Cruise Critic member in Israel, happy to answer questions

happy trailer

i've been in the Dome of the Rock and i'm not muslim.

OK, but I think it would be highly misleading for 99.9% of non-Muslim casual cruise tourists to think they could just go up to the Temple Mount and visit inside the Dome of the Rock.

OK, but I think it would be highly misleading for 99.9% of non-Muslim casual cruise tourists to think they could just go up to the Temple Mount and visit inside the Dome of the Rock.

yes, you're right.

the mulsim wakf, which is in charge of the entire temple mount area, no longer permits any non-muslims inside the the dome of the rock (or for that matter the al aqsa mosque).

you can get special permission to enter the dome of the rock, but to do so requires supreme efforts, and a positive response is not guaranteed.

however, you can go up onto the temple mount. But not inside the mosques.

if you have a muslim within your group - that person can go into the mosque to pray, however he will have to pay (a 'donation') to do so. (at least that's what's happened when we've brought visiting moslems to pray there).

Edited by alaska_planner

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ruth & Bill

We are on the June 5 Holyland Princess cruise and are so are looking forward to seeing Israel. My question is, are there tour guides that will be at the docks looking for tourists who have not booked yet? We would love a private tour but they are so expensive. Was just wondering if we waited until we docked would there be a chance to get a tour a little less expensive?? Any information anyone has on this would be appreciated. Thank you in advance

Hi Ruth & Bill

We are on the June 5 Holyland Princess cruise and are so are looking forward to seeing Israel. My question is, are there tour guides that will be at the docks looking for tourists who have not booked yet? We would love a private tour but they are so expensive. Was just wondering if we waited until we docked would there be a chance to get a tour a little less expensive?? Any information anyone has on this would be appreciated. Thank you in advance

No; you will not find any licensed tour guides waiting at the port looking for work. I urge you to find tour companions on your roll call and hire a private guide in advance. We hired private guides for 4 port days in Haifa and found it extremely cost-effective for 4 people. Alternatively, if you cannot find tour companions, look into tour companies like Guided Tours Israel, who will match you with others in a shared tour. For a cheaper option, consider going on your own with public transportation. Fortunately you're not docking on Friday or Saturday, so you will be able to use public transportation. Have a wonderful trip.

You need shekels, but wait 'til you get here to change your money. There are licensed money changers (better hours and cheaper than banks) all over the place, and some are even open on Saturdays. And you can use almost any credit card to take out shekels from the ATM.

Taking money out of the ATM involves stiff charges, but I am almost certain that it is still cheaper than buying shekels overseas.

Dollars are no way as popular as they used to be for payment in stores, cabs, etc., but if you do go that route, be sure to check out the rate on your iPod or Pad or Phone before believing what the storekeeper or cabbie tells you it is.

Euros are really not popular, but of course they can be changed at money changers.

Marian,

I can tell you from bitter experience that UK cards with "chip and pin" technology won't work in many Israeli ATMs, and furthermore cards from some banks will work and not from others. It's really been a case of having to go from bank to bank to find one that would take our cards.

Paul S

Marian,

I can tell you from bitter experience that UK cards with "chip and pin" technology won't work in many Israeli ATMs, and furthermore cards from some banks will work and not from others. It's really been a case of having to go from bank to bank to find one that would take our cards.

Paul S

I'm glad you added that tip. I'm a local, so I don't have a problem, and on the stickers placed on the machines they make it look like it isn't a problem.

So stick to the licensed changers, and for goodness sake, don't use the guys on street corners that whisper, "Pssssssssssssst!" to tourists.

Hi

We are going to Ashdod in June on a cruise :D and am wondering how far is Ashdod from Jersulem, sorry if this question has been asked before its just that I am at working and trying to this a bit sneaky like.

Also where is the Memorial to the Jewish victims of WWII, I would really love to see it, do you think I will have time and how long would it take from Ashdod.

Thanks oh and can you please also tell me what is "hello", "thanks" and "please" in Hebrew, as I do like to use these words in the language of the Country that I am visiting.

Thanks again sorry if its a bit disjointed as I said before trying to post this at work :)

Hi

I was wondering whether you would be able to help me. We are going to call in at Ashdod on our cruise in June and wondered how long it would take us to get from Ashdod to Jersulem or the Holocaust Memorial, that is if the Holocuast Memorial is in Jersulem.

Also can you tell me how to say "please and thank you" in Hebrew. Sorry this is bit disjointed but at work and trying to do this on the quiet. :)

Oh bother its done a double post sorry.

Edited by Isis2

Hi

We are going to Ashdod in June on a cruise :D and am wondering how far is Ashdod from Jersulem, sorry if this question has been asked before its just that I am at working and trying to this a bit sneaky like.

Also where is the Memorial to the Jewish victims of WWII, I would really love to see it, do you think I will have time and how long would it take from Ashdod.

Thanks oh and can you please also tell me what is "hello", "thanks" and "please" in Hebrew, as I do like to use these words in the language of the Country that I am visiting.

Thanks again sorry if its a bit disjointed as I said before trying to post this at work :)

There is more than one museum honoring the victims (not just Jewish) of the Holocaust, but I think you must mean Yad Vashem, the major one in Jerusalem. You could probably get a tour from Ashdod that includes it.

Hello (and goodbye) = Shalom

Thanks = Todah. May thanks = Todah Rabah

Please = Bavakasha.

There is more than one museum honoring the victims (not just Jewish) of the Holocaust, but I think you must mean Yad Vashem, the major one in Jerusalem. You could probably get a tour from Ashdod that includes it.

Hello (and goodbye) = Shalom

Thanks = Todah. May thanks = Todah Rabah

Please = Bavakasha.

Thanks very much for the info and yes that is the one I mean thanks again for your help. :)

No; you will not find any licensed tour guides waiting at the port looking for work. I urge you to find tour companions on your roll call and hire a private guide in advance. We hired private guides for 4 port days in Haifa and found it extremely cost-effective for 4 people. Alternatively, if you cannot find tour companions, look into tour companies like Guided Tours Israel, who will match you with others in a shared tour. For a cheaper option, consider going on your own with public transportation. Fortunately you're not docking on Friday or Saturday, so you will be able to use public transportation. Have a wonderful trip.

I booked a tour guide for in Ashdod but am still looking for someone in Haifa. I would be very interested in hearing about what you saw during your time in Haifa.

I booked a tour guide for in Ashdod but am still looking for someone in Haifa. I would be very interested in hearing about what you saw during your time in Haifa.

Haifa has great musems and many panoramic views. It is fairly close to Daliat haCarmel, a large Druze town - if you are booking a private tour, you can ask to be taken there.

As it is a mixed city and proud of it, there is some transportation on Saturday, but being from out of town, I am not up to date on it.

If you guys don't mind me "barging in", here is some input of another native Israeli..

However nice Haifa is (and it is indeed.. like other cities which combine mountains - the Carmel - with a nice bay ), it should be used as a basis for excursions to the North of Israel. Especially if it's your first visit to Israel.

The most obvious choice will be the places around the lake of Galilee - because their significance for Christians, but also because they are interesting and the scenery is lovely. Then there is Akko (or Acre.. or St Jean d'Acre), which to me is one of the most interesting and impressive places here - with the excavated whole crusaders' city.. With a good guide this place will come to life for you!

Then there is Tzfat (Safed ) - the center of kabala, with beautiful old synagogues and a very special atmosphere.

If you are more into recent history - there are the Golan heights with the old Syrian bunkers.. and a very good winery where you can taste local wines!

But if you decide to stay in Haifa after all - then there are the Bahai Gardens ( which for Haifa what the Eiffel is for Paris ). Also there are some interesting Carmelite monasteries in and around the city - like Stella Maris , or Muhraka monastery (the Horn of Carmel), which is connected with the story of the prophet Elijah.

And there is of course more.. So many places.. and just one day......:)

Miriam

I'll be happy to tell you, but we did some "off-the-beaten-path" sorts of things because (1) we were traveling with our teenagers who have different interests than adults and (2) we had been on a land vacation to Israel in the not too distant past and had seen some of the more typical spots.

Day 1: (a) Rosh HaNikra and (b) Acco.

Day 2: (a) Tsfat, (b) a nature reserve in the Galilee, where we went stream walking, and © a tributary of the Jordan River, where we went kayaking

Day 3: Jerusalem

Day 4: (a) Caesarea, where we toured the ruins and went snorkeling in the Med and (b) Zichron Yaakov, where we visited the 1st Aliyah Museum and participated in a paper making workshop.

Have a great trip.

• 4 weeks later...

I did the Mexican Riviera and loved it did the Jungle Canopy in Porta Vallarta. This cruise for my big 60 birthday present will be the Red Sea on the MSC Armonia from Sharm el sheikh we are going to have a stop in Elat, Jordan, Safaga. I heard that as a US citizen I will need a Visa but do not know if i have to get one for Israel too? Am not sure if I should change my currency here before my trip. I heard that it is not worth it to get travelers checks as they are not widely accepted. I am traveling alone. I have booked a Hotel in Sharm el sheikh seems very nice trying to reach them to see about transportation to the cruise port as the do have shuttles from the airport. Thank you for any help you can give me. I am from Wood-Ridge New Jersey Bergen County near Giants Stadium and we are big Giants fan. thanks again

Janet

did the Mexican Riviera and loved it did the Jungle Canopy in Porta Vallarta. This cruise for my big 60 birthday present will be the Red Sea on the MSC Armonia from Sharm el sheikh we are going to have a stop in Elat, Jordan, Safaga. I heard that as a US citizen I will need a Visa but do not know if i have to get one for Israel too? Am not sure if I should change my currency here before my trip. I heard that it is not worth it to get travelers checks as they are not widely accepted. I am traveling alone. I have booked a Hotel in Sharm el sheikh seems very nice trying to reach them to see about transportation to the cruise port as the do have shuttles from the airport. Thank you for any help you can give me. I am from Wood-Ridge New Jersey Bergen County near Giants Stadium and we are big Giants fan. thanks again

Janet

• 2 weeks later...

I see from our calendar that Yom Kippur is on 09/26. How long is the Yom Kippur observance? We will be visiting Israel for our overnight on 09/27-28. I didn't know if our visit would be impacted by the holy day. We have booked our tour with GTI, for an overnight in Jersusalem.