Cruise Critic member in Israel, happy to answer questions

happy trailer

Our cruise will be docked in Haifa and Ashdod during the Sukkot IV and Sukkot V days of celebration. Would you have any idea what to expect during our visit as far as increased crowds or ability to see sights? Would there be certain times of day at specific sites that might be better to stay clear of?

We are still trying to determine tours and such and thought this information might help us plan better. Thanks so much for any information!

Definitely increased crowds at sights - school will be on break, and a lot of people get those days off from work. Allow yourself extra time.

Banks and postoffices will work short hours, but ATMs will function as usual. Govt offices will be closed, but that doesnt concern you.

Any others amongst my fellow citizens here care to add things I'm sure I have forgotten?

It has not been announced officially yet - but most probably the 4th or 5th day of Sukkot will be the traditional day for the Priestly Blessing. What this means is that many, many men who are of the Priestly clan - Cohen - will come to pray at the Western Wall as will thousands of others to be blessed. Putting it mildly, the Western Wall area will be extremely busy.

In all, during the Sukkot holiday, schools are off and many Israelis use this time to take family trips too so that many sites, especially in Jerusalem will be more crowded than usual.

During the entire Succot holiday, the Old City in Jerusalem is closed to private vehicles which causes tremendous traffic jams around it. Additionally all feeder streets to the Old City are also jammed. You could expect a "drive" time of over an hour from the outskirts of the city to the walls and then not find a place to park.

The best bet it to park around BinYanei Hauma or the Government quarter and take the special shuttle bus in. (most are free)

There should be no major problems around Tel Aviv but there could be increased traffic on the highways in and around it between 3-7 PM

There should be no major problems around Tel Aviv but there could be increased traffic on the highways in and around it between 3-7 PM

Tel Aviv is also more crowded than usually, esp. around the musems, and for that esp. the Diaspora Museum. I think it's free that week, and you see a lot of large families taking advantage of that.

The city sponsors all kinds of stuff at the public squares (crowds) and if the weather is good, a lot of people go off to the beach for the day.

But nowhere as need crowded and traffic-jammed as Jerusalem.

A review stated that Ashdod is a working port that can only be accessed by ship's tour buses -- not by taxis or on foot. I find that hard to believe. Can private tours get to the ship and can you return to the ship with a private tour guide?

A review stated that Ashdod is a working port that can only be accessed by ship's tour buses -- not by taxis or on foot. I find that hard to believe. Can private tours get to the ship and can you return to the ship with a private tour guide?

The first rule while living or visiting Israel is, that nothing is hard to believe.

That aside Ashdod is indeed a closed port. Regular taxis are not allowed in. There are one or two local taxi companies that have permits. One of them is Sea Mall taxis. Their phone number is *5533 from any phone in Israel.

I am not sure about private guides but I am sure that they know the answer. If they can't get in, you can arrange for SeaMall to meet you at the gate or have your driver let you off at their location in the city

The first rule while living or visiting Israel is, that nothing is hard to believe.

That aside Ashdod is indeed a closed port. Regular taxis are not allowed in. There are one or two local taxi companies that have permits. One of them is Sea Mall taxis. Their phone number is *5533 from any phone in Israel.

I am not sure about private guides but I am sure that they know the answer. If they can't get in, you can arrange for SeaMall to meet you at the gate or have your driver let you off at their location in the city

Almost any phone.

If you are calling from a phone that has to go through a switchboard "dial 9 for outside line" you need to add 122 to the start of the number.

The private guide I toured with was able to pick us up at the port and return us to the port. I can't speak for every private guide, but I am sure that if you are communicating with a guide or an agency, they can tell you whether or not they have access.

Ashdod is a working port, security appeared pretty tight (our guide had to show his guide badge to get back into the port -- can't remember if I also had to show my passport but may have).

Is it possible to do a Dead Sea and Masada tour without having it tailored to one religion? We signed up for a tour and just found out that it is the Christian Masada tour.

I'm not really aware of any significant Christian history related to Masada?

Isn't history the same?

Is it possible to do a Dead Sea and Masada tour without having it tailored to one religion? We signed up for a tour and just found out that it is the Christian Masada tour.

I'm not really aware of any significant Christian history related to Masada?

Isn't history the same?

History is history, but you are in a part of the world where some people look at everything from the viewpoint of their own religion.

Masada is very interesting, but I haven't the slightest idea how it can be linked to anything connected with Christianity.

Lemme know how your guy links the two. Should be enlightening.

History is history, but you are in a part of the world where some people look at everything from the viewpoint of their own religion.

Masada is very interesting, but I haven't the slightest idea how it can be linked to anything connected with Christianity.

Lemme know how your guy links the two. Should be enlightening.

I was quite surprised. I figured there was only one Masada tour available. I don't think we will go on the tour.

My family has booked GTI for 2 days in Ashdod and 2 days in Haifa. On the first Ashdod day, we plan to go to Masada and the Dead Sea. On the second day, we want to go to Bethlehem and also see the major sites of Jerusalem. My neighbor tells me that we must see a virtual reality show and tour the tunnels. Is it reasonable to try to tour the tunnels? We don't want to miss the Western Wall, Via Dolorosa, Dome of the Rock, and Church of the Holy Sepulchre, as well as Bethlehem. Do the tunnels feel confining? Is there a show at the tunnels? Thanks very much!

Click on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29492025&postcount=212 for information on viewing my youtube videos of tours from the port of Ashdod that includes pictures taken in Beth Shean, the Dead Sea, Qumran, Masada, Jerusalem and Bethlehem.

Click on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=29492103&postcount=213 for information on viewing my youtube videos of tours from the port of Haifi that includes the Biblical Cities of Northern Israel and the Sea of Galilee.

Please post your comments or questions on my Cruise Videos threat at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=926243&page=11.

Thanks,

Ron aka CruzerTwo

To answer a few of the recent questions:

1. Ashdod is a closed port with a very high level of security. There is only one taxi company (the one mentioned) that is pre-cleared to enter the port.

That said - tour guides can get clearance (we all know what paperwork has to be done to arrange for this) and so can enter the port to meet you and return you to your ship. This clearance can also be arranged for other taxis. This is not a last minute thing - it needs to be arranged a few days in advance.

Yes - your tour guide had to show his license to re-enter the port and you probably needed to show your passports too.

2. As someone suggested, if you are touring on your own, or did not pre-arrange clearance - you can use any mode of transport to get to Ashdod and then call Moniyot Ha-Namal to pick you up locally and get you to your ship.

3. Even though Masada is not associated strongly with Christian history, there are the remains of a Byzantine era church on the top of Masada.

3. Even though Masada is not associated strongly with Christian history, there are the remains of a Byzantine era church on the top of Masada.

Wow! I didn't know that! Never saw it, and I had what were considered "good" guides on my two or three trips to the site.

Is it worth another trip there to see it?

Wow! I didn't know that! Never saw it, and I had what were considered "good" guides on my two or three trips to the site.

Is it worth another trip there to see it?

The church is located in the southern section of the top of Masada.

It is interesting to know that it is there and that the network of Byzantine monasteries reached Masada as well. Not sure I would make a special trip unless you are following up on Byzantine churches - however, do look for it next time you are there.

Now that you mention it, I do recall our guide showing us the small Byzantine church, where there were some mosaics.

Bhealy -- can you at least check with the tour provider? I can't imagine there would be a significant Christian slant on the tour; perhaps the designation is only meant as a general guideline for folks looking to choose one set of sights over another. I would hate to see you miss out on seeing Masada and the Dead Sea for that reason alone.

When I had two days in Israel from my HAL cruise last year, I specifically asked for recommendations for historic sites -- not specifically Jewish, Christian, etc. But in Israel history and religion are so intermixed that you almost cannot have one without the other, as I learned when I arrived. On my later two-week trip, I didn't sweat it as much. I found all of the guides I had during both trips were well able to provide the history and context that was necessary without any excessive religious focus.

Thanks for the answers.

cruisemom42- We will still go to Masada, but I am going to do a private tour. I was trying to save some money and joined a group tour thinking it was a pretty standard tour. We have private tours for our other two days in Israel. Like you we want to go to historic sites that are not from one specific religion.

Thanks for the answers.

cruisemom42- We will still go to Masada, but I am going to do a private tour. I was trying to save some money and joined a group tour thinking it was a pretty standard tour. We have private tours for our other two days in Israel. Like you we want to go to historic sites that are not from one specific religion.

that's good, I am glad you won't be missing it. :)

Ron, Thank you for posting the videos. I have watched 3 of them and they are helping me decide where we want to go. I still don't know if we are going to try to visit the tunnels, but I am going to keep doing research. Maybe someone will post their recent experience.