Cruise Critic member in Israel, happy to answer questions

happy trailer

There is a train that travels from Haifa to Jerusalem. A quick review looks like it takes almost 3 hours each way. Unfortunately, we had only one day to see one of the most important cities in the world. For us a private guide was the best choice. By the way, we loved Galilee and Nazareth!

The train to J"m, from anywhere, is more for sightseeing in itself, than for transportation. It still travels the old Turkish tracks, for a number of reasons, a new route has yet to be laid.

Of course if you need to get to Beit Shemesh, it does stop there.

And when the highway is closed due to snow, it comes in handy.

It is a beautiful route. Had you all the time in the world, I would warmly recommend it.

Hello lovelies, and thanks for your offer to help everyone.

We were supposed to be two nights Ashdod, one day Haifa, but Oceania has just changed that to three days two nights Haifa due to rocket fire near Ashdod, perhaps IMHO a little overly cautious being that this isn't until April 2012.

So, we are now very seriously thinking of taking the train to Jerusalem. I have seen some photos of the train ticket machines and tickets and they all appear to be in Hebrew (which is entirely reasonable, but a problem for us). I would just like to clarify with you, how difficult do you think it would be for us English speaking Australians to buy a ticket and travel on the train, are there any English options available for ticket purchase, or can you purchase from a human rather than a machine?

Thank you.

Hello lovelies, and thanks for your offer to help everyone.

We were supposed to be two nights Ashdod, one day Haifa, but Oceania has just changed that to three days two nights Haifa due to rocket fire near Ashdod, perhaps IMHO a little overly cautious being that this isn't until April 2012.

So, we are now very seriously thinking of taking the train to Jerusalem. I have seen some photos of the train ticket machines and tickets and they all appear to be in Hebrew (which is entirely reasonable, but a problem for us). I would just like to clarify with you, how difficult do you think it would be for us English speaking Australians to buy a ticket and travel on the train, are there any English options available for ticket purchase, or can you purchase from a human rather than a machine?

Thank you.

It will not be a problem. There is a button on the machine to change the language to English.

I'll send you a link to the Israel Railways site in English, but I gotta run now - it is Sunday, the first day of the work week (Sunday-Thursday) here.

I've given the link many times on this site, by the way. You could try searching my posts or scrolling back for it.

Thank you so much, I already found the Israel Railways site and visited it, it's really useful. But that is where I saw the pictures of the tickets and the ticket machine in Hebrew, however you have totally put my mind at rest about the "english language" button. Too easy, thanks a lot. Don't work too hard :)

Thank you so much, I already found the Israel Railways site and visited it, it's really useful. But that is where I saw the pictures of the tickets and the ticket machine in Hebrew, however you have totally put my mind at rest about the "english language" button. Too easy, thanks a lot. Don't work too hard :)

in any case, just about everyone in israel speaks english (or thinks they do), so there will be people around to help you in english.

however, if it were me, i'd go on an organized tour (one of the ship's excursions)..

when cruising, i always prefer using the ship's tours so that i know the ship will wait for us if there is a problem getting back in time...

or if not with a ship excursion, at least with an organized tour, be it private or group...

you come into israel for such a short time, it's best to be accompanied by an experienced guide who knows his/her way around the country...

Edited by alaska_planner

in any case, just about everyone in israel speaks english (or thinks they do), so there will be people around to help you in english.

however, if it were me, i'd go on an organized tour (one of the ship's excursions)..

when cruising, i always prefer using the ship's tours so that i know the ship will wait for us if there is a problem getting back in time...

or if not with a ship excursion, at least with an organized tour, be it private or group...

you come into israel for such a short time, it's best to be accompanied by an experienced guide who knows his/her way around the country...

Thank you, it's good to know we can expect to get around OK with English. Each to their own, I would not ever take an organised tour or a ship's tour, being herded and organised gives me the heebie jeebies and I like to research thoroughly beforehand and then discover things for myself. If I miss the ship there's always an airport to the next port, Gods willing I never need it, but it's not the end of the world.

Thank you, it's good to know we can expect to get around OK with English. Each to their own, I would not ever take an organised tour or a ship's tour, being herded and organised gives me the heebie jeebies and I like to research thoroughly beforehand and then discover things for myself. If I miss the ship there's always an airport to the next port, Gods willing I never need it, but it's not the end of the world.

if not an organized tour then a private guide..

there are many excellent private tour guides in Israel..

they know their way around and can get you to things more quickly than attempting to do it with public transportation..

for example, we just had a visit of a few business colleagues...

they were in israel for only 23 hours - exactly 23 hours, including 6 hours of business meetings....

we hired a guide to take them to jerusalem and tel aviv during the time they weren't meeting and sleeping...

they arrived in israel at 10 minutes to midnight on saturday night..

we picked them up at the airport and drove them to a hotel in tel aviv....

the next day we had our business meetings until noon, and then the guide arrived to take them to jerusalem (in his mercedes mini-van)...

in jerusalem, after eating lunch at a lovely cafe overlooking the old city, the guide took them around the old city (one of us went along as well so i heard how fantastic the day was from him)...they managed to hit the jewish and christian highlights in the old city (they're Christian, so special emphasis was on seeing the Christian holy sites)...

the guide then took them to the mount of olives and the Church of Mary Magdalene...followed by other stops in jerusalem..

they drove back to tel aviv for a special dinner in their honor followed by a quick tour of jaffa and tel aviv, then back to the airport for their 11 PM flight...

last year we had a one day visit of colleagues from china - again for only 24 hours.....since it was a longer day when they visited, the guide was able to take them to both jerusalem and the dead sea, all in one day..

that is something you could never manage to do using public transportation..

plus guides have access to things that regular people don't..

so i understand not wanting to be on a big tour, but i definitely recommend taking a private guide to take you around in the very short time you'll have in the country! :)

• 1 month later...

We'll probably use Guided Tours Israel in October for an overnight in Israel. They have recommended either Harmony House or Dan Boutique Hotel as the 'good value' option. Which of these do you recommend? We realize that we'll probably be tired and fall asleep soon after dinner.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm on the NCL Jade for the 01/12/2013 cruise that stops in Haifa and Ashdod. One of the excursions listed goes to Mount Carmel & Acre. Another is to Sepphoris & Kibbutz Deganya. Are either one of these worth a visit?

Sepphoris? What in the world is Sepphoris, I asked myself. Had to Google it.

Zippori! Great mosaics. One is a picture of a beautiful woman, called here the Mona Lisa of the Galilee. K. Deganya is the first kibbutz, goes back to 1909.

If you are going to Mt. Carmel that means the Bahai Shrine. Stunning gardens. And Acre of course means you will see a mostly Arab city and the port and some Crusader stuff.

Youze pays your money and takes youze choice. Both are good ways to spend the day.

I'm on the NCL Jade for the 01/12/2013 cruise that stops in Haifa and Ashdod. One of the excursions listed goes to Mount Carmel & Acre. Another is to Sepphoris & Kibbutz Deganya. Are either one of these worth a visit?

i would skip Acre - boring. Of course, that's my opinion. But i'd rather shoot myself in the foot than visit Acre.

on the other hand, Sepphoris (what i call zippori) is in the middle of the galilee, so that alone is interesting. Plus the place itself is interesting. It has beautiful mosaics there.

here's a website to read up on it:

http://www.parks.org.il/BuildaGate5/general2/data_card.php?Cat=~25~~685252593

and kibbutz deganya is the very first kibbutz.

It has a wonderful location, right on the sea of galilee.

How perfect is that?

in other words, yes, sepphoris and kibbutz deganya should be a lovely excursion and that's the one i would pick.

The area you'll drive through is both beautiful and interesting.

Edited by alaska_planner

• 3 weeks later...

alaska planner - I have a couple questions for you, and will probably have more between now and next year. So that you understand some of our challenges, one of my traveling companions and I require the use of a mobility scooter. The mobility scooters will have to be transported with us for any tours. I have made contact with Israel4all, Jtours and Travel Israel, all of which have indicated they could transport us.

At present, my major concerns are about Haifa. Here we plan on seeing things on our own, no tour. Do you have any knowledge of the public transportation? I do have a list of the accessible bus routes and a map of the routes. However, I cannot determine if two wheelchairs are allowed on the bus at the same time. We do not like to get separated when traveling. Would you happen to know if we both can ride on the bus at the same time?

I have not been able to determine if the cable car is accessible or not. It looks very similar to one we rode on elsewhere. I realize we can take a bus up Mt. Carmel, but a cable car would be so much more fun. Do you know if it is wheelchair accessible?

Apparently the Carmelit funicular railway will start construction on wheelchair accessibility this fall, but I do not know if it will be finished by February 2013 so we are not planning on using it.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Betty

th_bigbiker.gif

alaska planner - I have a couple questions for you, and will probably have more between now and next year. So that you understand some of our challenges, one of my traveling companions and I require the use of a mobility scooter. The mobility scooters will have to be transported with us for any tours. I have made contact with Israel4all, Jtours and Travel Israel, all of which have indicated they could transport us.

At present, my major concerns are about Haifa. Here we plan on seeing things on our own, no tour. Do you have any knowledge of the public transportation? I do have a list of the accessible bus routes and a map of the routes. However, I cannot determine if two wheelchairs are allowed on the bus at the same time. We do not like to get separated when traveling. Would you happen to know if we both can ride on the bus at the same time?

I have not been able to determine if the cable car is accessible or not. It looks very similar to one we rode on elsewhere. I realize we can take a bus up Mt. Carmel, but a cable car would be so much more fun. Do you know if it is wheelchair accessible?

Apparently the Carmelit funicular railway will start construction on wheelchair accessibility this fall, but I do not know if it will be finished by February 2013 so we are not planning on using it.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Betty

th_bigbiker.gif

sorry i don't know the answers to any of your questions.

I don't ever ride buses, so i haven't a clue how accessible they are or not.

my kids don't ride buses either, so i don't think they would know either.

I'll ask my daughter in law if she's seen anyone with a scooter, but i have to say i've never noticed the buses being very accessible when i've driven by them. But that doesn't say much does it.

the thing is, israel heavily subsidizes private car ownership for the handicapped, so that reduces the number of people needing public transportation - so i don't know how user friendly public transportation actually is.

i'll ask around.

i guess you couldn't take a regular taxi because the two scooters wouldn't fit.

but maybe you could take a larger size taxi? there are larger taxis - that hold 6 or 7 people and also taxis that are vans - you could fit into that.

so maybe if i could find you the number of a taxi service that has a van - maybe that would work for you.

i just remembered i met a guy at a wedding last week, who works for the company here in israel that manufactures mobility scooter chairs...

i wonder if he would know anything. i have to find out what his name is and give him a call.

See if this is any help:

http://www.aisrael.org/?CategoryID=1304

I think they are also on Facebook.

i just skimmed through this website and public buses aren't even listed.

As i noted, since israel heavily subsidizes the ownership of private cars for the handicapped, that's really where the focus is. Not so much on public transportation.

your best bet is going to be using a taxi.

I don't believe you'll be able to get around on public buses.

Thank you both. I did go to Access Israel website and found some very valuable information following the links. It indicates that the cable car is accessible plus provided a list of accessible sights in Haifa.

To my knowledge, taxis are rather expensive everywhere. We are budget travelers and really have to watch where we spend our money. So we attempt to use buses or metro systems whenever we can. According to the bus website, there are a number of routes that are accessible so I wrote to them tonight inquiring about being able to transport two wheelchairs at the same time. Will wait for their response.

The main problem for us in Haifa would be getting up on Mt. Carmel. If it were just the two of us, we could take the cable car and scoot everyplace else. However, we may have a walker with us and that could be a bit of a challenge for her. If nothing else, she could take the train or bus and meet us at the cable car. Then up on top, again, she could take the bus to Baha'i Gardens and meet us there. Getting down hill would be easy for all.

alaska planner – I'm sorry, I missed your original post earlier. Thank you.

Betty

certain buses, many in Tel Aviv are wheel chair accessible. Trains, well, it would depend which station and which particular train (meaning the same line would have both accessible and not accessible trains, but you'd have to check the schedule for which is which.

Bus line sites (some of them there are many different lines):

http://www.dan.co.il (Tel Aviv)

http://www.egged.co.il (Intercity line that is also intercity in some places)

Will look up the other bus line sites and the the site for the train.

True, most, but not all disabled people have cars, and although transportation, as well as a lot of other things (movie theatres, malls, public buildings, swimmng pools) have shamefully ignored the disabled, over the years (I have been here since '74) things have gotten much, much better.

certain buses, many in Tel Aviv are wheel chair accessible. Trains, well, it would depend which station and which particular train (meaning the same line would have both accessible and not accessible trains, but you'd have to check the schedule for which is which.

Bus line sites (some of them there are many different lines):

http://www.dan.co.il (Tel Aviv)

http://www.egged.co.il (Intercity line that is also intercity in some places)

Will look up the other bus line sites and the the site for the train.

True, most, but not all disabled people have cars, and although transportation, as well as a lot of other things (movie theatres, malls, public buildings, swimmng pools) have shamefully ignored the disabled, over the years (I have been here since '74) things have gotten much, much better.

are dan and egged in haifa?

we don't even see dan and egged buses anymore where we are (i've been here since 1978)

we are mostly serviced by metropoline where we are.

for people without cars, there are voluntary (charitable) organizations that pick up some of the slack.

(that's according to the link you posted - i haven't a clue what people do other than drive around on their electric chairs in the middle of the street - suicidal if you ask me !! :eek: :eek: )

i just looked at the english language Yad Sarah website.

Yad Sarah is a charitable organization that helps the disabled (if that's not the correct politically correct term, i apologize.)

Anyway, i see that they offer services to disabled tourists, including transportation.

http://www.yadsarah.org/index.asp?id=106

this is from their website:

Service: Inter-city transport – sightseeing / other, and inner-city

Available in: Jerusalem & Tel Aviv

Terms: Fixed fees

Notice needed: 2 weeks

Comments: It is possible to make arrangements with shorter notice.

Service: Information on touring Israel

Available in: Via services for tourists

Terms: Free of charge

Notice needed: Office hours: Sun-Thurs 9am – 5pm (Jerusalem time)

Comments: Information given by fax, phone, or e-mail

For all the above services please contact Adena Fink or Elaine Pomrantz at 972-2-644-4633 or Fax: 972-2-644-4628

E-mail: tourism@yadsarah.org.il

Please use the request form to list your details and requirements.

To see a prospectus of services available to tourists with special needs, click here (in PDF format).

WOW! What a pleasant surprise. All sorts of helpful information waiting for me this morning. Thank you both; it is great. I also had a response from Rome in regards to a little problem there. My one traveling companion and I will have a lot to discuss in a few weeks on our up-coming trip.

I will definitely write to the one group for information. I have found some tour companies that can take care of us for Jerusalem. Considering the distance, it is a bit more pricey than most tours, but that is to be expected. Hopefully we can find others to share our trip. That would be on February 8, 2013.

We normally use the sidewalks for getting around in the cities. Some places do not have anyway of getting on and off the sidewalks or do not even have sidewalks. That is also true in the U.S. We have ridden in the streets, pedestrian paths and bicycle paths. We will be traveling with a “curb buffer” that we can use to get over “bumps in the road” (on and off sidewalks). Anytime we ride in the street, we use extreme caution.

I have been using the English version for the local buses (http://www.egged.co.il/Eng/); that is where I found the listing of accessible buses. Also, I found an excellent map of the bus routes (http://israelbusinfo.iblogger.org/RouteMap_Haifa.pdf) We cannot use the train for transportation in Haifa because Bat Galim Haifa station is not accessible. However our walking friend could.

Again, thank you both.

Betty

Hi Betty,

As promised :):

A friend wrote this article for the Jerusalem Post. Hope it gives you some helpful information!:

http://www.jpost.com/Travel/AroundIsrael/Article.aspx?id=177393

(If you can't access the article, go to the Jerusalem Post (http://www.jpost.com) website and do a search for "Tourism unbound")

Ruth – That was quick; thank you. There is a lot of truth in that article. Planning does take extensive work. For our little round the world trip, I started almost two years in advance. That was a combination of planes, ships, buses, trains, shuttles, taxis and even piggy back. We hired someone to carry Ruth (my companion) up on the Great Wall.

One thing that was not included in the article was the “language” barriers. Even though many speak and write English, they may not be familiar with applicable expressions. In Lisbon I booked a “handicap” room in a hostel; only to find that there was two flight of stairs getting to the elevator. Since then I ask if we can roll all the way from the street to our room... it works. Some years back, an individual thought I was making reference to motorcycles. Since then if I am in doubt, I send a picture and the dimensions.

Sure wish that you would have selected the Maasdam for your spring cruise. I know you declined because of the colder climate.

alaska planner - I have found that any link for accessible tourist is valuable. They seem to work together and will send us the correct direction. Thanks again.

When I get back from my up-coming cruise, I will probably have dozens of questions as I start refining our plans. Appreciate anything all three of you can share.

Betty

th_whitecat_e0.gif?t=1284855291