Cruise Critic member in Israel, happy to answer questions

happy trailer

Ruth-I'm going to be in Israel from October19-November 13, 2011 as a volunteer for Sar-El on the army bases. A couple of us would love to have a 2 day jeep tour in the Negev desert, but I'm not sure which tour operators are reputable. AND we are on the army base from Sunday morning-Thursday afternoon, so we need to find one that operates on the weekends. I am soooo excited to be coming to Israel for the 1st time.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself and let you know I'd be happy to answer questions you have about Israel and visiting Israel. (I'm not a travel agent nor am I associated with any agent, I'm just a smiling resident happy to help out.)

I moved to Israel from New Jersey almost 10 years ago, and live in a Jerusalem suburb. [i'm about to take my first cruise- to the Mexican Riviera :-).]

I'll try to check this board a couple of times a week, and while I'm sure I don't have the answers to all your questions, I'll be happy to answer those I can.

Israel is a beautiful country, and I'm sure you're going to love every moment of it!

[That's a pic of my town in my signature- we live in the Jerusalem hills.]

Ruth-I'm going to be in Israel from October19-November 13, 2011 as a volunteer for Sar-El on the army bases. A couple of us would love to have a 2 day jeep tour in the Negev desert, but I'm not sure which tour operators are reputable. AND we are on the army base from Sunday morning-Thursday afternoon, so we need to find one that operates on the weekends. I am soooo excited to be coming to Israel for the 1st time.

How wonderful! I have several friends and relatives who have volunteered for Sar-El, and they all loved it! My uncle and aunt returned for several years, they loved it so much.

As a 'local expert', Cruise Critic will not permit me to post specific recommendations for guides (or restaurants, hotels, etc), but I can tell you that I found a terrific Negev guide by asking on the TripAdvisor Israel forum. I did a 2 day Negev tour with him with my cousin last winter, and as soon as my husband has some time off from work, we'll be booking him for ourselves. He operates on weekends, speaks English fluently, and will tailor your tour to exactly your needs and wishes- and he provides a yummy lunch, if you request it. Good luck- and enjoy!

Ruth

And lastly, do you have a recommendation for a good restaurant for dinner within walking distance of the Inbal?

There are several popular restaurants across the street from the Inbal, and the German Colony (which is sort of Jerusalem's West Village) is a 10 minute walk away- you'll find several dozen restaurants there, from pizza and burgers to international cuisines ranging from Japanese to Latin American. In all restaurants, whether across from the hotel, or in the German Colony, menus are available in English, and the waitstaff will speak English. (I believe the hotel itself has a highly regarded restaurant as well.)

HTH!

Thanks for describing restaurant situation for us.

We will be taking a taxi from Inbal hotel to Ashdod port. Do taxis take credit cards? If we pay in cash, are dollars ok?

Mike and Terry

There are several popular restaurants across the street from the Inbal, and the German Colony (which is sort of Jerusalem's West Village) is a 10 minute walk away- you'll find several dozen restaurants there, from pizza and burgers to international cuisines ranging from Japanese to Latin American. In all restaurants, whether across from the hotel, or in the German Colony, menus are available in English, and the waitstaff will speak English. (I believe the hotel itself has a highly regarded restaurant as well.)

HTH!

We will be taking a taxi from Inbal hotel to Ashdod port. Do taxis take credit cards? If we pay in cash, are dollars ok?

Mike and Terry

Taxis do not take CC. I wish they did!

Dollars, given the weakness of the $ are not as popular as they used to be, but you can still use them. Make sure that 1) The cab driver shows you the offical price for the trip from the Ministry of Transportation table and 2) you are up to date on the exchange rate.

I think the current rate is 3.57 shekels per $.

As others have mentioned, not all cabs can go into the Ashdod port (security reasons). Check before you hire.

Mike and Terry

Here's an informative discussion of taxis to/from Ashdod:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1363845

(If the link doesn't work, do a forum search for 'ashdod + taxi')

If your hotel is making the arrangement for the taxi for you, be sure to tell them that you are returning to a ship docked at the port. I'd also ask them the charge in both shekels and dollars.

Taxis do not take CC. I wish they did!

Dollars, given the weakness of the $ are not as popular as they used to be, but you can still use them. Make sure that 1) The cab driver shows you the offical price for the trip from the Ministry of Transportation table and 2) you are up to date on the exchange rate.

I think the current rate is 3.57 shekels per $.

As others have mentioned, not all cabs can go into the Ashdod port (security reasons). Check before you hire.

Hi, we have checked to see if the ship has a shuttle to the port gate. They say they do. So our plan is to try with the concierge for a taxi that can take us to the ship's berth. If they can't then we will transfer to the shuttle at port gate.

Your thread has really been a big help to my wife and me.

Mike and Terry

If your hotel is making the arrangement for the taxi for you, be sure to tell them that you are returning to a ship docked at the port. I'd also ask them the charge in both shekels and dollars.

Thanks for link. I now feel quite confident my wife and I will stand a good chance of making it back to the port from our hotel in Jerusalem. And if we don't, we will just have to stay in Jerusalem one more night and take a tour to Haifa the next day!

We would like to take a taxi from the port of Haifa to Ein Hod and the Druze Village. Do we need to ask the taxi to wait or will taxis be available for the trip back to the port?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Ptater, I think we are on the same cruise. I was in Ein Hod in July, and I believe that you can let the cab go and that Lea or Dan in the Art&Wear gallery will be happy to help you get a cab back to the ship.

Marian, we decided to visit your city in November, Tel Avi, and have hired a private guide (the cruise line did not offer an option, only to the Jaffa markets).

We are taking a tour from Haifa port. Is there anything we should not miss? I am interested in the Bauhaus architecture and we will also be going to the Jaffa market where I understand there is a working artist colony.

Our guide will take US dollars but do we need to bring shekels?

Thanks.

Edited by Jade13

Marian, we decided to visit your city in November, Tel Avi, and have hired a private guide (the cruise line did not offer an option, only to the Jaffa markets).

We are taking a tour from Haifa port. Is there anything we should not miss? I am interested in the Bauhaus architecture and we will also be going to the Jaffa market where I understand there is a working artist colony.

Our guide will take US dollars but do we need to bring shekels?

Thanks.

Do you mean that you have arranged for a private guide with a car to take you to Tel Aviv and back?

If that is the story, ask him/her to take a detour to visit the Ein Hod artists' village. Definitely worth it, esp. as the bravely survived the horrible forest fires a while back. And IMHO the art in Jaffa is pretty kitchy and commerical. Not really an artists' colony at all.

Yes, be sure you get to the flea market in Jaffa, and the Bauhaus areas of Tel Aviv. It is 23:00 here, and I want to call it a night, but tomorrow I will post the links forr the Bauhaus center (they also should have a FB page) and the Tel-Aviv municipality site, which should give you some ideas of what you can see here.

Hi Ruth! Nice to see you back! :)

Hi Ruth -

Your thread has been very helpful! I'm planning a trip to Israel next February/March, and would like to know if there is any period between mid-February to mid-March that I should avoid!

By the way, I used to live in Elmwood Park (formerly known as East Paterson)! Around the time you moved to Israel, I moved to Florida.

Hi Ruth -

Your thread has been very helpful! I'm planning a trip to Israel next February/March, and would like to know if there is any period between mid-February to mid-March that I should avoid!

By the way, I used to live in Elmwood Park (formerly known as East Paterson)! Around the time you moved to Israel, I moved to Florida.

I was born and raised in Paterson! How about that, neighbor :)

Looking at the Jewish calendar for next February and March, brings only 2 holidays:

- Wed, February 8 is Tu b' Shvat, which is the Jewish Arbor Day. It's a minor holiday, everything will be open, and the only thing you'd notice would be in malls and supermarkets where there will be displays and kiosks selling gift packages of dried fruits and nuts.

- March 7, 8, and 9th: March 7 is the Fast of Esther, March 8 is Purim, and March 9 is Shushan Purim. You'll see fun displays of costumes in stores and malls, special small candies for sale, and all size gift baskets of sweets and wine. Think of Purim as as sort of Halloween, but without the scary stuff. Starting a few days before, you might see store clerks in some sort of costumes, and as the holiday gets closer, you'll see more and more people donning at least a funny hat or wig (mine was hot pink this Purim!). The holiday starts with the Fast of Esther, and that evening, at the end of the fast, the Megillah is read in synagogues, and there will be both private and street parties. Jerusalem celebrates Purim on March 9 (Shushan Purim), but the rest of the country celebrates on March 8, with some parades, and lots of fun. It's a great time to be in Israel!

Oh- the bakeries join in the festivities, too, and come up with all sorts of taste combinations for hamentashen. YUM!

Here's a good description of Purim in Israel:

http://www.holidays.net/purim/israel.htm

and a fun music video about the holiday:

So- not only are there no dates to avoid when planning a trip to Israel in February or March, but there are dates that you should plan especially to be here!

HTH!

Ruth

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ruth,

I have been reading your posts and they have been so helpful.

I am on Princess cruise which was supposed to stop in Haifa on Nov 9th and Ashdod on Nov 10th. However, with less than a month to go, the cruise line has suddenly cancelled Ashdod without any explanantion and changed it to an overnight in Haifa instead.

It is my first time to Israel and the whole point of this cruise was to visit Jerusalem.

My question is this: do you know of any reason why our Ashdod stop could be cancelled ie any specific dangers? and if so, would it be foolhardy to visit Jerusalem and Bethlehem?

Thank you in advance,

E

Hi Ruth,

I have been reading your posts and they have been so helpful.

I am on Princess cruise which was supposed to stop in Haifa on Nov 9th and Ashdod on Nov 10th. However, with less than a month to go, the cruise line has suddenly cancelled Ashdod without any explanantion and changed it to an overnight in Haifa instead.

It is my first time to Israel and the whole point of this cruise was to visit Jerusalem.

My question is this: do you know of any reason why our Ashdod stop could be cancelled ie any specific dangers? and if so, would it be foolhardy to visit Jerusalem and Bethlehem?

Thank you in advance,

E

My guess is that the reason for the change is purely technical. Who can know what will happen on any given day here?

Is your cruise line offering a tour of Jerusalem/Bethlehem for you leaving from Haifa? Jerusalem is no problem to just get on a bus/train/taxi and go, but as Bethlehem is under the Palestinian Authority, I assume you need some kind of organized thing.

• 1 month later...

Hi Ruth,

My family will be cruising in December/January and stopping in Haifa for nearly 2 days. We usually try to make our own touring arrangements rather than use ships' excursions, both to save on expenses and to have more control of the agenda. We arrive midday on Dec. 31, which is a Saturday, and we have arranged a private tour to Nazareth/Galillee that day, primarily because we were unable to find any car rental offices open that day.

We also want to visit Jerusalem, which is only possible on the second day, since the ship stays in port until 8pm. While we could use the same touring agency for a private tour, we are considering arranging a car, driving to Jerusalem ourselves, parking near the old city, and walking around ourselves.

I'm wondering if this plan to see Jerusalem ourselves is feasible (will we be able to park or is parking impossible? are roads easy to navigate and drive? will the city be overrun with other tourists?)

Also, would we have time to go to Bethlehem as well?

What kind of weather should we expect this time of year?

Will sites be closed because of New Year's eve and/or New Year's day?

Any insights are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

K

Hi Ruth,

My family will be cruising in December/January and stopping in Haifa for nearly 2 days. We usually try to make our own touring arrangements rather than use ships' excursions, both to save on expenses and to have more control of the agenda. We arrive midday on Dec. 31, which is a Saturday, and we have arranged a private tour to Nazareth/Galillee that day, primarily because we were unable to find any car rental offices open that day.

We also want to visit Jerusalem, which is only possible on the second day, since the ship stays in port until 8pm. While we could use the same touring agency for a private tour, we are considering arranging a car, driving to Jerusalem ourselves, parking near the old city, and walking around ourselves.

I'm wondering if this plan to see Jerusalem ourselves is feasible (will we be able to park or is parking impossible? are roads easy to navigate and drive? will the city be overrun with other tourists?)

Also, would we have time to go to Bethlehem as well?

What kind of weather should we expect this time of year?

Will sites be closed because of New Year's eve and/or New Year's day?

Any insights are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

K

Your plan does not sound good. The car rental agencies don't open until 0800, and you'd likely need to take a taxi from the port to reach the agency. You probably couldn't leave the agency until 0830 or 0900. The drive to Jerusalem will take about 2.5 hours without traffic. The car rental agencies close at 1700 or 1800, at the latest, which means you would have to leave Jerusalem by 1500, if you can rent from an agency that is open until 1800. There's no way you can visit Jerusalem, let alone Bethlehem, in such a short period of time. Parking will be very difficult. There's a pay lot near the Jaffa gate. Your best bet for your extremely short visit is to take another private tour.

We were in Jerusalem New Year's Day 2010. All sights that would normally have been open were also open on that day. All sights were also open New Year's Eve. We did not find the city overrun by tourists. The weather for us was in the 50's F during the day and in the 40's F at night. We had clouds but little rain.

We were in Haifa from Oct. 30-Nov. 2. The Constellation was supposed to dock in Ashdod for the first 2 days, but diverted to Haifa due to rocket fire. Our Masada and Jerusalem tours had to begin in Haifa instead of Ashdod.

I understand your desire to tour on your own. However, it is at least 2.5 hours from Haifa to Jerusalem. We left the port at 07:30 and did not return to the ship until at least 19:00. Although we were on a very good private tour, we still could not see everything that we wanted. The traffic and parking in Jerusalem are crazy and the visit to Bethlehem took about 2 hours. We are very glad that we went to Bethlehem as it was a highlight of the trip. I don't believe that we could have done that on our own.

There is a train that travels from Haifa to Jerusalem. A quick review looks like it takes almost 3 hours each way. Unfortunately, we had only one day to see one of the most important cities in the world. For us a private guide was the best choice. By the way, we loved Galilee and Nazareth!