from the boardwalk all the way down to very close to the water....

i have pictures, if i figure out how to post them.

I walk there with my mom every day when she visits. We walk slowly and rest every so often on the benches along the way.

i see they mention yad sarah in the article - that's the email address i posted before.

by the way, the city where i live is mentioned in the article - Raanana - a lovely little town about 15 minutes from Tel Aviv (at 3 in the morning, when there's no traffic :) )

Planning a cruise to be in Israel & Egypt end of November. What are the approximate temperatures then? Even tho it is winter in the US, will I be wearing any 'summer' type clothing? Packing clothing for 'cold' weather takes up too much suitcase space!! Any info would be appreciated.

Planning a cruise to be in Israel & Egypt end of November. What are the approximate temperatures then? Even tho it is winter in the US, will I be wearing any 'summer' type clothing? Packing clothing for 'cold' weather takes up too much suitcase space!! Any info would be appreciated.

tough question. it could be wet. It could be dry.

if it's cold, it will be like autumn cold in the US.

but it could also be hot.

you might actually know in advance of your cruise - there is a 7 day forecast. So maybe you'll have a clue as to what it will be.

but if not, i would take layers with me. So that you're ready for 80 degree weather. And 50 degree weather. And also with a raincoat, in case it rains.

but no need for a winter coat. Just layers with a raincoat is enough.

i don't even own a winter coat. I've never had the need for a winter coat in 30 years of living here. But i do have a raincoat. when it's cold i'm layered.

Like right now i have on a short sleeve t shirt and a zippered sweatshirt over it. That's pretty much how i dress all winter.

a short sleeve shirt, with a sweatshirt or sweater over it.

And then when it rains, a raincoat over everything.

but maybe you'll know already before you leave.

hopefully someone else will chime in with an opinion here. I don't like giving this kind of advice. After all, everyone is different in terms of what they like/need to wear.

i'm editing this to add that it gets colder in jerusalem because it's up in the hills. People there actually do own winter coats and wear them in the winter.

But when i go to jerusalem, i just put on another layer or two and add a scarf and gloves (if it's a really cold day).

the advantage of layers is you can take some of them off if you're warm. Just carry a little backpack with you to stuff your extra layers into.

Edited by alaska_planner

tough question. it could be wet. It could be dry.

if it's cold, it will be like autumn cold in the US.

but it could also be hot.

you might actually know in advance of your cruise - there is a 7 day forecast. So maybe you'll have a clue as to what it will be.

but if not, i would take layers with me. So that you're ready for 80 degree weather. And 50 degree weather. And also with a raincoat, in case it rains.

but no need for a winter coat. Just layers with a raincoat is enough.

i don't even own a winter coat. I've never had the need for a winter coat in 30 years of living here. But i do have a raincoat. when it's cold i'm layered.

Like right now i have on a short sleeve t shirt and a zippered sweatshirt over it. That's pretty much how i dress all winter.

a short sleeve shirt, with a sweatshirt or sweater over it.

And then when it rains, a raincoat over everything.

but maybe you'll know already before you leave.

hopefully someone else will chime in with an opinion here. I don't like giving this kind of advice. After all, everyone is different in terms of what they like/need to wear.

i'm editing this to add that it gets colder in jerusalem because it's up in the hills. People there actually do own winter coats and wear them in the winter.

But when i go to jerusalem, i just put on another layer or two and add a scarf and gloves (if it's a really cold day).

the advantage of layers is you can take some of them off if you're warm. Just carry a little backpack with you to stuff your extra layers into.

AWESOME - your info was most helpful! I live in SoCalif, so I don't own a winter coat either. I figure it is just TOO hot in the middle east in the summer for me to visit, but had the feeling it is much like home in the winter for temps. We are experiencing some really cold weather here at the beach right now, however, winters, are usually mild compared to the REST of the U.S.

I usually do some layers, but suitcase weight will be a problem if I have to pack to multi climates.

Thanks for your help.

AWESOME - your info was most helpful! I live in SoCalif, so I don't own a winter coat either. I figure it is just TOO hot in the middle east in the summer for me to visit, but had the feeling it is much like home in the winter for temps. We are experiencing some really cold weather here at the beach right now, however, winters, are usually mild compared to the REST of the U.S.

I usually do some layers, but suitcase weight will be a problem if I have to pack to multi climates.

Thanks for your help.

actually, this winter has been the coldest in many many years....maybe 60 years or something like that...

much colder than i ever remember it being.

but still i didn't need a winter coat...i wore a shirt, sweater and then over that a rain parka that i bought years ago at saks fifth avenue...it's for rain, but slightly quilted so not as thin as a super thin raincoat...

when i say it's been really cold this winter, that would be 50 degrees...normally it's not that cold in tel aviv.

but it does get colder than that in jerusalem. It can even snow in jerusalem. Once a year. if that much. It snowed there once this year, a few weeks ago.

look at the average temperatures for the week you're going to be here.

see if you can find the average for jerusalem and for telaviv.

that will give you an idea.

keep in mind that it can rain torrentially. I hope you have good luck, but if you have bad luck, you might come on a day of torrential rain. It's not quite as bad as orlando, where the sky truly opens, but it can be quite rainy. Flash flood sort of thing. Or you can get an incredibly dry winter. If it's dry, the temperature will be mild. they sort of go hand in hand.

This year we were pretty mild and dry up until January. Since then it has been very cold and nice and rainy. Which is a very good thing. We need the rain.

the more rain the better.

This year we were pretty mild and dry up until January. Since then it has been very cold and nice and rainy. Which is a very good thing. We need the rain.

the more rain the better.

Yup, we have had a hideous 7-8 year drought. This is a good, good winter.

i just looked for the average temperatures in wikipedia and this is what they have there:

November averages in Tel Aviv (average for 1881 - 2007):

Record high was 95 degrees

Record low was 43 degrees (i assume that low is at night)

Average high is 67 degrees

Average low is 58 (again, i assume that's at night).

Rainfall: 3 inches in november.

Average humidity - 66%

Number of rainy days - 7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tel_Aviv - scroll down to climate

by the way, ashdod and haifa should be similar to tel aviv.

ok...let's see if they have it for jerusalem

November averages in Jerusalem (average for 1881 - 2007):

Record high was 85 degrees

Record low was 35 degrees (i assume that low is at night)

Average high is 66 degrees

Average low is 54 (again, i assume that's at night).

Rainfall: 2.4 inches in november.

Average humidity - 61%

Number of rainy days - 7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem scroll down to climate

looking at those temperatures, i have to add that when the temperature is 67 and sunny, it might not seem so cold to a Midwestern American, but to an israeli, it feels downright frigid and you'll see some people really bundled up.

it's actually one of the easy ways to spot a tourist - they're walking around in short sleeve shirts, while we're dressed as if we're planning to go skiing (not quite, but close).

temperature is a relative concept.

looking at those temperatures, i have to add that when the temperature is 67 and sunny, it might not seem so cold to a Midwestern American, but to an israeli, it feels downright frigid and you'll see some people really bundled up.

it's actually one of the easy ways to spot a tourist - they're walking around in short sleeve shirts, while we're dressed as if we're planning to go skiing (not quite, but close).

temperature is a relative concept.

The nights have been colder than they have been in many a year.

But nothing like the winter of '82-83 when it went down to 0 cent. in Tel Aviv!

The nights have been colder than they have been in many a year.

But nothing like the winter of '82-83 when it went down to 0 cent. in Tel Aviv!

yes, we were in a rental apartment then - with no heat.

we were COLD!!!

just want to point out to anyone reading that post - the reference is to 0 celcius, which is 32 Fahrenheit - i don't want anyone to have a heart attack!!

Edited by alaska_planner

here's a nice little video someone took in the last few weeks ..

this gives you an idea of how rainy our winter has been...

these are different streams around the north of Israel...

sorry the titles are in hebrew....

the very last river, is the jordan..

the sound starts at 10 seconds...

the opening is mount hermon with snow on the top.. :)

Edited by alaska_planner

There is some beautiful country side. Thanks for sharing the video.

Changing to create international measurements... never will happen. As an estimator of manufactured items, I had to learn metric twice (early 60s and mid 70s) because metric was becoming universal. In 40+ years on the job, never used metric once.

Never had to learn the equation for temperatures (thank goodness). As one of you figured out, I live in a part of the world that has bitter cold winters. When we talk about minus temperatures, that is cold and it is in reference to °F. My traveling companions both live in California (Santa Barbara and San Francisco) and if it is chilly, they will notice. To my knowledge, now the majority of the U.S. weather sites provide the temps in both °C and °F which should make it easy for anyone. No reason for us seniors to have to learn a new system.

As far as changing the world, why make things difficult for people when it is not necessary. We all grew up learning the local customs that have served the natives for years. If they are happy and there is no benefit to them, why force them to change.

When we travel, we try to respect and follow the local customs. I am so hoping that Israel will have “western” accommodations, specifically toilets. I have learned to stand, however one of my companions cannot physically stand thus it is a challenge. It is even a problem for me, but one does the best they can. Also, I am very comfortable in shorts and a sleeveless blouse, but would not wear such attire in Israel.

Betty

There is some beautiful country side. Thanks for sharing the video.

Changing to create international measurements... never will happen. As an estimator of manufactured items, I had to learn metric twice (early 60s and mid 70s) because metric was becoming universal. In 40+ years on the job, never used metric once.

Never had to learn the equation for temperatures (thank goodness). As one of you figured out, I live in a part of the world that has bitter cold winters. When we talk about minus temperatures, that is cold and it is in reference to °F. My traveling companions both live in California (Santa Barbara and San Francisco) and if it is chilly, they will notice. To my knowledge, now the majority of the U.S. weather sites provide the temps in both °C and °F which should make it easy for anyone. No reason for us seniors to have to learn a new system.

As far as changing the world, why make things difficult for people when it is not necessary. We all grew up learning the local customs that have served the natives for years. If they are happy and there is no benefit to them, why force them to change.

When we travel, we try to respect and follow the local customs. I am so hoping that Israel will have “western” accommodations, specifically toilets. I have learned to stand, however one of my companions cannot physically stand thus it is a challenge. It is even a problem for me, but one does the best they can. Also, I am very comfortable in shorts and a sleeveless blouse, but would not wear such attire in Israel.

Betty

i asked my brother in law about the toilet question - he's a tour guide and teaches in the tour guide school here, so i guess he knows what he's talking about.

I asked him, because in 30 years of living here, i've never encounted a stand up toilet (those squat toilets people have referred to in this forum).

He claims they do exist but only in a very few places: specifically at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, on the temple mount (i guess in the vicinity of the Al Aqsa Mosque and the Mosque of Omar), and maybe also at the church of the Nativity (in the palestinian authority).

I've been to all 3 places, but never needed the bathroom so i can't attest to what they're like there.

But as i said, in 30 years of living here, i've never once encountered a squat toilet.

And many places have very nice bathrooms.

i guess if you're concerned you should tell your guide you'd like to stop at places on the way that have clean modern bathroom facilities. I'm sure guides have had that request before.

but again, as i said, every place i've ever been has had a least modern facilities. Some are cleaner than others as is true anywhere.

And i suggest carrying kleenex with you in case there's no toilet paper.

Betty

No worries, Betty- Israel is a thoroughly Western country, with toilets to match! You and your friends will be sitting comfortably ;).

As to dress- aside from visits to holy places, and neighborhoods which are populated by ultra-observant Jews or Muslims, wearing shorts and a sleeveless blouse in Israel is perfectly fine- and recommended for summer. But no need to pack them for a November visit!

Betty

The last time I used a whole in the ground toilet was at the youth hostel in Eilat, almost 40 years ago.

But do carry tissues with you. Even in fancy-smancy restaurants they don't check the t.p. situation as often as they should. and we have had soft t.p. in this country for decades, although I admit it used to be extra crunchy, to steal an expression that is used for something else.

As for wearing shorts and sleeveless, there is no reason at all not to wear them in most areas of the country, but I would not suggest wearing them in areas where such garb could put you in danger.

As for the respect thing, I sometimes see people that expect respect towards them and their beliefs doing very unrespectful things, like continuing to walk when memorial sirens go off.

Not being familiar with “Memorial Sirens”, I just did some quick research. Based one article that I found, Israel has two Memorial Days, both in April, in which the nation honors the deceased. I could understand that some lacking knowledge might appear disrespectful. And I do understand that there are people all over the world that do not comprehend the importance of various forms of memorials. However, using common sense, if everyone else stops, I am going to stop. Thanks for the alert.

A couple years ago, Ruth and I got caught in the middle of afternoon prayer in Alexandria. To say the least, we sat through the prayer service. In a different situation, I left Tiananmen Square before retiring the colors. I fully respect other countries' flags, but cannot salute them and I was not knowledgeable of the expectations.

The “hole” in the floor is rather common in the countries around Israel. I am rather surprised, but glad, to hear that the western facilities exist there. The most primitive facilities I found were in Bora Bora when the tour guide advised me “a tree or the ocean”. Tp is a problem everywhere. The tucks seem to be about the best option we have found. Put a supply in a little baggie and a person can get a long way.

Betty

The “hole” in the floor is rather common in the countries around Israel. I am rather surprised, but glad, to hear that the western facilities exist there.

Betty

With all due respect, Betty- you really don't seem to know about Israel at all!

We're a very modern hi-tech country!

Here's a short video about Tel Aviv. Hopefully it will allay all your concerns about visiting a 'backwater'! :)

Our desire is to see historical Israel. I have not even considered modern Israel other than the fact we will pass through the midst of it. And, as disabled, we are seeking the modern aspects of things being wheelchair accessible.

As far as public facilities near the historical sites, I really did not know what to expect. In both Egypt and Turkey, we have found public restrooms with both the hole in the floor and the stool. China, who happens to push the issue internationally, provides both styles in their most modern public restrooms. My big concern was because one of my companions cannot stand.

Ruth – You will like the Valor. We did a b2b on her last September and had a great time. Thanks for the video.

Betty

Betty,

One of the many delights of living here is walking down a street in modern downtown Jerusalem, turning the corner, and finding yourself with a view of the Old City :)

I can't speak of handicap accessible facilities, but personally, I've never had a problem finding clean public restrooms in Israel (I don't know if I'd include that in one of the 'delights' of living here, but it certainly is nice!).

Glad to hear you enjoyed Valor- I sort of fell into that cruise. I had booked a short cruise on Majesty the week before, thinking I'd be doing some land touring with a travel friend, but she really, really needed a cruise after tax season, and the best fit for our time table was Valor. I'm not complaining- I'll almost be doing a b2b those weeks, with a weekend to spend with my grandchildren in between cruises. :D

Not being familiar with “Memorial Sirens”, I just did some quick research. Based one article that I found, Israel has two Memorial Days, both in April, in which the nation honors the deceased. I could understand that some lacking knowledge might appear disrespectful. And I do understand that there are people all over the world that do not comprehend the importance of various forms of memorials. However, using common sense, if everyone else stops, I am going to stop. Thanks for the alert.

A couple years ago, Ruth and I got caught in the middle of afternoon prayer in Alexandria. To say the least, we sat through the prayer service. In a different situation, I left Tiananmen Square before retiring the colors. I fully respect other countries' flags, but cannot salute them and I was not knowledgeable of the expectations.

The “hole” in the floor is rather common in the countries around Israel. I am rather surprised, but glad, to hear that the western facilities exist there. The most primitive facilities I found were in Bora Bora when the tour guide advised me “a tree or the ocean”. Tp is a problem everywhere. The tucks seem to be about the best option we have found. Put a supply in a little baggie and a person can get a long way.

Betty

The memorial days can be either in April or May, as dates move around on the Hebrew calendar in comparison to the Gregorian calendar.

I was not thinking of you. I was thinking of some of the religious Jews who do not stand still, as they reject the custom as not being Jewish. Of course there are Arabs (Moslem and Christian) who do not stand either, for obvious reasons.

I'm not going to worrry too much about offending people like that by the way I dress.

Speaking of sirens, we had a test of the warning sirens in case of attack today. It was announced in advance, so nobody was startled. It also went like this ------------- instead of the up and down siren of a real warning.

We don't have a salute or a pledge here, but we do stand for the National Anthem at sports events, as in the USA. My dad was so in love with the country, he would stand in the living room when the national anthem came on at the close of tv broadcasting!

If you plan on attending a Saturday service in a synagogue in Israel, have someone make sure it isn't a "double portion" day - those can go on for a long, long time!

When I was in Jordan about 10 years ago, I only came across modern toilets. But I did not go off the beaten trail.

Have any of you taken the cable car up to Stella Maris Lighthouse, Church and Carmelite Monastery in Haifa? I am not able to get a consistent exact location for Elijah's Cave on the various maps.

Attempting to determine if our walking companion should walk back up the hill from the cave or continue to the bottom and take the cable car back up. Google map does not even show that the trail goes all the way to the bottom.

Betty

Have any of you taken the cable car up to Stella Maris Lighthouse, Church and Carmelite Monastery in Haifa? I am not able to get a consistent exact location for Elijah's Cave on the various maps.

Attempting to determine if our walking companion should walk back up the hill from the cave or continue to the bottom and take the cable car back up. Google map does not even show that the trail goes all the way to the bottom.

Betty

so sorry i can't help you with this - i rarely go to haifa and then only to the high tech area that's just south of the city......

so i haven't a clue where anything is or how to get there.

Sorry!!