Is San Juan safe at night?

horsingaround

I just booked a cruise on the Freedom and noticed that the first stop is San Juan, but unlike most stops we get there at 5:00 PM and depart at 12:00 AM - meaning we will be there at night.

My husband and I have never been there and one of his co-workers says it is not very safe to be walking around at night. I have not checked into what will be offered by the cruise ship for this stop, but it seems like some of the normal sightseeing things would not be able to be offered.

Any suggestions / thoughts?

Old San Juan is plenty safe to walk around at night. Just use common sense (as you would in any city) and you'll be fine. Do a search of this forum. You'll find your question answered many times.

As far as things to do ...

- you can still do a self-guided walking tour as the city and forts are lit up at night

- there is a guided night-time walking tour available

- if you'd like to sample the various Puerto Rican rums, there is a rum-tasting and dinner "tour" available

- depending on the night you're here, there are different shows and entertainment going on around the city

- if you're more adventurous, you might consider a night-time canopy tour zipline adventure (complete with headlamps!)

- you might even have enough time to fit in a kayak tour of the Fajardo biobay. Just check the biobay moon calendar to make sure your night is a favorable one.

Old San Juan is very safe at might and delightful. We have been going to Puerto Rico for 25 years every year. If you are docked at the Pan American Pier you have to take a taxi to Old San Juan. It is on the other side of the bay from your ship. Don't try to walk it. This is where you would find some danger if any. Stay in the Old San Juan area and you won't have a problem. Take the taxi back to the ship.

We were just there last week at night....and agree with an earlier poster, just use common sense as you would anywhere, and you'll have a great time. If anything the night time added to the beauty of our experience and photographs, etc. It was great, b/c PR was the only port where we were somewhere other than the daytime.

We did a tour with Jose of segway tours, enjoyed the trolley ride around the town, and then just did walking/exploring/picture taking on our own the rest of the evening. If you'd like to see pictures drop me a line at lisa.ann.laurenzi@verizon.net

Enjoy your time in PR it is beautiful!

Lisa

We were just there last week at night....and agree with an earlier poster, just use common sense as you would anywhere, and you'll have a great time. If anything the night time added to the beauty of our experience and photographs, etc. It was great, b/c PR was the only port where we were somewhere other than the daytime.

We did a tour with Jose of segway tours, enjoyed the trolley ride around the town, and then just did walking/exploring/picture taking on our own the rest of the evening. If you'd like to see pictures drop me a line at lisa.ann.laurenzi@verizon.net

Enjoy your time in PR it is beautiful!

Lisa

Everyone says always says use common sense as you would in any city. What does that mean? I live in Boston, and I just walk around without fear because it's not dangerous. I'm not sure what you mean by use common sense. Do you mean don't go up to homeless people or what? Are there a lot of homeless people around are the streets pretty clean?

What ever you do to stay safe in Boston, do that here.

Common sense: Don't show a lot of money, stay out of dark, vacant alleys, don't go alone with unknown people (like if someone comes up to you and say- "hey I know this great out of the way place".....).

There are some homeless and beggars in OSJ. They will not hurt you. They are begging for help, not robbers.

Crime against tourist is very rare. And there will be a cruise ship full of people walking around the same little city.

Everyone says always says use common sense as you would in any city. What does that mean? I live in Boston, and I just walk around without fear because it's not dangerous. I'm not sure what you mean by use common sense. Do you mean don't go up to homeless people or what? Are there a lot of homeless people around are the streets pretty clean?

Here's a tip I picked up from Johnny Carson which has always served me well: do NOT pile all your belongings in a wheelbarrow and go around saying "Whoopie whoopie whee, I'm as rich as I can be."

Old San Juan is far away from population centers which breed junkies, homeless people and bored teenagers. The streets are pretty clean.

What ever you do to stay safe in Boston, do that here.

Common sense: Don't show a lot of money, stay out of dark, vacant alleys, don't go alone with unknown people (like if someone comes up to you and say- "hey I know this great out of the way place".....).

There are some homeless and beggars in OSJ. They will not hurt you. They are begging for help, not robbers.

Crime against tourist is very rare. And there will be a cruise ship full of people walking around the same little city.

Ok that makes sense. In Boston I don't feel unsafe walking down the street at night, and often dressed up nicely. Is it safe to wear nice clothes and jewlry like a gold watch, or should I leave the watch in the hotel? Is old San Juan well lit? I don't think I would feel unsafe wearing a gold watch in a well lit tourist area. Also, is there more security and police around when a cruise ship is in town and the day before a cruise ship is in town?

Thanks!

Sorry to put a cramp in your style, but my husbad and I have passed through San Juan several times on the way to other lovely carribean spots and find San Juan to be somewhat distasteful. First of all there's a lot of graffitti everywhere when walking around downtown old san juan. In addition, on the times we were there they seem to have no trash binds as the local businesses seem to just leave their trash bags, lots of them on the curbs. Once, just once, we found ourselves walking around at night and you'll notice the streets are not well lit. This is when the hairs on the back of my back stood up (I've learned this is a signal no to ignore) These are simply not surroundings we are used to. However, we have visited SJ in the day and have experienced some great and historically memorable excursions, but at night I just caution the readers to be careful. Just my opinion...

You will see people with signs trying to get people to take tours. I assume they'll make you wait til the van is full before they take off. We walked around at night and in trying to find our way back to the ship ended up on short dark streets with no tourists, only a local or two who couldn't speak English or help direct us back to the cruise ship. We were a bit nervous as well.

. We walked around at night and in trying to find our way back to the ship ended up on short dark streets with no tourists, only a local or two who couldn't speak English or help direct us back to the cruise ship. We were a bit nervous as well.

and

Sorry to put a cramp in your style, but my husbad and I have passed through San Juan several times on the way to other lovely carribean spots and find San Juan to be somewhat distasteful. First of all there's a lot of graffitti everywhere when walking around downtown old san juan. In addition, on the times we were there they seem to have no trash binds as the local businesses seem to just leave their trash bags, lots of them on the curbs. Once, just once, we found ourselves walking around at night and you'll notice the streets are not well lit. This is when the hairs on the back of my back stood up (I've learned this is a signal no to ignore) These are simply not surroundings we are used to. However, we have visited SJ in the day and have experienced some great and historically memorable excursions, but at night I just caution the readers to be careful. Just my opinion...

I think that it is wise of you both to have had a feeling of caution when walking around at night in an unknown place. I always do whenever I travel too. But, that "uncertain feeling with the unknown" does not mean it is unsafe... it is just you being extra aware. Did either of you have any safety problems, or did you hear of any one else on your cruise having problems with safety?

Luckily, people that use this forum can easily find on-line maps of OSJ to download. It is always nice to know where you are and how to get to where you are going.

OSJ is a 400 year old LIVING CITY. There is graffiti in every city, but to say it is everywhere is a bit of an exaggeration. I have hundreds of pictures of OSJ with no graffiti in sight. And here in PR, we put our trash out at the curb when the garbage men are coming. In OSJ, the trash truck comes around a few times a day, so a little before each pick up you will see trash at the curb. That may be different from where you are from.

OSJ is not perfect, but it is not a crime haven. Be aware, and do what is comfortable for you. If you would feel better with a tour guide, than by all means, use one.

There are lots of tours available when you get off the cruise ship.

Or you can pre-book one- Like Legends for a walking tour, horse and carriage tours or Segway tours.

when i went to Paris, France i saw a lot of graffiti everywhere, it is a worldwide trend, sadly.

I can say the historic district is pretty clean for the amount of daily visitors. the historic district of San Juan is part of the capital city: San Juan (1.5 million pop. in metro area only [total Puerto Rico pop: 4 million).

I honestly have never felt at all threatened walking around OSJ. Granted, I grew up in the city so I may have a better guard than some. Just remember to exercise common sense such as not flashing money or excessive jewelry, avoid back alleys and deserted streets and keep your eyes and ears open for anything suspicious.

We stayed overnight in OSJ last year, at Hotel Milano right in the middle of the city after a cruise. We walked around all day into the evening and night and never felt threatened, frightened, or otherwise vulnerable. Of course, we didn't go lurking around dark, desolate places, or parade around with cash sticking out of our ears, but I woulnd't do that no matter where I am - home or abroad.

I spoke with a professor of mine who is from Puerto Rico, asking her for recommendations because we will be in PR for two days this year (we really enjoyed it last year). She suggested some places to go, and mentioned that I will stand out as a tourist (I'm blonde, blue and very fair) and as such I should take care to be aware of my surroundings and use common sense when I'm out and about. I didn't ask her about safety or crime - she just added that precaution.

That said - I make sure I am aware of my surroundings in Cleveland, in my 'burb, on campus... it's what women are always taught: don't make yourself an easy victim or obvious target; don't take unnecessary risks. IMO, we are probably a lot more likely to be robbed as we sit in our cars texting or balancing our checkbooks in the parking lot of a local WalMart than we are to be robbed on vacation in OSJ for a few hours. Just be aware, and don't put yourself in a dangerous situation -- no matter where you are.

Note: We too have been fortunate enough to visit many Caribbean ports and cities, and I have to say that OSJ is among our favorites. We have seen many, many more places that had much more graffiti and were in varying (and sometimes shocking) states of disrepair - it's no secret that there is some desperate poverty in the tropics. That said, I don't remember that being the case in OSJ at all; we found it vibrant and lively, and we are very much looking forward to our return in May.

I have a good friend that was born and raised in P.R. and her first statement to me when I told her that I was going to P.R. was "Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you go out after dark unless you are with someone from P.R." She believes that tourists are targeted frequently.

Sorry to be scary, but I definitely took her advice when I was there.

I have a good friend that was born and raised in P.R. and her first statement to me when I told her that I was going to P.R. was "Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you go out after dark unless you are with someone from P.R." She believes that tourists are targeted frequently.

Sorry to be scary, but I definitely took her advice when I was there.

I guess everyone has opinion.

Does you friend still live in PR? Maybe something has changed.

Someone I know got her purse stolen in SJ last week while on a cruise.. So like everyone says.. You stick out like a tourist, so they know you have cash and credit cards on you, so just be aware of who is around you, and hold onto your purse if you are carrying one infront of you and tight.. better safe than sorry!! and yes, you should do this wherever you go, even in your own town these days!!

These things that are being said about OSJ are typical of all big cities. San Juan has the lowest crime rate of many of the other destinations in the caribbean. Have you heard about Jamaica,D. Republic, Haiti,San Salvador,Mexico,Venezuela,Guatemala etc. I live and work in the tourism

sector on the island and can tell you that we are not inmune to the social and economic woes that all big cities have, but I can assure you that my city is one safest around and I have been to many. carraizo99@yahoo.com

Archived