Not sure where to post this - wear wedding ring??

ejpumpkin

Like the title says, I am not sure what board to post this on. I might post this on the cruise fashion and beauty (or whatever it is) as well.

Do you ladies (or for men - do your wives) wear your wedding ring? Mine are soldered together so it's not like I can just wear the band. I am really worried about something happening to it. We are by no means rich, but dated for 6 years before getting married and my now DH saved for years to get me a beautiful ring. The center stone is a carat and down both sides of the ring as well as the front and back profile sides are covered in diamonds. So on 3 sides of the ring it is all diamonds. THe band is also a band with all diamonds. So at times I do feel it is flashy. I love it none the less! Again - we aren't rich but he saved for years and bought it in full knowing I would wear it for the rest of my life and wanted something he could feel proud of giving me for years to come.

So should I wear it on the cruise or keep it at home? I am not sure if I would feel differently if it was just a plain band or a band with one stone, ya know?

I've not read this thread, but I can say that I would NOT wear flashy jewelry on a cruise. If you want people to know you're married, buy a fake ring and wear that......but again, not a flashy one. Many places you visit on a cruise are inhabited mainly be people who we would consider to be impoverished (they don't always see themselves that way, however). They often think Americans are rich and some of them have targeted Americans for robbery. I would advise you, as I advised my daughter-in-law, not to invite that by wearing something that could be seen as flashy......

When we went to St. Lucia last May for DS's wedding, DD left her heirloom ring at home....mostly because it was her grandmother's and is irreplaceable. I thought that was a really good decision!

Here's the rule.....if you have to ask, then don't take it!

Before our cruise this past August, right after my 23rd anniversary, I went to a remount show, I wanted to have a garnet mounted for an engagement ring. Instead we had my mother-in-law's (who passed away xmas day 07) diamond remounted for me. It is 1 1/2 carets and has 2, diamonds on each side. Needless to say it is very special to me. I did wear it on the cruise but took it off to go ashore. I still only wear it on special occasions. Otherwise it is kept in a safe and I wear my original diamond that my husband got me and we had remounted. I have very little nice jewelry, but now that I am out of school I am bound and determined to start collecting :D. So I say, go ahead and wear it.

I usually opt to wear my fun silver jewelery when I cruise, but this is just a personal preference. I even have a wedding set in silver. In port, you would probably find me checking out the silver. My wedding rings aren't extremely valuable, and I can't wear them at work, so I'm not quite as sentimental about them. When I cruise, I like to change my jewelery to match each outfit, and I can better afford this with the silver.

You are probably as safe wearing your wedding rings on a cruise as you would be on any vacation or at any event. Would you wear it on Black Friday if you were out shopping all the early-bird specials? Would you wear it to the Super Bowl? Would you wear it on spring break to Daytona Beach? That said, no matter where you go, you are better off to have them insured and wear what makes you happy!

Of COURSE you wear your ring! Jeez--it's not like someone is waiting to take it once you step off the ship! Unless you're wearing the Hope Diamond, wear your jewelry!

It's sort of like having nice silver and china, and never using it! What's the point in having it?

And although some of the islands you'll visit are not as "affluent" as the USA, they are not out to take from you what you have!

I aggree.... WEAR THAT RING PROUDLY.....my wife and I have nice rings and have NEVER THOUGHT about removing them when in any port of call.....30+ cruises around the world and caribbean and NEVER had a problem yet.

The answer to your question is it depends....

I have a large diamond that I wear all the time at home. Only take it off to clean it.

When traveling I don't usually take it unless I am traveling in the us or Europe.

Otherwise I have a faux diamond and a nice David Yurman cable Band I wear.

I like to go to the souks or markets a cheaper ring gets me better prices.

Always use the safe for any valuables while traveling...even if you are going to dinner. The stewards are honest but once in a while they leave the door open while cleaning and who knows who might see something in your room they like.

Congratulations and enjoy your cruise.

Maybe part of my problem is that this is our honeymoon cruise. We were married in July, but waited until March because that is my spring break (teacher here!) and wanted to go when it was freezing cold here. So I feel like if we tell people we are on our honeymoon they will look for or ask to see my ring (for some reason - that is everyone's first action after I told them I was engaged or recently married!!!).

Ok, going to tell you a honeymoon story that will most likely have you leaving your ring at home....

My nephew was married last March, he and his new wife were getting ready to leave for the airport the next day. His wedding band (which was beautiful and very expensive) was a little loose.

So he wanted to leave it at his Mom's till they got back. His new bride was all upset, how could they go on their honeymoon as newlyweds and he not wear his ring.

He was reluctant to wear the ring as it was a little big, but she was really upset...so he did.

They went to one of the islands, one day they did the snuba thing, where you have the big helmet on your head and walk around under water. And dang if his ring didn't fall off, well he and the guide tried to find it but with no luck the ring was lost......

Of course now the dear bride was all upset because he lost the ring. Poor guy couldn't win and he dare not say "I Told You So".......

Maybe do as another poster suggested, wear it on ship, but when going in port place it in the safe in your cabin. Perhaps pick up an inexpensive gold band at Walmart to wear in it's place.

Have a lovely time and Congratulations!!! :D

Well, I guess we are in the minority. Having worked around electricity, I never wore a ring for safety reasons. My wife's ring was stolen a couple of years ago when our house was broken into. Celebrating 35 years of marriage, neither of us wear "wedding" rings.

If you are afraid of losing your ring, leave it at home. It has specific value to you alone.

Well, I guess we are in the minority. Having worked around electricity, I never wore a ring for safety reasons. My wife's ring was stolen a couple of years ago when our house was broken into. Celebrating 35 years of marriage, neither of us wear wedding rings.

If you are afraid of losing your ring, leave it at home. It has specific value to you alone.

Yea, cause you know if your that worried about it that you started a thread on the subject......Murphy's Law will kick in and something will happen!!! And then you'll really be mad at yourself!

Well, I guess we are in the minority. Having worked around electricity, I never wore a ring for safety reasons.

I was that way too for the longest time, but since I've become a foreman and don't get to "use the tools" all that much anymore, I've started wearing my ring. It makes DW quite happy at least.

If your ring fits well, then absolutely wear it on the cruise! Those formal night pix where you put your hand on your DH's lapel will look gorgeous! My only problem is that my hands swell as soon as I hit the salty air and my wedding set (4 rings soldered together) won't come off. So I bought a faux set a half size larger and much more "sparkly" so my formal night pix come out extra pretty. LOL!

I wore mine around the ship on our last cruise (our honeymoon) but after hearing from my best friend how her DH lost his ring while snorkeling on their honeymoon cruise :(, I left mine behind in the safe when we went ashore for excursions (so, for sake of not losing it during activities, not over a concern for safety so very much).

Snorkeling is heck on wedding rings! My hubby lost his wedding band on our honeymoon when we went snorkeling. It wasn't very expensive but a sentimental loss. We replaced it with an identical one when we got back to the states. Fast forward 8 years to another snorkeling experience and the replacement was lost. I bought him a new one for Christmas but I couldn't find the same design that he had. He's had this one for over 3 years but now he takes it off when we are in the water.

I always take my rings on vacation but I leave them in the safe when we're going on a beach day or to the pool. When we took our European cruises, I always wore them when we were in port.

According to that Seinfeld episode with George, things shrink in the water.;)

On further thought, one is just as likely to be mugged in the US walking to your car from the mall as walking down the street in a port. The difference is there will probably be more people around you in the port if you stay out of the backstreets.

I wear my rings onboard but take them off and leave them in the safe when we go into a port because I don't want to scuff them up while I'm on the beach in the sand or doing an activity. It's the same reason I take my rings off when I'm at the gym.

Do what makes you feel comfortable.

I wear mine almost all the time. My diamond is not very big (just over 1/2 carat), but it is in an unusual setting, and I get comments on it all the time.

Dh lost his class ring in the Gulf years ago, and I've always been paranoid. So anytime I know we are going to be in the water, snorkling or what-not, I leave it in the safe. We spend a week on the beach near St. Pete every year, and I leave it in the room, too, when we're in the water.

When I was in High School I had a birthstone ring my parents gave me. (A Blue Topaz, so not an overly expensive stone, but still). Anyway, I worked at McD's at the time and was changing out the Hot Fudge and it fell into the vat of hot fudge. OOPS! :eek:

You are only on vacation for a week; leave it home. Why risk losing it? I always pack lightly and only take things I would not mind losing, jewelry included. Wear a less-precious ring on your ring finger if it bothers you wearing nothing.

I wouldn't be worried about someone stealing it, I would be worried about losing it while swimming, washing hands in public bathrooms, etc. You might be able to find something lost at home, but much it is much harder to retrieve things when you are going from port to port.

Archived