Cruise Critic member in Israel, happy to answer questions

happy trailer

I am also worried. During the recent rocket attacks from the Gaza, the schools closed in Ashdod. I'm wondering how little it will take for the cruise lines to get cold feet and decide not to dock in Ashdod.

Hello:

We have booked a two day tour (jewish Jerusalem / Massada) with Guided Tours Israel in May.

I was wondering if you might be able to recommend a specific guide to use there?

Please advise and thank you,

Wendy

I can't tell you what guide to request, but I can certainly tell you who to avoid if you are a Christian. If you are Jewish he would probably be just fine, but our guide was very prejudiced against Christians and had our whole bus in an uproar with the inflammatory things he said about Jesus. This was even AFTER he asked if we were Jewish or Christian. I just could not believe he would say such things to a group of Christians. I kept asking him to please just give us the tour we had paid for and stop sharing his opinions with us, but he seemed to enjoy pushing peoples buttons. Our group was scheduled to do the Haifa trip the next day and about 8 people dropped off the tour because they were so upset with him. At one point in the day there was even a shouting match and 2 demanded to be taken back to the bus. It ruined our whole experience and I would never use him again. His name was Michael or Michele (not sure how to spell it) If you book with this company and you are a Christian I would certainly ask Alon to send you a different guide unless you enjoy hearing that Jesus was just a common man born to a prostitute, etc. etc. etc. I was on vacation and wanted to see Jerusalem from the perspective of all 3 religions, not be a captive audience to someone else's religions ranting. Also they will not take you to the Dome of the Rock. He will tell you it is closed (but it was not) I think for religious reason Jews do not go up there, which I have no problem with, but I did ask about it prior to our tour and was told we could go there if we asked our guide to take us. I do realize this company comes highly recommended as I did all my research prior to booking with them. I am sure there are many very good guides with this company, but this guide was touted as one of their BEST and was certainly not what we expected.

Edited by cwuer
added more info

I can't tell you what guide to request, but I can certainly tell you who to avoid if you are a Christian. If you are Jewish he would probably be just fine, but our guide was very prejudiced against Christians and had our whole bus in an uproar with the inflammatory things he said about Jesus. This was even AFTER he asked if we were Jewish or Christian. I just could not believe he would say such things to a group of Christians. I kept asking him to please just give us the tour we had paid for and stop sharing his opinions with us, but he seemed to enjoy pushing peoples buttons. Our group was scheduled to do the Haifa trip the next day and about 8 people dropped off the tour because they were so upset with him. At one point in the day there was even a shouting match and 2 demanded to be taken back to the bus. It ruined our whole experience and I would never use him again. His name was Michael or Michele (not sure how to spell it) If you book with this company and you are a Christian I would certainly ask Alon to send you a different guide unless you enjoy hearing that Jesus was just a common man born to a prostitute, etc. etc. etc. I was on vacation and wanted to see Jerusalem from the perspective of all 3 religions, not be a captive audience to someone else's religions ranting. Also they will not take you to the Dome of the Rock. He will tell you it is closed (but it was not) I think for religious reason Jews do not go up there, which I have no problem with, but I did ask about it prior to our tour and was told we could go there if we asked our guide to take us. I do realize this company comes highly recommended as I did all my research prior to booking with them. I am sure there are many very good guides with this company, but this guide was touted as one of their BEST and was certainly not what we expected.

I'm sorry that you were, insulted and shafted by yourg guide. Lots of guides have religious/political agendas here, but that guy sounds like he walked to the end of the block and turned the corner as a gal I knew from LA used to day.

The Dome in fact is only open to tourists on and off, and can be closed to them in the blink of an eye if certain events start up.

I'm sorry that you were, insulted and shafted by yourg guide. Lots of guides have religious/political agendas here, but that guy sounds like he walked to the end of the block and turned the corner as a gal I knew from LA used to day.

The Dome in fact is only open to tourists on and off, and can be closed to them in the blink of an eye if certain events start up.

Actually the guide was not that young, I'd say he was in his late 40's. As for the Dome being closed I would have believed him except so many others on our ship that went on tours with other companies were able to go to it, so I knew then he had not told the truth. That was something we really did want to do as well. I am sure there are other guides with this company that are fantastic and this guide was certainly very knowledgeable. There were many other issues, just takes too long to list them all and brings back such bad memories. This was a year ago and I am only just now writing about it, and only because I saw this thread in my emai with someone asking for guide recommendation from this company.

I am also worried. During the recent rocket attacks from the Gaza, the schools closed in Ashdod. I'm wondering how little it will take for the cruise lines to get cold feet and decide not to dock in Ashdod.

I would hope they would then do a 2 day stay in Haifa... wouldn't make that big a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Can one walk directly from the ship to the Haifa passenger terminal. I am in a wheelchair and so cannot board a bus. And once in the terminal can we hire a cab to take us to Tiberius and back as the tour companies do not offer half day tours (our ship, the Celebrity Silhouette) docks at 1:00 p.m.

I don't know for sure about the wheelchair, but I think so. It's not as if between the wars and the crazy drivers here there aren't people of all ages on wheel chairs everywhere.

Now, as far as that cabbie is concerned, most cab drivers don't have guide licenses.

And be sure to check the fare schedule - they should take it out of the glove compartment to show to you - when they give you a price.

If you are going to pay in foreign currency check the exchange rates, don't take their word for it.

Granted, you're not going to experience rain in Israel during the summer (although every now and then we'll get a very brief summer shower after a sandstorm), and the chance of snow is small most winters (but we do get a light dusting around Jerusalem at least once most years, and a full snowstorm every few years), but I thought I'd mention that, as I sit writing this, there's a thunderstorm outside- and not the first one we've had today. A week ago, we had a day filled with hail and strong rain, followed by a couple of days in the 80's, then a mix of cool and hot days and last night was fairly warm, even in the Jerusalem area where I live. Thunderstorms this late in the season have become a bit more common over the years, but unusual enough that many people will tell you not to worry about them at all by mid-April.

Just something to keep in mind when planning for your upcoming cruise to Israel :)

Hi Ruth,

My husband and I are on the Mariner in July. We have a tour planned in Jerusealum, but can't decide what to do in Haifa. While in the Haifa area, we would like to see a Kibbutz as part of our touring. We are open to suggestions. We thought about a Jewish tour, but we don't see many that interest us. We did see a tour that included both Haifa and Tel Aviv. Do you think that is practical? Since we are not religious, we don't want to spend the day at a lot of religious sites.

Please help!

shalom

Hi Ruth,

My husband and I are on the Mariner in July. We have a tour planned in Jerusealum, but can't decide what to do in Haifa. While in the Haifa area, we would like to see a Kibbutz as part of our touring. We are open to suggestions. We thought about a Jewish tour, but we don't see many that interest us. We did see a tour that included both Haifa and Tel Aviv. Do you think that is practical? Since we are not religious, we don't want to spend the day at a lot of religious sites.

Please help!

shalom

Take the train (they run often between the port of Haifa and Tel Aviv) and spend the day in my time.

Gimme a few minutes to read my mail and I will post both the train schedule and the municipality tourist advice site.

Take the train (they run often between the port of Haifa and Tel Aviv) and spend the day in my time.

Gimme a few minutes to read my mail and I will post both the train schedule and the municipality tourist advice site.

Thank you for your info. We have not even thought about doing that, but it does sound like a good idea. Since neither of us is religious, we don't speak any Hebrew. Do you think we would have a problem getting around on the trains, and in Tel Aviv? Are the trains a safe way to travel in Isreal? Have there been any incidences on the trains lately?

My husband thought that since we don't speak the language, and are not familiar with the customs, that a tour would be better for us.

If we should consider the train, what station in Haifa would be use (close to the port), and what station would put us in the heart of things in Tel Aviv?

Thanks again.

There are a lot of sites around Haifa that aren't religious (and are closer than Tel Aviv) if you are interested. I really enjoyed visiting Caesarea, it's a very interesting port from Roman times that includes a beautiful theatre right on the water, a hippodrome, and remains of a palace built by Herod the Great....among other sights.

Another option is Akko, which is just across the bay from Haifa and has wonderful underground ruins from the Crusader era as well as an interesting market area.

Thank you for your info. We have not even thought about doing that, but it does sound like a good idea. Since neither of us is religious, we don't speak any Hebrew. Do you think we would have a problem getting around on the trains, and in Tel Aviv? Are the trains a safe way to travel in Isreal? Have there been any incidences on the trains lately?

My husband thought that since we don't speak the language, and are not familiar with the customs, that a tour would be better for us.

If we should consider the train, what station in Haifa would be use (close to the port), and what station would put us in the heart of things in Tel Aviv?

Thanks again.

Almost everybody in Israel speaks some English (or thinks they do! :p). There is a train station listed as "Haifa Port", but I don't know how close it actually is to the port itself. I would assume the concierge knows (s/he should!}. I can't remember a single terrorist incident on a train, only a few accidents over the years, none on an Amtrack level. Once in Tel Aviv you would be taking buses (you can get an all day pass on the first bus you board), no intracity train system. The best stations to get off at are the Central (Savidor) Station. It's the 2nd stop in Tel Aviv.Walk down Arlozorov Street to Ibn Gvirol and turn left on IG. You will be on one of the main streets, and if you continue for 4 blocks you will get to the Municipality and the Rabin Memorial. Ibn Gvirol likes to think of itself as a bit like 2nd Avenue in NYC, and they really aren't far from being wrong. You should be able to go upstairs in the Municipality and get tourist info.

Another possibility is to get off at the stop after that, the Shalom/Azrieli Mall, and take Bus 63 (across the street) to mid town - South Ben Yehuda/Allenby, the classic T-A of the 1930s.

There are a lot of sites around Haifa that aren't religious (and are closer than Tel Aviv) if you are interested. I really enjoyed visiting Caesarea, it's a very interesting port from Roman times that includes a beautiful theatre right on the water, a hippodrome, and remains of a palace built by Herod the Great....among other sights.

Another option is Akko, which is just across the bay from Haifa and has wonderful underground ruins from the Crusader era as well as an interesting market area.

Thanks again.

Almost everybody in Israel speaks some English (or thinks they do! :p). There is a train station listed as "Haifa Port", but I don't know how close it actually is to the port itself. I would assume the concierge knows (s/he should!}. I can't remember a single terrorist incident on a train, only a few accidents over the years, none on an Amtrack level. Once in Tel Aviv you would be taking buses (you can get an all day pass on the first bus you board), no intracity train system. The best stations to get off at are the Central (Savidor) Station. It's the 2nd stop in Tel Aviv.Walk down Arlozorov Street to Ibn Gvirol and turn left on IG. You will be on one of the main streets, and if you continue for 4 blocks you will get to the Municipality and the Rabin Memorial. Ibn Gvirol likes to think of itself as a bit like 2nd Avenue in NYC, and they really aren't far from being wrong. You should be able to go upstairs in the Municipality and get tourist info.

Another possibility is to get off at the stop after that, the Shalom/Azrieli Mall, and take Bus 63 (across the street) to mid town - South Ben Yehuda/Allenby, the classic T-A of the 1930s. The Shouk (open air market) is on Allenby, and side by side to it on Tuesdays and Fridays is an artists market.

You can take the train to Caesarea, too. But be sure you get on the milk train, not every train stops there. You can get a cab to the ancient port/archeological site, it should cost between 75-100 shekels.

You can take a train to Akko, also, but they don't run very frequently, so you are best with a bus or sherut (shared taxi). If you take a "Special" which is a regular taxi, make the driver show you the table with prices in English and Hebrew.

Edited by Marian Paroo

You can take a train to Akko, also, but they don't run very frequently, so you are best with a bus or sherut (shared taxi). If you take a "Special" which is a regular taxi, make the driver show you the table with prices in English and Hebrew.

Does the sherut to Akko run on Shabbat, or would we need to take a regular taxi? Would a regular taxi's price table show prices between Akko and Rosh Hanikra? How would we get a taxi from Rosh Hanikra for the return?

Does the sherut to Akko run on Shabbat, or would we need to take a regular taxi? Would a regular taxi's price table show prices between Akko and Rosh Hanikra? How would we get a taxi from Rosh Hanikra for the return?

All the sherut taxis run on Saturday, frequency depends on the route. Since Hafia is a mixed city, and Akko is an Arab (mostly Muslim) city, there would be no problem with sheruts between those two places on Saturday.

There should be a rate on the table between Akko and Rosh Hanikra, and my guess is there will be taxis on site at Rosh Hanikra to take you back. Or, you could negotiate a wait rate with cab that took you there, or ask for a return in x time. There is a nationwide number for getting a cab anywhere, but that number works from Israeli cellular phones only. I'll try to see if there is a number that works from land lines or foreign cell phones.

My son, DIL, myself and 18 month old grandson will be going on a RCCL cruise in September. The itinerary dropped the 2 days in Egypt, so we will have 4 consecutive days in Israel! We arrive 7:00a.m. Monday for 2 full days in Haifa, sailing 10:00p.m. Tuesday nite. We dock Ashdod 7:00 Wednesday and leave 10:00 Thursday nite.

I'm so happy with this turn of events because I can't see anything more meaningful then showing my DIL who converted to Judaism the highlights of Israel. I've been twice, my son, 1 time. I need help developing an A list of sites for the North and Jerusalem & the Negev. We'll have the baby, but as long as he has Cheerios and a drink, the sites won't matter to him.

My thoughts are to spend 1 day in Jerusalem concentrating on the Wall and shopping in the old city and having lunch, spending all morning and early afternoon. Then take a bus to Yad Vashem and then back to the city for dinner and walking around Ben Yehuda Sq. My questions are: Do my plans for the day seem reasonable? If the answer is yes, how best to get the 4 of us, plus an umbrella stroller from Port to the city? Do we need a car seat with us? I only hesitate to rent a car because I think driving in Jerusalem traffic is for pro's (not us). I did it last time I was there and swore, never again! Would we have time to do the Tunnel Tour, and can the baby go? Is it feasible to go back to the ship, or makes more sense to stay in Jerusalem for the nite?

The next day I want to go to Masada early, and then spend the day at the Dead Sea. How far from Ashdod is that ride? Should we do the 2 days in Jerusalem like that or does doing the Negev 1st make any sense, still spending the evening at Ben Yehuda? And last, how do we get from Masada to the Dead Sea, if we don't have a car?

I'm much more confused about the Haifa port. I don't want to spend time in Haifa. I want my kids to see Safad, and the Gallilee. Should we rent a car for that or get a guide? I also like the idea of Glil (?) where you can horseback ride. I have heard it's really lovely and a hippie throwback. They would love it, me too! I need some guidance on how to break up the 2 days so it's fun & interesting. My kids are interested in religion (philosophically) and history and nature and fun. I love shopping and all the rest. Can you help us? I'm sorry, the answer may be here in the 420 or so posts, but I don't have time to get thru them all. Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on how to spend our time. Mary

Galil. Galilee in English. Not a hippie throwback by any means (and I'm originally from the USA and grew up in the 60s and don't use that word in a negative sense). Where did you hear that?

There are a number of places where you can ride, if Vered HaGalil is still there, that is probably the best. You might try Goggling "Galilee horse riding" or something like that. It's a great place for nature. If you are daring enough to drive here, by all means rent a car, but Israeli drivers are rather, well, agressive.

If you are interested in Sefad because of the Artists' Colony, it is all but gone. The place has become an enclave of religious Jews, with a lot of born again (Jews) types. It has always historically been associated with Kabbalh, but for the past decade or two it has been associated with a much so-called-Kabbah which would have the ancient sages rolling in their graves.

Galil. Galilee in English. Not a hippie throwback by any means (and I'm originally from the USA and grew up in the 60s and don't use that word in a negative sense). Where did you hear that?

There are a number of places where you can ride, if Vered HaGalil is still there, that is probably the best. You might try Goggling "Galilee horse riding" or something like that. It's a great place for nature. If you are daring enough to drive here, by all means rent a car, but Israeli drivers are rather, well, agressive.

If you are interested in Sefad because of the Artists' Colony, it is all but gone. The place has become an enclave of religious Jews, with a lot of born again (Jews) types. It has always historically been associated with Kabbalh, but for the past decade or two it has been associated with a much so-called-Kabbalah which would have the ancient sages rolling in their graves.

Edited by Marian Paroo

COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Galil. Galilee in English. Not a hippie throwback by any means (and I'm originally from the USA and grew up in the 60s and don't use that word in a negative sense). Where did you hear that? Although there are a number of born again Breslav Hassdim in Zefat(who are nothing like the real ones) who do use drugs. Ectasy is popular because they like to stay up all night singing. I had a downstairs neighor that was invovled with them.

If you are interested in Sefad because of the Artists' Colony, it is all but gone. The place has become an enclave of religious Jews, with a lot of born again (Jews) types. It has always historically been associated with Kabbalh, but for the past decade or two it has been associated with a much so-called-Kabbah which would have the ancient sages rolling in their graves.[/color]

I'm much more confused about the Haifa port. I don't want to spend time in Haifa. I want my kids to see Safad, and the Gallilee. Should we rent a car for that or get a guide? I also like the idea of Glil (?) where you can horseback ride. I have heard it's really lovely and a hippie throwback. They would love it, me too!

There is, indeed, a small settlement called Klil in the Galiliee that is somewhat of a hippie throwback. It is a delightful place, where, for at least part of the day, most residents do not use electricity. Many of them have erected guest tents or teepees on their property, which are popular with both Israelis and foreigners who are looking for a relaxing, retreat type vacation. I don't know specifically of horseback riding opportunities in Klil, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that there were; you'll certainly find something, if not in Klil, then surely somewhere in the nearby area.

Edited by happy trailer