Notarized Letter Required?

D&TTexasCruisers

Does anyone know if the passport also takes the place of the notarized letter from the other parent? I had to get a notarized letter from him to get the passport for my child so I would think that would be sufficient but someone said they would still require a letter authorizing me to take him out of the country.

HELP!

They may ask for the letter. When my husband took our oldest son on a trip to England, he had a passport but no letter and the immigration folks asked husband for the letter. After taking son aside (he was 10 at the time) and questioning him as to why I wasn't traveling, they let them continue the trip. I've read a lot of posts from cruisers who weren't asked for the letter, but if you can get the letter, it's better safe than sorry.

do you have total custody of your child..or shared?? if you have total all you need is a passport..when i took my grandson on a cruise, i had his passport and a letter authorizing me to take him out of the country and a power of attorney for medical

... I've read a lot of posts from cruisers who weren't asked for the letter, but if you can get the letter, it's better safe than sorry.

This was my experience - didn't think about it in advance - but I was told by the airline that I might possibly be denied entry into our destination country without one.

They may ask for the letter. When my husband took our oldest son on a trip to England, he had a passport but no letter and the immigration folks asked husband for the letter. After taking son aside (he was 10 at the time) and questioning him as to why I wasn't traveling, they let them continue the trip. I've read a lot of posts from cruisers who weren't asked for the letter, but if you can get the letter, it's better safe than sorry.

If they can't get the letter, they really need a court authorization. As immigration agents can require the letter or equivalent, it's really important not to think, "Well, most people don't seem to be asked for it, so I won't worry." That's sure to result in them being the ones that the agents require (not ask) for the letter or court authorization. Some countries won't rely on questioning the child, regardless of age.

beachchick

Does anyone know if the passport also takes the place of the notarized letter from the other parent? I had to get a notarized letter from him to get the passport for my child so I would think that would be sufficient but someone said they would still require a letter authorizing me to take him out of the country.

HELP!

Permission to obtain a passport is not the same as giving permission to travel out-of-the country. These are two separate issues. You must get the notarized permission to travel letter from the other parent, because you can be denied boarding your cruise or airline without it.

I just thought it very strange that Ihad to get the notorized letter to get a passport which is only for going out of the country right?

Then I have to have another letter on topof that to be able to use the passport that I just got with the notorized letter from his dad.

Anyway I have already taken care of it and the letter is on its way to us so we will be all set.

Thanks everyone for all your answers.

The notarized letter requirement is for the child's protection. Just because a parent has agreed to a passport doesn't mean he has agreed to a particular trip.

Here's an example of why you need a notarized letter even if you've got a passport:

Mom, Dad, and 5 year old son take trip to Europe to visit family, so they get passport. Everything goes fine.

A couple of years later, Mom and Dad divorce very acrimoniously. Mom gets custody and Dad only gets limited visitation. Mom doesn't think to get passport from dad. Without the notarized letter requirement, nothing stops dad from taking son out of country and not returning because he's the one with the passport (that both mom and dad agreed to when they originally got the passport).

Archived