OT: When is hurricaine season for 2009?

Actually it's June until November 30th...but the peak is late August until the end of October in Florida...I'm not sure when the peak is in the Caribbean...I know they have had some awful storms in July and August on the Islands of Jamaica and Grand Cayman...and a few others...some have been as early as June...but if there is a hurricane the ship will steer away from it...sometimes ternaries are canceled, and sometimes the trip is lengthened or shortened, or postponed a day or two...this is why it is important to always have insurance during hurricane season.

I think that this year they decided that we would just skip hurricane season as it tended to interfere with people's plans. Then after reading this thread. I think they just made it random. Today for example is not hurricane season, but tomorrow is the peak. :eek:;)

June thru November... :D

jc

Thanks you guys. Great, so I've always cruised in June or July and just never realized I was in hurricaine season??? LOL...very nice, ;)!

This will be the first time we are planning a "fall cruise", so just determining the best time to go. Definitely don't want to travel during PEAKS...yikes!

The time period (June 1 through November 30th) doesn't change from year to year and as others have pointed out, hurricanes and other serious storms can occur even outside those dates. Overall there are usually far more weeks during hurricane season when there isn't a hurricane stirring than weeks when there is. There are of course no guarantees so you have to take a chance. Travel insurance will help protect you in case you choose wrong.:)

You'd be much less likely to run into a hurricane doing the Mexican Riviera because hurricanes tend to move in a westerly direction. If it forms in the Pacific, it rarely comes ashore. Here's a link to a map of the Pacific storms from 2007 so you get an idea of how they tend to move. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tracks/2007epac.jpg

Here's the Atlantic for 2007: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tracks/2007atl.jpg

My first cruise was a S. Caribbean leaving on June 4, 2000. We had to detour around a hurricane. The hurricanes don't run on a set schedule. There are historical trends that you can check out, but from June 1 - Nov. 30, all bets are off regarding itineraries.

My DH and I live on the Texas Gulf Coast outside of Houston. We also have a bay house in Sargent, Tx. which is about 20 miles south of Freeport,Tx. Hurricane season is always Sept.1 thru Nov.30. with the biggest potential in Sept. In Sept. 08 Hurrican IKE played havoc on our coast especially Galveston. They are still recovering and it will take a long time before everything is back to normal. We live 33 miles sw of Houston and we were out of school for 6 days because of exectricity being out. I have always told DH that I will never cruise during hurricane season and we cruise a lot.

Hi,

In Two years 07 Great No Hurricanes, 08 many Hurricanes, could not go to Labadee. Hurricane season goes 8/1-11/1-Aug-Nov. yes the rates are great, but you are taking a chance. My prediction for 09 No Hurricanes, smooth sailing.

peace,

Jon P:)

Hurricane season ends the last day of November I believe. Not too many that late but there have been a few.
Those darn hurricanes never were much good at reading calendars. Alice became a hurricane on December 30, 1954 and stayed one until January 6, 1955, becoming both the latest and the earliest in one fell swoop. Although the earliest one formed was in March.

Also, to the OP - If you're thinking about the Mexican Riviera, the Eastern Pacific hurricane season starts May 15.

Do we really need to have a season in 2009? I think I speak for many in Texas, Florida and along the Gulf Coast, Enough Already.

One person I met on Saturday just finsihed rebuilding their place in time for Ike to crash it all up again. We need a break...

Thanks you guys. Great, so I've always cruised in June or July and just never realized I was in hurricaine season??? LOL...very nice, ;)!

This will be the first time we are planning a "fall cruise", so just determining the best time to go. Definitely don't want to travel during PEAKS...yikes!

Sept/Oct in the Caribbean is really still summer, especially Sept. We've hit hurricanes the beginning of Sept and the end of Oct when cruising, but the prices are really cheaper during this time. Also, if you're flying, you may consider booking your airfare thru RCCL as they handle all the changes if there are changes due to weather.

Archived