alaska or south america

karen327

I would like to addres this question to people who have cruised both Alaska and around the cape in southern south america. I know alaska has whales and south america has penguans. Both have glacers, Alaska has mountains. How does the wildlife and scenery otherwise compare? Do they both have a lot of fog? Is one colder than the other? Which has more interesting ports? I also know that Alaska is usually one week and South America 2 weeks, but cost isn't that much different on NCL. We can use frequest flyer miles so flight cost shouldn't be a big problem.

I have done each one of these cruises multiple times. Personally, I prefer South America for several reasons;

-there is much more diversity in the scenery

-there is so much natural beauty from the fjords to the coastal areas to the channels

-many of the ports are far less crowded and have far less cruise ships than Alaska

-there is so much more natural beauty to see

Don't get me wrong. We do enjoy Alaska but if I had a choice I would recommend South America over Alaska for the reasons I have mentioned.

Keith

I would pick Alaska. They were both magnificent places to visit. However, I think Alaska was more "majestic". I was blown away by the scenery. You get much closer to the glaciers - not just sail by. The rainforest of south Alaska moderates the temperature really well. The wind in the Fauklands and Chile will almost knock you over. More whales, bears, eagles up north. You have those wonderful penquins south (esp Magellanic on the island). I am partial to wildlife, so that influences my pick. Either is wonderful.:)

Living in the PNW and having been to Alaska 14 times and the Yukon countless times I would choose South America in a heartbeat because I haven't been yet. I am rather hoping that some of the cruise lines will start offering itineraries that begin in one of the CA port and do a 14 or 21 day return down the Pacific side of Central and South America.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Regarding south America around the horn:

When you say wind, how bad?

Are people outside much when in the southern part of the continent?

Is it worth paying for a balcony?

Which ship would you recommend for a couple in their 40's who love nature, scenery and star gazing, as well as main ship entertainment, but not into the party scene or having to get dressed up a lot.

And is it easy to hire someone to give a private tour on shore for a reasonable amount of money like in the Carabean?

In regards to Alaska,

Is there much besides shopping that can be done in port outside of ship excursions?

Can you see glacers, mountains, wildlife etc. the entire trip or just when going through glacer areas?

Is it ever warm enough to use the outside pool?

If you do the one way trip to Anchorage, do you see a lot more than a round trip that some companies offer?

Can you see northern lights from the ship?

karen327, I can't answer your questions about South America (although it is HIGH on my "bucket list"), but as for Alaska, I'd say you can get all your questions answered on the Alaska board under Ports of Call. It is a very actice board this time of year with everyone planning their trips for this coming summer.

My opinion, based on trips in 2007 and 2008 that included land trips before the cruises and southbound cruises to Vancouver -

Many excursions at the ports and I recommend using locals not booked through the ship for smaller and more personalized (and often cheaper!) excursions. One of my favorites is Michelle with Island Wings in Ketchikan.

As for glaciers from the ship - I've done both Glacier Bay and the Hubbard Glacier and recommend Glacier Bay for a first timer. You need to do an excursion in Juneau to see whales - viewing from the ship is spotty. I always recommend doing a land trip into the interior of Alaska (Denali National Park) as that's where you can really see the animals.

Many of the ships have covered pools that can be used in Alaska, but this is not a pool sitting around cruise - there's way too much good things to see even while the ship is cruising between points.

Generally the Northern Lights are a winter thing - too far south on the cruise part, too many hours of sunlight in the summer, and I've read that this won't be a good year anyway - it cycles.

Anyway, check on the Alaska board and think about if you can do Alaska this year - there are some REALLY good prices out there now!

I, too can only answer the Alaska part of your question.

We saw harbor seals, whales in Glacier Bay, and sea otters in College Fjiord. A one way trip between Vancouver and Anchorage will get the most wild life and most spectacular scenery. For the first time, I think a one way is the way to go.

I would recommend a helicopter glacier landing to see a glacier up close. You can't imagine the beauty of a glacier until you see it up close. We did that in Juneau. Excursions can get you a quick walk on the glacier or a hike whichever you prefer.

In skagway, the White Pass Railway takes you to some breath taking scenery.

When we went in May, it never got above the mid 40's. With the wind, that was really cold. There was only one person we spotted one time in a pool, and that was a quick dip.

Archived