Taking wine/champagne on board?

JennLynn

Does Royal Caribbean allow you to carry on one bottle of wine or champagne per person?

I took my hardsided suitcase on my July Explorer 9 night sailing and had bottles of wine bubblewrapped and filled the entire suitcase.

It was delivered to my cabin without any problems.

I took my hardsided suitcase on my July Explorer 9 night sailing and had bottles of wine bubblewrapped and filled the entire suitcase.

It was delivered to my cabin without any problems.

That's nice but the OP didn't ask anything about smuggling. The answer is simple, no it is not allowed by RCCL.

No wine is allowed to be brought on board whether you are carrying it on or in your checked lugguge. We had guests who had their lugguge held for shampoo and water in their lugguge. It was ridiculous, RCCL is becoming very money hungry. They claim they do not allow the wine because of overconsumption but I saw first hand they served anyone and everyone in the bars and some were extremely drunk. They also will sell you anything you want and bring it to your room.

We went on RCCL in July and we had wine that went through but in January nothing was allowed that seemed to be a liquid.

This is a bit over the top. What is the chance to be discoverd if you bring a bottle of wine? I understand they say somthing if you bring a lot to drink everything in your cabin, but a nice balcony Chabis shold be privacy in my opinion

We have been on the SOS 4 times prior to our sailing on the Monarch in Feb and never had a problem with wine, are they really cracking down now, I do't know.....if I decide to take it and they say no at the the security scan then I guess hubby runs it back to the car. We have always actually taken 2 bottles with us with no problem. We were on Carnival in December and had no problems there either with taking 2 bottles of wine and 2 bottles of champagne. Its not going to make or break my cruise!!!!

Alcohol is not allowed to be brought on board. They will hold it for you until the end of the cruise and if they can find it they will return it.

That's not entirely accurate. You're permitted to bring alcohol on board. They don't permit alcohol to be brought onboard for the purposes of consumption in your stateroom or elsewhere. It's a minor distinction but they're not going to bother you so long as you're not attempting to conceal it. RCI realizes people purchase liquor while in port to take home with them.

On our last RCI cruise, on AOS, the x-ray machine on the ship itself wasn't working at the time we boarded. So, what does RCI security do in a pinch? Instead, they selected random bags from passengers wheeling aboard carry-on luggage and proceeded to rifle through them right there on the carpet - all in full view of other passengers behind waiting to board. Needless to say, that made for some very angry people who had yet to even start their cruise.

You stay classy, Royal Caribbean.

That's not entirely accurate. You're permitted to bring alcohol on board. They don't permit alcohol to be brought onboard for the purposes of consumption in your stateroom or elsewhere. It's a minor distinction but they're not going to bother you so long as you're not attempting to conceal it. RCI realizes people purchase liquor while in port to take home with them.

On our last RCI cruise, on AOS, the x-ray machine on the ship itself wasn't working at the time we boarded. So, what does RCI security do in a pinch? Instead, they selected random bags from passengers wheeling aboard carry-on luggage and proceeded to rifle through them right there on the carpet - all in full view of other passengers behind waiting to board. Needless to say, that made for some very angry people who had yet to even start their cruise.

You stay classy, Royal Caribbean.

"Classy" would be for pax on RCI to adhere to the no alcohol rule so that security wouldn't have to rifle through luggage looking for smuggled booze.

They were also probably checking for other items and not just booze.

I wouldn't be happy knowing that something like a weapon could have gotten onboard because the machines weren't working. Sounds like a minor inconvenience.

They were also probably checking for other items and not just booze.

I wouldn't be happy knowing that something like a weapon could have gotten onboard because the machines weren't working. Sounds like a minor inconvenience.

No. Sorry. On embarkation day, they x-ray your bags before you even reach the gangway to the ship, remember? The "secondary" screening upon boarding the ship itself was purely to look for contraband (booze), and even the purser didn't disagree with this.

Any Celebrity, Holland America, or Princess cruise I've taken in the past couple of years didn't have this ship-side screening upon embarkation.

Feel free to book on those lines then!:rolleyes:

What does that have to do with the question? I was addressing post 12 with this comment in post 13. The question was asked by a poster with less than 100 posts - they may not be aware that all cruise lines do not have the same policies and procedures. They stated that they took bottles on CCL - I just wanted to clarify that while CCL allows it in their onboard policy, RCCL doesn't allow it. No need to invite me to book CCL simply because I was clarifying their comment.

First, I have never been on a cruise, so I'll admit my ignorance to general cruise policy, but my girlfriend (who has been on 3) and I are thinking of taking a cruise in March durning her spring break. Secondly, everyone needs to relax. If you don't agree with what someone else's opinion then you are free to disagree, but do it civilly. SI Cruiser, I agree that rules should be respected. But Calling someone a cheap SOB for "smuggling" something onboard is a bit much. As it happens, if we do take this cruise it will be 2 weeks shy of our 1 year anniversary. One of our favorite wines is Kanonkop from South Africa. Now, it is hard enought to find in the states, so I imagine just as hard on a cruise. I would be more than happy to pay for a bottle onboard if they had it. But since they most likely don't, I'll smuggle a bottle on board so we can enjoy it on our "anniversary". Yes this is not a typical situtation and most people bring alcohol onboard to get drunk cheap. But RCL could allow at least one bottle free. I'd evening be willing to pay a $5/bottle to bring my own as I'm sure many others would.

Archived