Cruise Critic member in Israel, happy to answer questions

happy trailer

Than you so much to all of you.

So I see we can manage a full city tour by walking, all main attractions are within walking distance? From maps it seems so. You can take a taxi from the port to Mt of Olives. Start your walk there by going down to Gethsemane. Enter the Old City from the Lion Gate and walk the Via Dolorosa to the Holy Sepulture. Then cross the Jewish Quarter to Mt Zion and the Last Supper Room and from there down to the Wailing Wall and out of the Dung Gate. That is a loooooooong walking tour but possible!

Doing this without a guide?

Shouldn't be a problem.

Will it be the same as a guided tour?

Defently no! If you don't take the ship excursion Jerusalem is the one place i will not save the cost of a guide!

About Holy Sepulcher we can guess to have less to wait if we arrive early in the morning? No. It is all about luck!

Enjoy

We are taking a tour going to the Sea of Galilee, Nazareth, Capernaum, Mt. of Beatitudes, Jordon River, etc. from Haifa. We are also taking a tour of Jerusalem and the Dead Sea. Should our dress be more modest for Jerusalem or both? I'm trying to decide between skirt or capri pants. Are walking sandals good or athletic shoes? Thanks for your thoughts.

We are taking a tour going to the Sea of Galilee, Nazareth, Capernaum, Mt. of Beatitudes, Jordon River, etc. from Haifa. We are also taking a tour of Jerusalem and the Dead Sea. Should our dress be more modest for Jerusalem or both? I'm trying to decide between skirt or capri pants. Are walking sandals good or athletic shoes? Thanks for your thoughts.

You're better off with the skirt than the capri pants. In some religious Jewish places they make you put a wrap around even over long loose pants. I've never been in a Christian or a Muslim place where they really minded long pants, but Capris, are definitely no-nos.

I'd say athletic shoes unless the walking sandals have a lot of support.

I was in Israel for two weeks in March and visited everywhere you listed above. We never stopped anywhere where capris would be a problem, so it's really more what you feel comfortable with. A skirt will probably be cooler though.

I would also vote for closed-toe shoes over sandals. There are a lot of uneven pavements, curbs, etc and it is all too easy to stub your toe in sandals. (I know this from experience!)

Keep in mind that if you want to wade in the Jordan and/or bathe in the Dead Sea, bring along some water shoes. The pebbles in the river and the bottom of the sea are hard on the feet.

Keep in mind that if you want to wade in the Jordan and/or bathe in the Dead Sea, bring along some water shoes. The pebbles in the river and the bottom of the sea are hard on the feet.

Cynthia - Thanks for the reminder! Water shoes are in the suitcase now thanks to your reminder.

Marian - Thank you for your advice. I'd hate to be someplace interesting and not get to see it. (That already happened at the Duomo in Italy. I forgot my sweater on the bus and couldn't go inside with my sleeveless top.)

I think I'll go with long skirts, scarf, and athletic shoes. What a fashion statement! :eek:

You will be more comfortable in a skirt - it is cooler which is an important consideration in August.

About footwear - you should go with what you are most comfortable with. I know that many people suggest closed shoes and this topic has had some rather "heated" discussions on a few other travel forums. All I can say is that I am a major supporter of the sandals camp. If they are comfortable and you are used to wearing them (again, we're talking about good sports or walking sandals) then there is no reason for you not to wear them.

My job keeps me on my feet all day with lots and lots of walking and I wear sandals ALL the time - just wish I could wear them in the winter:)

We will be stopped in Haifa and want to travel to Galilee, including a stop at Yardenit for baptizing our teens. We cannot accomplish this on a ship tour, and private tours are too expensive. My husband & I have traveled by car in this area before, so we are comfortable with it, but I am mostly curious about the logistics. We don't dock until noon and the car rental companies close at 5ish. How difficult is it to get to the rental place from the dock (I assume we will need a taxi for this)? And how do I go about returning the car after they close? Thanks to any who can answer this.

The timing of your port call creates a major logistics problem. The issue is not getting the car - however, if you can't be at the rental office before they close then you are stuck - no way to return the car.

You are left with having to hire a private driving/guide - or a car and driver (and then the driver will do just that - drive only).

Have you checked the ship's tours carefully - often they include a stop at Yardenit.

The timing of your port call creates a major logistics problem. The issue is not getting the car - however, if you can't be at the rental office before they close then you are stuck - no way to return the car.

You are left with having to hire a private driving/guide - or a car and driver (and then the driver will do just that - drive only).

Have you checked the ship's tours carefully - often they include a stop at Yardenit.

Thanks for the reply! Yes. The ship's tour stops at Yardenit, but I have read other posts and they don't stay long enough for a baptism, only a visit to the gift shop (seems silly to me to visit a baptismal site without the opportunity to be baptized). Nazareth is the big stop, with no mention of the Church of the Beatitudes or the Church of the Fish & Loaves (places I would very much like my kids to see). The ship's tour would cost us $400 without being able to do what we want to do.

A car and driver is something I have not looked into. The car rental would be less than $100, if I can swing it. I would think the car & driver would be much more than that. Although I am sure a private guide would be very informative, $600-$700 is not worth it for us.

You haven't told us what time the ship sails that evening - or is the ship staying in port overnight - also, what day of the week will you be in Haifa.

If you are staying overnight, you can rent a car and return it the next day. If you are docking on Saturday, no rental agencies will be open. If on a Friday, they all close even earlier than other days.

A car and driver will probably run you at least $300, probably more.

Without giving us an idea of how long you will be docked, it is hard to say what you can get done in the time you have.

You haven't told us what time the ship sails that evening - or is the ship staying in port overnight - also, what day of the week will you be in Haifa.

If you are staying overnight, you can rent a car and return it the next day. If you are docking on Saturday, no rental agencies will be open. If on a Friday, they all close even earlier than other days.

A car and driver will probably run you at least $300, probably more.

Without giving us an idea of how long you will be docked, it is hard to say what you can get done in the time you have.

Please forgive me. :o The ship docks in Haifa at noon and leaves at 9pm on Monday, June 20th. Then we are off to Ashdod for two days. Now you have me thinking...., would it just be easier to rent the car and travel to Galilee from Ashdod instead of Haifa, considering the time constraint? We arrive in Ashdod at 8am on Tuesday, and don't leave until 8pm Wednesday. I know the drive would be longer to Galilee, but.... Just thinking. We wanted to do one day in Galilee and one day in Jerusalem, so would that work??? (just thinking out loud, so to speak) ....We got in on this cruise a bit at the last minute, so I am a bit disorganized and still trying to figure this out. Thank you for your help. :)

Please forgive me. :o The ship docks in Haifa at noon and leaves at 9pm on Monday, June 20th. Then we are off to Ashdod for two days. Now you have me thinking...., would it just be easier to rent the car and travel to Galilee from Ashdod instead of Haifa, considering the time constraint? We arrive in Ashdod at 8am on Tuesday, and don't leave until 8pm Wednesday. I know the drive would be longer to Galilee, but.... Just thinking. We wanted to do one day in Galilee and one day in Jerusalem, so would that work??? (just thinking out loud, so to speak) ....We got in on this cruise a bit at the last minute, so I am a bit disorganized and still trying to figure this out. Thank you for your help. :)

I guessed before that you are coming on the Nautica...

With all the changes in your cruise itinerary Oceania ended with a strange itinerary to Israel spending only one afternoon in Haifa.

Indeed your cruise company is offering a short excursion that includes only Nazareth and Yardenit, Tabgha and Mt Beatitudes arenot included.

Never the less if you'll take the ship excursion you'll have time to Baptize! and I am saying this from experience.

I must tell you also that a 1/2 day private tour from Haifa to Nazareth and to the sites of the north of the Sea of Galilee should cost you no more than 500-550$USD and to my opinion it worth it especially if you are going to pay 400$USD for the ship excursion and not get what you want. Renting a car from Ashdod and drive to the Galilee is possible but with all the over-mileage that you'll pay, along with gas cost (more than 8$USD a gallon) it will not be a money saving option.

Edited by motib

Thank you so much for infos. Here our draft plan... Any suggestion is welcomed...mainly on time to move from one location to another.

Leave from the ship at about 7. I see we need 1 hr by taxi to reach the Mount of Olives.

Visit the main places here and move down to the old city.

Visit the Temple Mount esplanade with the Dome in the Rock (what about opening time?) and the wall.

Move to the Via Dolorosa for the full Via Crucis up to the Holy Sepulchre.

Walk along the Cardo and the renovated Jewish Quarter. Ascend to Mt. Zion and visit the Hall of the Last Supper and David's tomb.

Back to the old city to the David Tower and Jaffa gate.

Back to the ship. Our ship will leave at 10pm so we think we can leave at 6pm.

Suggestions or other useful infos?

Thank you again.

Thank you so much for infos. Here our draft plan... Any suggestion is welcomed...mainly on time to move from one location to another.

Leave from the ship at about 7. I see we need 1 hr by taxi to reach the Mount of Olives.

Visit the main places here and move down to the old city.

Visit the Temple Mount esplanade with the Dome in the Rock (what about opening time?) and the wall.

Move to the Via Dolorosa for the full Via Crucis up to the Holy Sepulchre.

Walk along the Cardo and the renovated Jewish Quarter. Ascend to Mt. Zion and visit the Hall of the Last Supper and David's tomb.

Back to the old city to the David Tower and Jaffa gate.

Back to the ship. Our ship will leave at 10pm so we think we can leave at 6pm.

Suggestions or other useful infos?

Thank you again.

A few observations regarding your plan.

You plan to leave the ship around 7 am and take a taxi to the Mt. of Olives. One hour travel time is beyond optimistic. You need to allow between an hour and a half to two hours - you will be hitting rush hour up to Jerusalem and in Jerusalem. If all goes smoothly you will make it in less than an hour and a half, but not an hour.

Access to the Temple Mount is only from the Mughrabi Gate which is adjacent to the Western Wall. It is open from 7:30 am to 10:30 am and then from 1:30 pm to 2:30 pm only. It's not clear that this will fit in with the rest of your plan. Additionally, you will not be allowed into the Dome of the Rock. Non-Moslems are allowed up to the Temple Mount and can visit the plaza and see the outside of the Mosques, etc. but entry to any building up there is limited only to Moslems (this is the decision of the Waqf - the Moslem religious authority).

You can visit the churches on the Mt. of Olives and on the way down (Dominus Flevit and Gethsemane). From there you can go to the Lion's Gate and walk the entire Via Dolorosa to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. This will take at least an hour - more if you stop for devotionals on the way and then allot time in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.

You can proceed from there to the Jewish Quarter, the Cardo, Mt. Zion, Hall of the Last Supper, David's Tomb, etc and then to the Western Wall.

By now, it's not clear that you will still be able to visit David's Citadel (David's Tower) which is at the Jaffa Gate - it's all a question of how your timing works out, but it is very doubtful.

A few observations regarding your plan.

You plan to leave the ship around 7 am and take a taxi to the Mt. of Olives. One hour travel time is beyond optimistic. You need to allow between an hour and a half to two hours - you will be hitting rush hour up to Jerusalem and in Jerusalem. If all goes smoothly you will make it in less than an hour and a half, but not an hour.

Access to the Temple Mount is only from the Mughrabi Gate which is adjacent to the Western Wall. It is open from 7:30 am to 10:30 am and then from 1:30 pm to 2:30 pm only. It's not clear that this will fit in with the rest of your plan. Additionally, you will not be allowed into the Dome of the Rock. Non-Moslems are allowed up to the Temple Mount and can visit the plaza and see the outside of the Mosques, etc. but entry to any building up there is limited only to Moslems (this is the decision of the Waqf - the Moslem religious authority).

You can visit the churches on the Mt. of Olives and on the way down (Dominus Flevit and Gethsemane). From there you can go to the Lion's Gate and walk the entire Via Dolorosa to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. This will take at least an hour - more if you stop for devotionals on the way and then allot time in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.

You can proceed from there to the Jewish Quarter, the Cardo, Mt. Zion, Hall of the Last Supper, David's Tomb, etc and then to the Western Wall.

By now, it's not clear that you will still be able to visit David's Citadel (David's Tower) which is at the Jaffa Gate - it's all a question of how your timing works out, but it is very doubtful.

Thank you so much for your tips.

So I can see we have two options:

- move the visit to the Temple Mount in the afternoon.... so Mount of Olives, Via Dolorosa & Holy Sepulchre and based on the hour decide to move to the Temple Mount and take the Mt Zion as last stop

- or start from the Temple Mount in the morning and go to the Temple Mount using the local bus (which one? from where?); from there back to the Old City (by walking how long?) and continue for the rest of our preferred stops. Any time restriction to take in account for the stops other than Temple Mount?

Thank you:)

The Temple Mount is in the Old City, so I am a bit confused by your statement of "returning to the Old City". You can start there - take any bus that will get you to the Dung Gate and follow the signs to the security check for access to the Temple Mount (buses 1, 2, 38)

You will leave the Temple Mount through a different gate from the one you entered. You will be in the midst of the Moslem Quarter, not far from the Via Dolorosa. If you want to go back to the first station, you will have to back-track a bit but it is easy to find.

The Temple Mount is in the Old City, so I am a bit confused by your statement of "returning to the Old City". You can start there - take any bus that will get you to the Dung Gate and follow the signs to the security check for access to the Temple Mount (buses 1, 2, 38)

You will leave the Temple Mount through a different gate from the one you entered. You will be in the midst of the Moslem Quarter, not far from the Via Dolorosa. If you want to go back to the first station, you will have to back-track a bit but it is easy to find.

Sorry for the typo...

- move the visit to the Temple Mount in the afternoon.... so Mount of Olives, Via Dolorosa & Holy Sepulchre and based on the hour decide to move to the Temple Mount and take the Mt Zion as last stop

- or start from the Temple Mount in the morning and go to the MOUNT OF OLIVES using the local bus (which one? from where?); from there back to the Old City (by walking how long?) and continue for the rest of our preferred stops. Any time restriction to take in account for the stops other than Temple Mount?

I suggest you get an early start, start on the Mt. of Olives, work your way down and then through the Via Dolorosa. Keep track of the time so you can get to the entrance to the Temple Mount in time for the afternoon hours. When you are done there cut across the Jewish Quarter to Mt. Zion.

There is no bus route that will easily allow you the other option.

I suggest you get an early start, start on the Mt. of Olives, work your way down and then through the Via Dolorosa. Keep track of the time so you can get to the entrance to the Temple Mount in time for the afternoon hours. When you are done there cut across the Jewish Quarter to Mt. Zion.

There is no bus route that will easily allow you the other option.

Thank you so much

Just so you know -- it's the Gay Pride March, so the city is gonna be one big traffic jam around mid-day early evening.

Of course you are all invited to join in the fun, but do realise it may make getting around difficult if you are pressed for time.

Can you tell me how long it would take to drive from Ashdod to Tel Aviv? We are on the Silhouette arriving on 8 Sept. We are taking a ship's tour during the day to Jerusalem and are looking into another ship's tour which leaves at 8pm to Tel Aviv. Would we have enough time to get there and have a nice meal or is it not worth it for the amount of time we'd have?

Thanks

Frankie

Can you tell me how long it would take to drive from Ashdod to Tel Aviv? We are on the Silhouette arriving on 8 Sept. We are taking a ship's tour during the day to Jerusalem and are looking into another ship's tour which leaves at 8pm to Tel Aviv. Would we have enough time to get there and have a nice meal or is it not worth it for the amount of time we'd have?

Thanks

Frankie

The whole Tel Aviv deal is dinner and a Tel Aviv by night bus tour?

Well, its described as "Tel Aviv on your Own" and the description implies that they drop you somewhere in the centre. But as its listed as 3 hours 45 minutes, I didn't want to get there and only have say an hour or so before having to come back ...?

Well, its described as "Tel Aviv on your Own" and the description implies that they drop you somewhere in the centre. But as its listed as 3 hours 45 minutes, I didn't want to get there and only have say an hour or so before having to come back ...?

If you can tell me where they are dropping you off, I'll have a better idea of how to advise you. Tel Aviv actually has a couple of "centers".