Cruise Critic member in Israel, happy to answer questions

happy trailer

Hi,

We will be in Ashdod for two days this October, and would like to do Tel Aviv on our own one day. Given the current situation in Israel do you thinking doing this on our own is safe? (married couple in our 40-50's)

We were looking at taking the train from Ashdod to Tel Aviv (and hopefully the cruise shuttle from the port to Ashdod if there is one). Is this the best way to get to Tel Aviv? We would like to walk around and do some shopping.

Safe to stay early evening, or best to head back before dark?

Thank you for your help!!

Hi,

We will be in Ashdod for two days this October, and would like to do Tel Aviv on our own one day. Given the current situation in Israel do you thinking doing this on our own is safe? (married couple in our 40-50's)

We were looking at taking the train from Ashdod to Tel Aviv (and hopefully the cruise shuttle from the port to Ashdod if there is one). Is this the best way to get to Tel Aviv? We would like to walk around and do some shopping.

Tel Aviv, like Jerusalem, is very safe day or night. I walk around worry free in both cities, until fairly late at night - as in just about any city in Israel, street crime is not really a concern. Just take easy precautions as you would anywhere, and you can wander, shop, dine, and enjoy :-).

[Oh- if you're talking about how the 'situation' (that's actually how we refer to it) impacts on your safety in walking around in the evening- it doesn't, really. If mortars and such are flying, then your ship likely won't port in Ashdod (and, except in a full blown war, Tel Aviv will be safe from attack); if you are worried about terror attacks- the separation fence has all but eliminated terror bombings.]

Edited by happy trailer

Hi, am in Ashdod thurs 4th October, chol chamoed succot. Wanted to get taxi from port early about half 8 then spend day on own in old city then get taxi back in eve about 8pm. I understand lots of taxis by port, but what about coming back in evening? Willit be easy to get a taxi? Possibly thinking of doi g the light show spectacular and then getting taxi from there?

Thanks

Hi,

As Ruth already answered, it is very safe here - more so than in many big cities in the West (or anywhere else for that matter). And you'll be amazed how little police you'll see on the streets of Tel Aviv! (you'll still see a lot of soldiers , but that's another matter.. We are "all soldiers here" - by which I mean that most of our youth serve in the army between ages of 18-21 - and as we are a small country, we serve 'at home" - so you'll see lots of them coming and going :))

Having saying that there are areas in Tel Aviv where I wouldn't like to go at night, but you won't get there any way. Using the train to go to Tel Aviv seems like the smart move. If you get off the train the Shalom Station - it's almost inside a big mall ( in the Azrieli towers) . Outside it there are buses and taxis.. On the top of it there is a restaurant (2C) and an observatory of TA - good for orientation.

(if you eat business lunch there you don't pay for the observatory)

Or you can get off the train on the next station - and take a bus from there in the direction of the sea. There you can walk along it on a lovely (and very long) promenade.. South to Yaffo.. or North to the "Tel Aviv port. (an area of caffes restaurants etc). The Carmel shuk is nearby there and so it the TA 'village"..

Enjoy!

Miriam

Hi, am in Ashdod thurs 4th October, chol chamoed succot. Wanted to get taxi from port early about half 8 then spend day on own in old city then get taxi back in eve about 8pm. I understand lots of taxis by port, but what about coming back in evening? Willit be easy to get a taxi? Possibly thinking of doi g the light show spectacular and then getting taxi from there?

Thanks

I know very little about Ashdod , but quite a lot about taxis.. And I don't imagine you'll have a problem to find one to take you from Jerusalem to Ashdod - there are a lot of taxis around and they need to make a living. Just pay attention.. most of the taxi drivers are honest and hard working people, but there would be some who would maybe love to take advantage of a tourist who needs a long ride. So notice how much you paid for the way " up".. and talk about the price to Ashdod before you start your journey "down". If you find someone to share then it's even better. Also - if you came to Jerusalem by taxi - maybe you can even talk with the same taxi driver about returning with him - or with somebody else from his "station".

Just a thought..

We are booked on Nov 9 to go Holy Land with Norwegian Jade I hope it pushes through because if not I will be very dissappointed I really wanted to go to Isreal and Egypt but with the current situation I do not know if it's even possible.

Don't see why not, esp. cancellation of the Israel leg anyway. It's a pretty good time for a trip.

Summer should be over, winter not yet here. No holidays to mess with your schedule. What are your days for Israel, and will you be in Tel Aviv?

Hi all!

I will be in ashdod in October and am curious to hear any suggestions as far as going into tel-aviv for the nightlife. I will be there over night (14th-15th), so my plans are to take a toured guide into jerusalem on the 14th then come back to the ship to rest for a while and into tel-aviv that night. From what i've seen online it has a pretty big nightlife that starts very late and goes well into the morning. My questions are, is this true? Would it be a waste of time to rest in the ship from about 7pm -11pm or midnight then head out to tel-aviv? is this possible and/or safe? If its possible how would we do this? Taxi, train? There are three of us and we are late 20's - early 30's, so we look forward to visitng a few bars and dance clubs and heading back to the ship around 4am or so then sleeping in. I dont know how realistic this plan is! Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Am also posting this as its own thread but figured I might get advice from a local so i posted here as well :)

Nov 14 and 15 Jereusalem and Bethlem and 16th 17th Alexendria Egypt.

No chance to get to Tel Aviv?:(

Hi all!

I will be in ashdod in October and am curious to hear any suggestions as far as going into tel-aviv for the nightlife. I will be there over night (14th-15th), so my plans are to take a toured guide into jerusalem on the 14th then come back to the ship to rest for a while and into tel-aviv that night. From what i've seen online it has a pretty big nightlife that starts very late and goes well into the morning. My questions are, is this true? Would it be a waste of time to rest in the ship from about 7pm -11pm or midnight then head out to tel-aviv? is this possible and/or safe? If its possible how would we do this? Taxi, train? There are three of us and we are late 20's - early 30's, so we look forward to visitng a few bars and dance clubs and heading back to the ship around 4am or so then sleeping in. I dont know how realistic this plan is! Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Am also posting this as its own thread but figured I might get advice from a local so i posted here as well :)

I am on my way to work - will get back to you later. I think your main issue would be returning to the ship - Ashdod is a closed port. But you could arrange with a taxi company at the port to pick you up from Tel Aviv to solve that. Will get back to you later. In the meantime, could you tell me a little more about yourself, and what kind of clubs you like? There are plenty here to choose from.

I am going to be in Israel 17th- 19th and am wondering what sort of temperatures should I prepare for? We will be in Nazareth on Day one, overnight in Jerusalem and then Tel Aviv on Day 3 and I am assuming there will be little difference between the three places. We are used to chilly conditions so anything over 14 will be warm for us!

I am going to be in Israel 17th- 19th and am wondering what sort of temperatures should I prepare for? We will be in Nazareth on Day one, overnight in Jerusalem and then Tel Aviv on Day 3 and I am assuming there will be little difference between the three places. We are used to chilly conditions so anything over 14 will be warm for us!

Hi !

If you consider anything above 14 "warm" - then for sure it will feel warm for you. October days will probably feel very warm (still in the upper 20s).. The nights in the Galilee or Jerusalem can be chilly - at least for us (so a light sweater or jacket may be needed) - but I don't think it gets as low as 14 C . Not in October :)

have fun!!

miriam

I am on my way to work - will get back to you later. I think your main issue would be returning to the ship - Ashdod is a closed port. But you could arrange with a taxi company at the port to pick you up from Tel Aviv to solve that. Will get back to you later. In the meantime, could you tell me a little more about yourself, and what kind of clubs you like? There are plenty here to choose from.

Hi Marian, thanks so much for the response! Sorry for the late reply. As far as clubs anything we can dance to is fine :) . On my last cruise we stopped in Istanbul and went to a club there I believe it was called 'reina'. It was an amazing night, the music was your basic club dance music. Although it would have been nice to hear some local music rather than the same stuff you hear all over the radio in the US, it was still lots of fun. So i'm guessing whatever the local people enjoy (even if its American dance music) would be fun. thanks for any input :)

Edited by juanarcin

Hello Ruth; We are in Port Ashod Nov 8 and 9th. We are looking to plant trees on the afternoon of the 8th. Can you suggest a tour company that might include this. This is a main goal for while we are in Israel as we have many family members that we want to plant in memory of. Or if you are familiar with the area we may even take a taxi to the sight. Thank you..Herb

Thanks Miriam - so when you say chilly at night, I take it you are talking about 17/18c ish?

We are so looking forward to this trip and to exploring your country

Ann, the conventional wisdom here, as to the difference between "the hills" (Jerusalem) and "the shore" (Tel Aviv) in September.October, is in the differences between the temperatures at daytime as opposed to the evenings. While during the day they may be quite similar (25-30) - evenings in Jerusalem may get to 14-15 (hence the need for a light jacket) - while in Tel Aviv it would be around 20.. Also Jerusalem will be dry, while Tel Aviv will be more humid.

Of course we're talking about "avarages". It has happened before that we had rain in October - but usually it will be very short (and to us - very sweet! :)).