LIVE from Explorer with a bad propellor 2/1/09

megr1125

I am going to keep thinking positive about this mishap on the EOS. I am sure this is not the first time something like this has happened. We are traveling with Tony and Rosemarie (RoeC528) and even if we missed every port (which won't happen) we would still have a blast. Looking forward to meeting everyone at the M&M on 2/22. :) A bad day on vacation is still better than a good day at work!!!

It really is no that unusual for ships to hit stuff. That is why there are sunken shipwrecks all a long the Atlantic coast and around the Caribbean islands! :D I remember a few years ago the QE2 managed to ground herself off of the coast here for a while. The tide and some tugs managed to eventually free her. As I remember there was not much damage to her hull.

Heck, as big as the Atlantic is the Stockholm managed to ram the Andrea Doria and send her to the bottom....:eek: On this huge ocean two little specks managed to find each other.

Meg: Thank you so much for the posts and the video... it looks like the weather was great in STT:cool:. How is the Explorer doing? keeping my fingers crossed for my 2/13 sailing, but i am glad you are having warm weather.... update on long island weather... right now 17 degrees..:eek:

OK gang...just a quickie!

We left on time-ish about 11....

I have not been able to "officially" confirm that the prop was fixed...heard from a cabin attendant that it was, but my semi-official source hasn't heard or read anything via email...(they did lift a BIG thing under a cover out of the water and put it in that blue box thing...very CIA-ish! one of my fellow CCers has pix......)

BUT we are in St. Maarten and got here about 7-ish!

HOWEVER......Capt Gunnar is in MIAMI giving his statement....contrary to rumor, i am NOT driving the ship! We picked up (now all you Captain experts help me on the spelling...) Capt Thor Torolvsen...who according to my source, will take us to Antigua where we will pick up...drumroll...Capt Sverre Ryan!!!! WOO HOO!!!

So.......i wishi knew one way or the other and I will see what i can find out..but i am off to shop a little in St M and to have fun...if i find an internet cafe, i will scroll thru the posts...

And ladies, yeah that diver with the bare legs.....:D he could svae me anytime!!

Thanks again Meg!

Watched you turn and sail away from camera on Paradise Point .

Didn't see any tugs. That a good sign!

Jim

The tug was hanging out on the port side by my cabin having a blast...couldn't hear them talking but they sure were laughing out loud!

We are here in St M. with our twin (or technically one of our triplets) the AOS....

bye peeps!:)

I have not been able to "officially" confirm that the prop was fixed...heard from a cabin attendant that it was, but my semi-official source hasn't heard or read anything via email...(they did lift a BIG thing under a cover out of the water and put it in that blue box thing...very CIA-ish! one of my fellow CCers has pix......)

HOWEVER......Capt Gunnar is in MIAMI giving his statement....contrary to rumor, i am NOT driving the ship! We picked up (now all you Captain experts help me on the spelling...) Capt Thor Torolvsen...who according to my source, will take us to Antigua where we will pick up...drumroll...Capt Sverre Ryan!!!! WOO HOO!!!

quote]

is this good news? I am so not familiar with captains, but Capt Thor sounds familiar, perhaps he was on one of my previous sailings.... so i am taking this sounds like good news to me..... at least i am hoping...

is this good news? I am so not familiar with captains' date=' but Capt Thor sounds familiar, perhaps he was on one of my previous sailings.... so i am taking this sounds like good news to me..... at least i am hoping...[/b'][/font]

He was the Captain on my Jewel Panama Canal cruise last month.

Once again Meg...thanks so much for all your efforts in keeping us posted. You're quite the HUMAN BEING, to be taking time away from your vacation to try and calm down all of us lunatics at home...LOL

I hope you're enjoying St. Maarten and I hope that you enjoy the rest of your Cruise...If I was there, I'd buy you a drink...:D

Thanks again..and I hope Capt. Sverre Ryan stays on as the Captain. We had him last year and he was GREAT!

So.......i wishi knew one way or the other and I will see what i can find out..but i am off to shop a little in St M and to have fun...if i find an internet cafe, i will scroll thru the posts...

And ladies, yeah that diver with the bare legs.....:D he could svae me anytime!!

!!

Ahh relieved of duty. I didn't understand why he was even allowed to captain the ship from bayonne.

And Yippee!!! Captain Ryan :D

That means the ship is going to keep cruising.

The reassigning of captains on EOS answers the question of who was driving the ship when is broke. Earlier postings raised the question of the Harbor Pilot as responsible person.

Don't you just love throwing thousands of dollars away to get on a cruise ship with inherent problems?

Don't you just love throwing thousands of dollars away to get on a cruise ship with inherent problems?

What is your point? Most people tend to not to think inherent problems, but rather "accident".

Life happens.

No disrespect meant, please keep this on track. As someone on the next cruise, I really need Meg to WANT to take time out of her vacation and spend her money to keep myself and my other cruisers informed.

If this crap is pulled on here, she WILL NOT update us and we really would like to know what is going on.

Thank you Meg so much for helping the Valentine's Cruisers. :D

Well, I know it means nothing, considering RCI's apparent policy of lack of information, but I just got off the phone with a representative after asking a question about something else. While I had her on the phone I asked her if she knew what the status of EOS was and mentioned that I knew she was being repaired in St. T yesterday.

The rep. said she had not heard anything and asked me when I was sailing. I told her I'm on the 2/13 sailing next week. She told me if there was an issue or any problems, I would have been notified already. If I haven't heard anything from RCI then supposedly we're good to go with no problems.

But from what I've been reading, that sounds like empty rhetoric to me. However, I'll keep a level of optimism going. I know we'll get much more accurate reports from Meg (if we haven't driven her from this thread by now!):eek: They should put her on the payroll!

I would venture to guess that at least 99% of the people on board do not see it that way and are enjoying their cruise, are glad the trip was not canceled, and are going with the flow.

I am am just grateful that we have Meg to inform us of any new developments. Apparently anyone connected with RCI has either incorrect information,no information or are told to keep mum. I agree with Stimpydekat and find this disturbing.

OK.....now i have to try to deduce stuff....yikes!

First...the shopping was fine...i spent a whole 10 bucks! LOL!

Next....they really couldn't see to fix her in Bayonne...have y'all ever LOOKED at the Hudson...not to diss the NJ/NY people, but...uh....well...clear it isn't! HAHA!

NOW....the big blue box reappeared, along with what seems to be some sort of compressor (i presume for air for divers...) but i didn't see anyone...and the little rescuse boat is tied up at the stern. SOOOOoooo....looks like they are still tinkering! Yikes...

I wasn't on the ship in time for the noon announcement from the bridge...so i will see what i can find out from my "peeps!"

As for throwing away money...well...the alternatives are 1) HOME in the snow and ice or 2) a refund but that would mean i would be stuck with choice #1! SOoooo....as long as we are someplace...

Haven't heard if any other ports will be changed, but since we should be picking up Capt Ryan (fingers crossed that this was right, but i assume it is) we won't miss Antigua.....

St Maarten was nice... VERY hot...they are expanding the pier area.....we have a lovely view of construction! (And the America's cup excursion!)

And again, thanks to all who are my little cheering section! I will write a review when i return...maybe i will start typing it on my laptop!

BTW for you internet junkies....stick with STT....it's more expensive here in SXM and no place right nearby that i see!

OK.....i may stop in later if i hear anything....behave! (And i guess if y'all wanna call shore-to-ship and pay my seapass bill, i will be more than happy to head to the bar!!!):D:D:D

I've been on the Explorer and the ship is in fine shape and very well maintained. Stuff happens from time to time and I'm sure it will be repaired.

OK.....now i have to try to deduce stuff....yikes!

First...the shopping was fine...i spent a whole 10 bucks! LOL!

Next....they really couldn't see to fix her in Bayonne...have y'all ever LOOKED at the Hudson...not to diss the NJ/NY people, but...uh....well...clear it isn't! HAHA!

NOW....the big blue box reappeared, along with what seems to be some sort of compressor (i presume for air for divers...) but i didn't see anyone...and the little rescuse boat is tied up at the stern. SOOOOoooo....looks like they are still tinkering! Yikes...

I wasn't on the ship in time for the noon announcement from the bridge...so i will see what i can find out from my "peeps!"

As for throwing away money...well...the alternatives are 1) HOME in the snow and ice or 2) a refund but that would mean i would be stuck with choice #1! SOoooo....as long as we are someplace...

Haven't heard if any other ports will be changed, but since we should be picking up Capt Ryan (fingers crossed that this was right, but i assume it is) we won't miss Antigua.....

St Maarten was nice... VERY hot...they are expanding the pier area.....we have a lovely view of construction! (And the America's cup excursion!)

And again, thanks to all who are my little cheering section! I will write a review when i return...maybe i will start typing it on my laptop!

BTW for you internet junkies....stick with STT....it's more expensive here in SXM and no place right nearby that i see!

OK.....i may stop in later if i hear anything....behave! (And i guess if y'all wanna call shore-to-ship and pay my seapass bill, i will be more than happy to head to the bar!!!):D:D:D

Thank you for the updates. If you do pick up Captain Ryan in Antiqua, I feel that you will get updates from him.

Archived