Cruise Critic member in Israel, happy to answer questions

happy trailer

We will be on the Rotterdam in Oct. with 2 days in Haifa and one in Ashdod. We are planning to take the ship's tours, but it appears they overlap each other, so it almost seems like we will repeat tours even what is offered in either city. It is hard in this small space to tell you of the tours, but the Nazareth Highlights & the Sea of Galillee sounds like the one we want, there is one called Leisurely Jerusalem, would that add anything new for us. I am hoping you have some idea of what these tours offered by Hal show us. Thank you for any advice you can give. ANYone who reads this.

Your ship is docking for 3 days in Israel what leaves you a lot of time to see more.

From Haifa you should take one of the tours offered to Nazareth and the Sea of Galilee on one of the days.

you are right that there is an overlapping in some of the tours and to tell you the truth for a 2 days docking in Haifa the options for touring the north of Israel are very poor (and that an understatement!) with no options to the Upper Galilee to Safed or the Golan Heights. I guess it is because the company prefer to push the overland tours.

So your option for the second day if you want to visit places in the north is to either take one of the half days tour offered - Acre or Caesarea - which both are good options and allow you to have a free 1/2 day to explore Haifa itself (worth it!) or to take one of the excursions to Jerusalem. the benefit of taking and excursion to Jerusalem from Haifa is that it allow you to take an excursion to the Dead Sea from Ashdod what you cannot do from Haifa.

from the excursions to Jerusalem offered from Haifa I would choose "The best of Jerusalem and the Old City".

We will be in Jerusalem / Tel Aviv (Ashdod), Israel from October 30 11:00am to October 31 10:00pm so a good day and half. We are six people and sure to recruit an additional 4 people to make the magical 10. What is the most effective and cost efficient way to see what there is to see. Would it be wise to hire a guide and transportation? If there were 10 persons in this group would the cost be $100 per person $200 over those two days with the idea of getting a strong flavour of the region. The only definite would be the Wall and probably Bethlehem. Masada and the Dead Sea seemed to be more for those who have unlimited time.

Look forward to the replies from Ruth and other

Thanks

Ross

If you are already 6 people you should hire a private guide with a car. For a 6 seats minivan the cost is 600$USD so you are talking about 200$USD for the 2 days. Cheaper than the ship's price and you get a private tour!

Adding more people will not reduce your price a lot because then you'll need a bigger vehicle. For a group of 10-16 people you can expect a cost of around 90$ per person/day.

As for what you include in such a tour it is depend on when you are coming which ports will you be at and how long is you be staying.

write here the details of your arrival and I'll will tell you whether it is possible to add the Dead Sea to your Itinerary.

If you are already 6 people you should hire a private guide with a car. For a 6 seats minivan the cost is 600$USD so you are talking about 200$USD for the 2 days. Cheaper than the ship's price and you get a private tour!

Adding more people will not reduce your price a lot because then you'll need a bigger vehicle. For a group of 10-16 people you can expect a cost of around 90$ per person/day.

As for what you include in such a tour it is depend on when you are coming which ports will you be at and how long is you be staying.

write here the details of your arrival and I'll will tell you whether it is possible to add the Dead Sea to your Itinerary.

We are arriving 11:00 a.m. Ashdod on October 30 and will be departing at October 31 at 10:00 p.m.

I have a quick question - is Bethlehem worth going to? From a Christian perspective, I really would love to go....however, the more I read about it......I am afraid I will be disappointed and upset due to the strict regulations imposed by the ruling government. What are your opinions?

I have a quick question - is Bethlehem worth going to? From a Christian perspective, I really would love to go....however, the more I read about it......I am afraid I will be disappointed and upset due to the strict regulations imposed by the ruling government. What are your opinions?

Yes, the Palestinians (who rule the area of Bethlehem) have made life very uncomfortable for Palestinian Christians- so many of whom are leaving areas under Palestinian control that the Vatican is concerned. However, I believe that most cruisers feel that a visit to Bethlehem should be considered in terms of how important its religious significance is to you, compared to how much of Jerusalem you want to see- it's possible to see visit both Jerusalem and Bethlehem in one port day, but you'll be limited to how much you can get to see of Jerusalem.

Hi Ruth & Motib and any other suggestions:

Here is our time schedule in Israel We will have a private guide for 4 of us.

We were on an Oct cruise but had to change to April/may

Apr 30 Sat HAIFA, ISRAEL 7:00AM 8:00PM

May 01 Sun JERUSALEM (ASHDOD), ISRAEL 6:00AM

May 02 Mon JERUSALEM (ASHDOD), ISRAEL 8:00PM

Our plan so fare is to have a tour from Haifa and return to the ship.

Saturday 30th April Haifa – Nazareth – Sea of Galilee

Back on ship

We are interested in sites pertaining to all 3 religions.

Sunday 1st May Jerusalem + Bethlehem (spend the nigh in Jerusalem at Harmony Hotel)

Monday 2nd May Masada + Dead Sea (then back to ship)

Not sure about Bethlehem.

Would like to know what to do after our guide leaves us at hotel in the evening on Sunday not sure what is open our closed or what we can walk to.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks Trish

Would like to know what to do after our guide leaves us at hotel in the evening on Sunday not sure what is open our closed or what we can walk to.

Thanks Trish

Hi Trish,

My husband and I are in the area of your hotel at least one evening a week, and I can assure you that you'll find plenty to do!

Sunday is a regular work day in Israel (weekends here are Friday and Saturday), so everything will be open, and by staying in the Harmony Hotel, you will be located in an area with plenty of shopping and dining choices.

Within feet of your hotel are all sorts of craft and art galleries, and several great restaurants. Wander a bit in either direction to find more restaurants, bars, and shopping. The Ben Yehuda pedestrian mall, with even more shopping and dining, is around the corner from the hotel, and there is even more shopping straight ahead on Jaffa Street- which is the heart of downtown Jerusalem (the intersection of King George and Jaffa is considered 'the center', and it, too, is about a 5 minute walk from your hotel).

Wandering further in any direction will bring you to more and more dining and shopping opportunities; there is a wonderful art gallery/center a 10 minute walk away; the new, upscale Mamilla Mall is also a 10 minute walk from your hotel- and it adjoins the Jaffa Gate entrance to the Old City.

Phew!

BTW, that Monday, May 2 is the day Israel will be observing Holocaust Memorial Day. I don't think it will have an effect on whatever you wind up doing on Sunday night, but on Monday a siren will sound at 10AM, and everyone will stop what they are doing, and stand in silence for that minute. It's a very touching moment- even drivers stop their cars, and get out and stand for a moment. Entertainment venues will be closed on Monday as well, but again, that shouldn't affect your day.

HTH,

Ruth

Hi Ruth & Motib and any other suggestions:

Here is our time schedule in Israel We will have a private guide for 4 of us.

We were on an Oct cruise but had to change to April/may

Apr 30 Sat HAIFA, ISRAEL 7:00AM 8:00PM

Our plan so fare is to have a tour from Haifa and return to the ship.

Saturday 30th April Haifa – Nazareth – Sea of Galilee

Back on ship

We are interested in sites pertaining to all 3 religions.

Sunday 1st May Jerusalem + Bethlehem (spend the nigh in Jerusalem at Harmony Hotel)

Monday 2nd May Masada + Dead Sea (then back to ship)

Not sure about Bethlehem.

Thanks Trish

Well, if you already have a guide why won't you discuss it with him??

Another thing, I think it is more logic to do the Dead Sea and Masada on the first day, this will allow you to visit Bethlehem on the first day and will leave you a full day in Jerusalem.

In June, we will be in port in Israel for 3 days:

June 20 Ashdod arrive 6AM

June 21 Ashdod depart 8PM

June 22 Haifa arrive 6AM depart 8PM

We would like to see as much as possible but thoroughly experience what we see. We are considering one or two nights off the ship in Jerusalem. What would you recommend we attempt to see and should we stay the night of June 20th in Jerusalem and return to the ship on June 21 doing the north area (Haifa) as an excursion from the ship or alternatively, should we stay 2 nights in Jerusalem and return to the ship in Haifa?

Thanks

Hi Trish,

My husband and I are in the area of your hotel at least one evening a week, and I can assure you that you'll find plenty to do!

Sunday is a regular work day in Israel (weekends here are Friday and Saturday), so everything will be open, and by staying in the Harmony Hotel, you will be located in an area with plenty of shopping and dining choices.

Within feet of your hotel are all sorts of craft and art galleries, and several great restaurants. Wander a bit in either direction to find more restaurants, bars, and shopping. The Ben Yehuda pedestrian mall, with even more shopping and dining, is around the corner from the hotel, and there is even more shopping straight ahead on Jaffa Street- which is the heart of downtown Jerusalem (the intersection of King George and Jaffa is considered 'the center', and it, too, is about a 5 minute walk from your hotel).

Wandering further in any direction will bring you to more and more dining and shopping opportunities; there is a wonderful art gallery/center a 10 minute walk away; the new, upscale Mamilla Mall is also a 10 minute walk from your hotel- and it adjoins the Jaffa Gate entrance to the Old City.

Phew!

BTW, that Monday, May 2 is the day Israel will be observing Holocaust Memorial Day. I don't think it will have an effect on whatever you wind up doing on Sunday night, but on Monday a siren will sound at 10AM, and everyone will stop what they are doing, and stand in silence for that minute. It's a very touching moment- even drivers stop their cars, and get out and stand for a moment. Entertainment venues will be closed on Monday as well, but again, that shouldn't affect your day.

HTH,

Ruth

Thanks Ruth great advice I sure appreciate it. I'm sure the May 2 observing Holocaust will be very touching. I get tears thinking about it.

Well, if you already have a guide why won't you discuss it with him??

Another thing, I think it is more logic to do the Dead Sea and Masada on the first day, this will allow you to visit Bethlehem on the first day and will leave you a full day in Jerusalem.

I will talk to my guide about it I just find so many great ideas from the message boards I like to ask many people's opining and then decide what to do. Sorry if it's not the right thing to do.

I do thank you for your advise on the idea of Dead Sea first.

Thanks

In June, we will be in port in Israel for 3 days:

June 20 Ashdod arrive 6AM

June 21 Ashdod depart 8PM

June 22 Haifa arrive 6AM depart 8PM

We would like to see as much as possible but thoroughly experience what we see. We are considering one or two nights off the ship in Jerusalem. What would you recommend we attempt to see and should we stay the night of June 20th in Jerusalem and return to the ship on June 21 doing the north area (Haifa) as an excursion from the ship or alternatively, should we stay 2 nights in Jerusalem and return to the ship in Haifa?

Thanks

I guess you are coming on either Oceania Nautica or Seven Seas Mariner, both by the way 2 of the best cruise ship to my opinion. If you'll decide to take the ship excursion I can assure you that they are going to be great, both ships gets their services from the best shorex agent in Israel (again my opinion).

Nevertheless, if you'll decide to do something independently, my suggestion to you is to have an overnight in Jerusalem for 1 night. go on the first day to Masada and the Dead Sea, that will allow you to get to Jerusalem early afternoon and in June it is summer time and you have light until 20:00. Take a full day tour in Jerusalem for the second day and leaving Jerusalem at around 18:00 will bring you back to the ship on time.

For the third day, again, taking the ship excursion from Haifa is a good option but you can arrange yourself a third private tour, it all come to the issue of cost. I think that since you have the possibility of taking a tour to the north from Haifa you should take advantage of it instead of spending another day in Jerusalem.

Edited by motib

Hi

We are taking a land tour to Israel for 14 days. The are offering an extension to Petra and Amman for $1799pp for 5 days flying home from Amman instead of Tel

Aviv. We have been to Cairo for a 2day ship tour but didn't do Luxor so we are wondering if we should miss Petra this time as we will probably never be back in that region again. It is kind of pricey and still have to add Some meals. What do you think, is it worth so much extra money. We are leaving April 27.

Thank you for your input.

Hi

We are taking a land tour to Israel for 14 days. The are offering an extension to Petra and Amman for $1799pp for 5 days flying home from Amman instead of Tel

Aviv. We have been to Cairo for a 2day ship tour but didn't do Luxor so we are wondering if we should miss Petra this time as we will probably never be back in that region again. It is kind of pricey and still have to add Some meals. What do you think, is it worth so much extra money. We are leaving April 27.

Thank you for your input.

You can arrange it yourself for much less. I am going to be in Israel and I have made arrangements for a 3-day visit to Jordan to see Petra and Jerash. The cost per person (including hotels) is only about $600 through an Israel agency.

Thanks Cynthia,

The problem is we are with a tour company with included air, so no free days to do it on our own. Either we go with their extension or go home from Tel Aviv. I know last year it was $500pp less and its the same tour, so i think it is too much and we will skip it. It went up $100pp per day for ?nothing? Can put the $3800 towards another trip.

Motib;

My ship docks at Hafia 7-10pm

next day at Ashdod 7-10pm

I will NOT do a ship excursion;

1. Do you suggest Hafia and the sights or north specifics?

2. What is the fastest way for transportation from Ashdod to Jerusalem?

3. There are so many tours offered in Jerusalem that it is hard to do and I was told if you try and fit the dead sea as well you wil be pressed.

4.Thinking of doing an eco bike tour of Jerusalem which goes on the outskirts of town and then the rest of the day Old city?

Open to ideas and suggestions.

Thanks

Bob

• 2 months later...

Wanted to remind everyone about this thread- it's a great place to browse through for background and current information and ideas.

[Needless to say, you're welcome to post questions here- someone - usually several people :)- almost always posts a reply within a day or two (except the last one, which we all seemed to have missed!)]

Ruth

I guess you are coming on either Oceania Nautica or Seven Seas Mariner, both by the way 2 of the best cruise ship to my opinion. If you'll decide to take the ship excursion I can assure you that they are going to be great, both ships gets their services from the best shorex agent in Israel (again my opinion).

Does Azamara (owned by RCCL, so same shore excursions as Celebrity too) use this same Shorex agent?

Tzfat and Tiberias in 1 day independently is too risky to my opinion with public transportation. It is possible with a car but you must take into consideration few things:

1. Opening hours of the car rental office. You'll have to take a bus to any car rental you'll chose and will be able to start your driving not before 08:30-09:00. You'll have to be back no later than 16:30 because the offices are closed at 17:00. All this is true if you are not coming on Saturday.

2. Mileage. In 1day renting you have a limit of 200km. if you drive to Tzfat Tiberias and back 180Km if you drive directly and not off the route. Any extra Km is charge by the rental companies and usually it makes the renting very expensive.

Out of those 2 options I would recommend Tzfat. It is not complicated to do it independently. Take from the port exit bus no 103 or 113 to Merkazit Hamifrats CBS and from there bus no 361 to Tzfat – 2hr and 38.5NIS. The old city of Tzfat is in walking distance from the CBS

Another option would be to find partners from your cruise and arrange a private tour with a guide for a small group – for a group of 6 it will cost you around 1100-120$ pp.

safed1_200.jpgsafed2_200.jpg

Where were these photos taken? Thanks!

Does Azamara (owned by RCCL, so same shore excursions as Celebrity too) use this same Shorex agent?

well some things where changed since then. Oceania and Regent changed their shorex agent in Israel and the new one is Caspi. I work with them too and I have only good things to tell about them.

Azamara is using another agent - Patra - and this is the bigest and very proffesional agent.

Wanted to remind everyone about this thread- it's a great place to browse through for background and current information and ideas.

[Needless to say, you're welcome to post questions here- someone - usually several people :)- almost always posts a reply within a day or two (except the last one, which we all seemed to have missed!)]

Ruth

Just need to know how much of this "war" stuff you guys are hearing in Israel.

Just got out of a security briefing as certain spots in Afghanistan and Iraq where I have to travel next are seeing some real violence that has not been seen for a couple of years.

From what I gathered, some portions of the intel community think that one more incident in Israel from Hamas or Hezbollah will bring on full fledged war or at least a major scuffle. And Egypt, with its "new" government will not uphold the peace treaty. Iran's influence was a big topic of discussion.

I ship a lot of food through Jordan and they informed me my "normal" routes through Jordan could be compromised and to start making alternative plans. They even told me I did not have to go to the Kandahar region this trip. That was a true surprise, as Kandahar has much more trouble getting food they need in a timely basis with all the ingredients for a meal at the same time. There have been times when we had two/three weeks of deserts, lots of meat and no veggies, particularly fresh for salads (poor logistics planning, not lack of supplies). There have also been times when condiments missed the plane/ship and everyone had to learn to eat minus salt, pepper, ketchup, mayonnaise and salad dressings.

Just curious if Israel is starting to "batten down the hatches". Kuwait is certainly on edge-I am glad I decided to come out and stay on the base. I was getting a very queasy feeling at the hotel in Kuwait City.

I know everyone wishes it was 2006 again and everything was nice and calm. And let's not scare the tourists. But it is a reality that the Middle East is now a cauldron-maybe not boiling yet, but definitely on a high simmer.