Cruise Critic member in Israel, happy to answer questions

happy trailer

I see from our calendar that Yom Kippur is on 09/26. How long is the Yom Kippur observance? We will be visiting Israel for our overnight on 09/27-28. I didn't know if our visit would be impacted by the holy day. We have booked our tour with GTI, for an overnight in Jersusalem.

The actual observance of Yom Kippur starts a bit before sundown the night before (so this year, on Tuesday evening, Sept 25), and end around an hour after sundown the next day (Wed, this year), so your visit won't be impacted all all by Yom Kippur.

You will be visiting Israel at a wonderful time- right after the fast ends, people start building their sukkot, in preparation for the festive holiday of Sukkot (the Feast of the Tabernacle), which begins 4 days later. Watch for all sorts of huts and makeshift enclosures in yards and on balconies; depending on where you are, some restaurants and cafes may also have constructed them on sidewalks, too.

HTH, and enjoy!

did the Mexican Riviera and loved it did the Jungle Canopy in Porta Vallarta. This cruise for my big 60 birthday present will be the Red Sea on the MSC Armonia from Sharm el sheikh we are going to have a stop in Elat, Jordan, Safaga. I heard that as a US citizen I will need a Visa but do not know if i have to get one for Israel too? Am not sure if I should change my currency here before my trip. I heard that it is not worth it to get travelers checks as they are not widely accepted. I am traveling alone. I have booked a Hotel in Sharm el sheikh seems very nice trying to reach them to see about transportation to the cruise port as the do have shuttles from the airport. Thank you for any help you can give me. I am from Wood-Ridge New Jersey Bergen County near Giants Stadium and we are big Giants fan. thanks again

Janet

Hi Janet,

No, you don't need a Visa for Israel.. And you don't need to change any currency before you come here.

There are a lot of Change places - just do it in an official one . Also post offices buy/sell the major foreign currencies with good exchange rates.

You can also use ATMs.. or just pay with your credit card..

Have a great trip!

Miriam

I see from our calendar that Yom Kippur is on 09/26. How long is the Yom Kippur observance? We will be visiting Israel for our overnight on 09/27-28. I didn't know if our visit would be impacted by the holy day. We have booked our tour with GTI, for an overnight in Jersusalem.

You will be okay. Yom Kippur starts mid afternoon on the eve, and continues until late evening, early night the day of.

It will be getting dark quite early, because unfortunately the end of Daylight Savings Time is tied to Yom Kippur. It's a real bummer.

Hi Janet,

No, you don't need a Visa for Israel.. And you don't need to change any currency before you come here.

There are a lot of Change places - just do it in an official one . Also post offices buy/sell the major foreign currencies with good exchange rates.

You can also use ATMs.. or just pay with your credit card..

Have a great trip!

Miriam

My favorite place for changing shekels into foreign currency is the post office. I find even the legal places a bit smarmy and the banks are pirates and thieves. And of course you can use the ATMs, too.

I posted something on Tripadvisor and was given some advice on Haifa - but would be interested in what Israeli cruisers think - cruisers know what a port visit is like.

From what they suggested (I like to keep things easy and DIY if possible - allowing us explore and have events unfold before us rather than be led through some canned tour) - thought we'd take a train to Akko in the morning and stay there having a lunch also, then go back to Haifa - go up to the gardens and work our way down into the city, seeing the sites and getting a feel of an Israeli city. We're not religious - so are more interested in just a feel of a city and it's culture. Does this seem like a decent plan given our desires?

• 3 weeks later...

We wil be in Israel for Sukkot (Feast of Tabernacles) Oct 2 and 3. One day in Jerusalem and Bethlehem and the other day in Northern Israel - Caperneum, Galilee, etc. How will that affect our sightseeing plans, eating plans, etc? Are businesses closed on those days?

We wil be in Israel for Sukkot (Feast of Tabernacles) Oct 2 and 3. One day in Jerusalem and Bethlehem and the other day in Northern Israel - Caperneum, Galilee, etc. How will that affect our sightseeing plans, eating plans, etc? Are businesses closed on those days?

You'll be here on the "hol hamoed" of Sukkot, which are the "weekdays of the festival". Which means that not only everything will be open, but also that everything will be more crowded, as many would be on vacation.

Maybe it won't affect that much the Christian sites - like Capernaum, but everywhere else surely will be more crowded - especially Jerusalem (oh, the traffic!) ..

On the other hand - I think you'll greatly benefit from the festive atmosphere and the "special events" in the cities. It should be fun!

Miriam

I posted something on Tripadvisor and was given some advice on Haifa - but would be interested in what Israeli cruisers think - cruisers know what a port visit is like.

From what they suggested (I like to keep things easy and DIY if possible - allowing us explore and have events unfold before us rather than be led through some canned tour) - thought we'd take a train to Akko in the morning and stay there having a lunch also, then go back to Haifa - go up to the gardens and work our way down into the city, seeing the sites and getting a feel of an Israeli city. We're not religious - so are more interested in just a feel of a city and it's culture. Does this seem like a decent plan given our desires?

Ohh.. I see nobody answered your post.. And I do hate so much when nobody answers mine!

Akko is one of my favorite places here, so I recommend it warmly. But you should go prepared - go with a guide, either live or printed..:)

What you describe doing, is, I think, very feasible (I'm not from Haifa and have never done it myself ). I don't know when is your visit scheduled for, but I hope it's not in the summer, when long walks are really not recommended?

Anyway, if or when you're tired of walking you can always catch a taxi to the beach promenade and feel the city from there.....

Have fun!

Miriam

You'll be here on the "hol hamoed" of Sukkot, which are the "weekdays of the festival". Which means that not only everything will be open, but also that everything will be more crowded, as many would be on vacation.

Maybe it won't affect that much the Christian sites - like Capernaum, but everywhere else surely will be more crowded - especially Jerusalem (oh, the traffic!) ..

On the other hand - I think you'll greatly benefit from the festive atmosphere and the "special events" in the cities. It should be fun!

Miriam

thanks!

Ohh.. I see nobody answered your post.. And I do hate so much when nobody answers mine!

Akko is one of my favorite places here, so I recommend it warmly. But you should go prepared - go with a guide, either live or printed..:)

What you describe doing, is, I think, very feasible (I'm not from Haifa and have never done it myself ). I don't know when is your visit scheduled for, but I hope it's not in the summer, when long walks are really not recommended?

Anyway, if or when you're tired of walking you can always catch a taxi to the beach promenade and feel the city from there.....

Have fun!

Miriam

Been reading our guide books for Israel - and realized I need to do a week in Jerusalem in one day...:)

So now plan is to take a quick look at the gardens in Haifa - then go back down, maybe visiting one neighborhood in Haifa and take a train to Akko. Then take train to Tel Aviv and a bus to Jerusalem and spend the night. Then rejoin ship in Ashdod next day. This plan would add a late afternoon and evening in Jerusalem and allow us to get an early start the next day. Will probably take a taxi back to Ashdod just to be safe because we'll it will be a Friday (November). Actually as far as walking in Akko - we're ex-marathon runners, so we've been known to walk miles and miles when we're touring cities.

Was thinking doing a late lunch in Tel Aviv if there was anyplace interesting near where we'd get off the train and transfer to the bus (basically just to get a feel for it). Otherwise, we'd just lunch in Akko.

Edited by buggins0402

Thanks for this wonderful thread!

We'll also be in Israel for Sukkot (Feast of Tabernacles) - is there anything in particular people would recommend we do or see specific to Sukkkot?

Please, ask us again closer to the actual time. :)

Judging by recent years there will be a lot of activities going on in all the cities.,, the malls, parks etc..

Then you'll have to decide if you want to go anywhere near them - or run away as far as you can. ;)

(remember that Sukkot is a school holiday and many of the events will be targeted at small children. But not only at them..)

Miriam

Please, ask us again closer to the actual time. :)

Judging by recent years there will be a lot of activities going on in all the cities.,, the malls, parks etc..

Then you'll have to decide if you want to go anywhere near them - or run away as far as you can. ;)

(remember that Sukkot is a school holiday and many of the events will be targeted at small children. But not only at them..)

Miriam

Good take, Miriam, good take!!! ;)

Thanks for this wonderful thread!

We'll also be in Israel for Sukkot (Feast of Tabernacles) - is there anything in particular people would recommend we do or see specific to Sukkkot?

If you are going to be in Jerusalem, there are two very special events during Sukkot - but be aware they also bring huge crowds, along with street closures and traffic jams.

One is the Blessing of the Priests held at the Western Wall; the other is the Jerusalem Parade which runs thru downtown. Both wonderful (but extremely crowded!) events.

Wherever you are in the country, be sure to look up- you'll spot all sorts and sizes of succahs ('booths' or temporary dwellings) built on balconies. Many restaurants will also erect a succah for their patrons to dine in.

As Miriam pointed out, it's a very festive time in the country, and a great time to visit. The weather should be great, too :)

Edited by happy trailer

Hi, I was wondering how 'feasible' a trip to Petra would be during my recent cruise.

We were on the Mariner last year and stopped in both ports, Haifa & Ashdod. We took ship tours of Jerusalem and Meddigo and loved them. However I was wondering about the following:

Getting a tour guide who would meet us as Haifa, fly to Eliat and go to Petra, spend the night at Petra. The following day visit Massada/Dead Sea and return the following day to the ship in Ashdod.

Sometimes these things 'look' doable but going thru border crossings, traffic and time of year may make this really unreaslistic.

We'll be arriving on the Jade in Haifa on December 27 and the ship leaves Ashdod on December 28 at 6 pm

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS I would NOT attempt this without an Israeli guide so if you know of anyone/company that you would recommend.... Thanks :)

Hi, I was wondering how 'feasible' a trip to Petra would be during my recent cruise.

We'll be arriving on the Jade in Haifa on December 27 and the ship leaves Ashdod on December 28 at 6 pm

PS I would NOT attempt this without an Israeli guide so if you know of anyone/company that you would recommend.... Thanks :)

OK, I'll bite first..

My first reaction was - NO WAY.. Not in 2 days!

My second one.. Let's see.. Maybe It IS just possible.. IF one gets off the ship very early.. IF there is a very early flight to Eilat.. IF there are private tours of one day to Petra.. IF a cost is not an issue.. IF the guide (and YOU) won't mind the VERY long drive from Eilat to Ashdod via the Dead Sea on that second day.. And IF there are no problems on the road, as in December that area can have some floodings - which, while beautiful to watch , can slow you down. and you, after all, have a ship to catch!

So many IFs.. :)

So I did check few things (just google "day tours from Eilat to Petra", or something like that)..

I seems that there are day trips from Eilat - therefore I would assume that for the right price a private tour could be arranged (the regular ones collect the people from their Eilat hotels in the mornings).

But the idea sort of "dies" with the first stop - which is Haifa. The air company that flies to Eilat is Arkia.. and it seems - that at least in December - it flies from Haifa to Eilat in the afternoons . No early flights!

So I would stick this time to Israel proper.. There are still many things to see here, believe me .. :)

Petra would be better if you have 3 days here.. Or from Eilat or Akaba (there are cruises that go there)..

I hope it helps..

Miriam

We were on the Mariner last year and stopped in both ports, Haifa & Ashdod. We took ship tours of Jerusalem and Meddigo and loved them. However I was wondering about the following:

Getting a tour guide who would meet us as Haifa, fly to Eliat and go to Petra, spend the night at Petra. The following day visit Massada/Dead Sea and return the following day to the ship in Ashdod.

Sometimes these things 'look' doable but going thru border crossings, traffic and time of year may make this really unreaslistic.

Unfortunately your plan is not really doable. Here's why:

- Travel time from Petra to border crossing in Aqaba/Eilat: 90 min- 2 hours

- Border crossing: 30-45 minutes

- Travel to Eilat airport: 15 minutes

- Travel time from Eilat - Masada: 3 hours

- Touring : minimum of 2 hours - time in Masada: minimum 1 hour; then drive around Dead Sea area, etc...

- Travel time to Ashdod: 2 hours

All the times given above are minimum estimates. This also assumes that there will be a convenient flight to Eilat (in any permutation/from any airport) available on Dec 27. Even if you left Petra at 5AM, you will not have enough time to comfortably make it back to your ship on time...and if you run into any sort of winter storm and flooding (which usually happens in the Dead Sea area at least once in the winter), you will miss your ship.

(I'm not going to address all the logistics of getting to Petra, or whether you really need a guide for most of your trip. Hopefully Cruisermom will reply to your post- I know she's toured Petra while on a trip to Israel; that was on a land trip, but maybe she'll have some suggestions/insight.)

Dear Miriam and Ruth,

Thanks for taking the time to confirm what I 'thought' - locals usually know if something is really possible versus what a salesperson will tell you.

Thanks again! Last time we did the cruise tours for Jersulam and Medigo and I tell everyone to make sure you get off the ship and enjoy what Israel has to offer.

• 1 month later...

Now that I have read the 600 and something posts I am ready to ask the questions that I have not seen, or possibly not understood the answers to.

My husband and I will be in Ashdod port on October 2nd at 10am till 10pm october 3rd. I was hoping to take the bus or possibly the train into Jerusalem the first day, wander around checking out the old city, the shuk, and whatever else we come across just walking/bussing around. then head back to the ship in the evening for dinner and to sleep. Day 2 my plan was to catch the bus back to jerusalem to get the bus to Ein Geti. enjoy the oasis and the dead sea then take the bus back to Jerusalem for a few hours before bussing back to the ship.

My questions are, is this doable? I am used to us cruise ports where you get off the ship and walk wherever you want, so I am a little confused with how to get from the ship to the bus depot in Ashdod. Is it hard to get a taxi to get you to the bus depot and back from it?

For Ein Geti, I am curious where the bus actually drops you off and if you can get to the waterfalls, do the float in the dead sea and slather yourself in the mud, as well as get showered off afterwords from that location, or is there somewhere else that I would need to go. Also how long is it likely to take to do all those things? As for the bus or train, is it more reliable to take the train so you know when you will get from A to B without the question of traffic backups? where does the train drop you off in Jerusalem? Was having a hard time trying to go between google maps and the bus and train websites.

As it is only 3 1/2 weeks away, was wondering if more info is available now about what events are happening for the feast of tabernacles that week.

Thank you very much for any information recommendations that you can provide.

Tina

Edited by Tina&James
missed a question

My questions are, is this doable? I am used to us cruise ports where you get off the ship and walk wherever you want, so I am a little confused with how to get from the ship to the bus depot in Ashdod. Is it hard to get a taxi to get you to the bus depot and back from it?

For Ein Geti, I am curious where the bus actually drops you off and if you can get to the waterfalls, do the float in the dead sea and slather yourself in the mud, as well as get showered off afterwords from that location, or is there somewhere else that I would need to go. Also how long is it likely to take to do all those things? As for the bus or train, is it more reliable to take the train so you know when you will get from A to B without the question of traffic backups? where does the train drop you off in Jerusalem? Was having a hard time trying to go between google maps and the bus and train websites.

Tina

Tina: Most ships offer a shuttle, usually at a cost, from port to central Ashdod.

For Ein Gedi, I think if you read this it will answer most of your questions:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293983-i2582-k5119594-Getting_to_Ein_Gedi_from_Jerusalem_by_bus-Jerusalem.html

Don't take the train from Ashdod to Jerusalem. It takes longer than the bus.

I really don't know that you have enough time to do all that you're planning, if you're going via public transportation. You'd be better off just taking the ship's free shuttle from the dock to the port entrance and then taking a taxi directly to Jerusalem. Also, consider spending the night in Jerusalem so that you can get an early start to Ein Gedi the following morning.

It has been recommended that I have some local currency for small purchases. I had planned on traveling with US Dollars and Euros. Is there an ATM in or near the port? I don't want to exchange a lot of money, just enough to get by. I really don't want a lot left over to change back. We'll be overnighting in Jerusalem.

Tina, what you describe may be "doable" but - to me - not highly recommended.

First - there is no train from Ashdod to Jerusalem. There is one from Ashdod to Tel Aviv, and then from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, but the second segment is very slow - the trains are rare and they take ages,.. (there is a new line being built but I am sure it isn't of any consolation to you).

So what remains is the bus option (or a taxi service).

A ride on a bus from Ashdod to Jerusalem will take 1.5 to 2 hours.. And that's only from the central station here to the central station there. Then there would be the question of transport from the port to the station and also in Jerusalem itself. All these bus rides - there and back - will consume a LOT of your time - especially as this will be during the Sukkot holidays when everything will be crowded. And don't forget that that time of the year is still quite warm (not to say hot).

Still, it can be done.. and you still will have those few hours to walk around Jerusalem.

Not sure though about being "back for dinner" ...

The second day you suggested seems even "worse" ;).

There is a bus from Jerusalem to Ein Gedi at 9 am - so you'll need to get off the ship very early to get to Jerusalem on time (of course by now you'll know how to do it). You'll need to get back on a bus to Jerusalem at 4 pm.. (that's as of today ). I have no idea what will the timetable be in October.

The bus will leave you in Ein Gedi in the guests parking lot. The walking distance between the Nature Reserve of Nahal David (where the waterfalls are) and the Spa of Ein Gedi is considerable - and then don't forget the heat! In Summer the Dead Sea feels like Hell - and October is still very hot.

So I would suggest - like epixx - either stay overnight in Jerusalem and find a trip from the hotel there to the Dead Sea.. or just forget about the Dead Sea this time.. If you insist on public transport - then on the second day maybe do something different? Go to Tel Aviv and walk around it.. Old Yaffo (Jaffa) the Carmel market, stroll on the Beach promenade, Some things like that. At least you'll manage to see something.. soak the atmosphere of this city which is so different from Jerusalem - without the need to worry all the time that you won't make it on time to the ship..

I hope it helps..

miriam

Thank you both for the information. Guess that we will have to give up on Ein Gedi and just explore jerusalem and maybe Tel Aviv a bit.

Is there a good place to get money exchanged near the central ashdod bus/train station?

Thanks again

Tina