Long Flight to Australia

cruiseonly

Economy?

BusinessFirst from HNL-CLE. The CLE-LAX flights I will be very surprised if I don't get the elite upgrade but I'm booked in couch. V Aussie I'm booked in Y but with a 45% load factor in coach I think I will get a empty seat next to me to stretch out on. Fingers crossed. I picked the only row in Y with only 2 seats and 1 window seat so I hope nobody else takes it considering the recline is slightly smaller. (I'm not really a recline fan more of a leaning fan)

correction to what I said before I fly to los angeles then au on the 21st not 20th.

BusinessFirst from HNL-CLE. The CLE-LAX flights I will be very surprised if I don't get the elite upgrade but I'm booked in couch. V Aussie I'm booked in Y but with a 45% load factor in coach I think I will get a empty seat next to me to stretch out on. Fingers crossed. I picked the only row in Y with only 2 seats and 1 window seat so I hope nobody else takes it considering the recline is slightly smaller. (I'm not really a recline fan more of a leaning fan)

correction to what I said before I fly to los angeles then au on the 21st not 20th.

I don't know if I'm the only one but I have no idea what you were saying. I'm sorry :o

Good luck with your seating.

With a low load factor, you may be able to stretch out across empty 4 seats in the middle, which is what I did on our last Singapore to Brisbane leg - heaven!!

Good luck with your seating.

With a low load factor, you may be able to stretch out across empty 4 seats in the middle, which is what I did on our last Singapore to Brisbane leg - heaven!!

V Australia run a 3-3-3 economy config. Probably a 96% load when I flew them so no opportunity to use another seat, but pretty good nonetheless.

V Australia run a 3-3-3 economy config. Probably a 96% load when I flew them so no opportunity to use another seat, but pretty good nonetheless.

Thanks - Seat config. is handy to know.

I'm pleasantly surprised at that high load factor. I wonder if it is because prices have become much more competitive on the Pacific route, from Australia, in particular?

QF PE as far as SYD, then NZ in Y for the short bits. Should be OK, although improvising shower arrangements at SYD is going to be interesting.

Are there no showers available for travellers at Sydney Airport? Guess you can't get access to Qantas Lounge on PE?

I have never tried PE, as each time I've booked long haul to Europe, I've been able to buy a business class ticket or business/economy combination on another airline for less price.

I suspect PE, from the Australian end, is overpriced like most travel.

Hope you enjoy a good flight.

The VAustralia 773 sounds like a nice ride. We're on an A380 LAX-MEL and I'm almost more excited about the flight than the destination (just kidding). Hopefully there will not be an equipment change to a 744, happens now and then.
Would love to hear about your experience on the A380. Kimberley

We are scheduled to fly from PBI - Dallas - LAX. Seven hour layover.

Then a 14 1/2 hr flight to Sydney in November. My ankles usually swell pretty bad and the longest flight I have ever been on was 9 hrs. Any suggestions on helping the ankles not to swell. We are flying economy because otherwise we cannot afford to go. Then we are cruisng for 13 days.

When we arrive in Sydney I want to be in good enough shape (hopefully getting at least 6 - 7 hrs of sleep) and ankles not to swollen to be able to walk around Darling Harbour and to some sightseeing the first day. Our flight arrives around 8:00 am in Sydney.

Any suggestions on helping the ankles not to swell and also getting some decent sleep. Thanks.:D

Get up once an hour and walk around the cabin, even if only a few minutes. Twin-aisle widebody jets allow you to walk a "lap" as well as avoid the serving carts (though I recommend waiting until cabin service is done).

If you're short and can't "flatfoot" the floor when seated, scoot your carryon from under the seat in front and use it as a footrest. The idea is getting the back of your thighs off the front of the seat cushion.

Many inflight magazines have exercises you can do at your seat to avoid DVT.

Then a 14 1/2 hr flight to Sydney in November. My ankles usually swell pretty bad and the longest flight I have ever been on was 9 hrs. Any suggestions on helping the ankles not to swell. We are flying economy because otherwise we cannot afford to go. Then we are cruisng for 13 days.

When we arrive in Sydney I want to be in good enough shape (hopefully getting at least 6 - 7 hrs of sleep) and ankles not to swollen to be able to walk around Darling Harbour and to some sightseeing the first day. Our flight arrives around 8:00 am in Sydney.

Any suggestions on helping the ankles not to swell and also getting some decent sleep. Thanks.:D

This V Australia video, Fit For Flying, has some tips

Are there no showers available for travellers at Sydney Airport? Guess you can't get access to Qantas Lounge on PE?
Showers are available in the international terminal:

http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/SACL/T1-Services-and-Amenities.html

Yes, I'm likely to have to use the public showers. I would be entitled to use the QF lounge except that my onward flight is on NZ, so I suspect I won't be allowed to. The funny thing about the public showers is that there are no towel facilities. That's the bit that I'm improvising more than anything else. We'll see what happens - have got as far as Bangkok so far.

We wear special pressure socks (from the chemist), as well as do exercises and walk around the cabin, as recommended by kenish.

I also make sure my feet can reach a flat surface, by using my hand luggage, if necessary.

I wear clogs, or some other shoe that I can slip off easily, or shoes that have a bit of extra room to allow for some swelling. I avoid shoes with laces.

I totally agree with the advice about making sure your feet can touch the ground, and about moving around the cabin regularly. Doing exercises while sitting (ankle rolls, calf lifts, etc) also helps.

I'd like to add: drink plenty of water! It helps keep swelling at bay, and having to get up to use the lav every now and then will get you moving around. (DO NOT drink carbonated beverages- they induce swelling.)

I used to wear the special socks, but then I read several articles that said they actually could be harmful. I find that since I've stopped wearing them, I experience less swelling and fewer leg cramps.

I wear clogs, or some other shoe that I can slip off easily, or shoes that have a bit of extra room to allow for some swelling. I avoid shoes with laces.

I totally agree with the advice about making sure your feet can touch the ground, and about moving around the cabin regularly. Doing exercises while sitting (ankle rolls, calf lifts, etc) also helps.

I'd like to add: drink plenty of water! It helps keep swelling at bay, and having to get up to use the lav every now and then will get you moving around. (DO NOT drink carbonated beverages- they induce swelling.)

I used to wear the special socks, but then I read several articles that said they actually could be harmful. I find that since I've stopped wearing them, I experience less swelling and fewer leg cramps.

Could you please provide information on why pressure socks could be harmful, or link to relevant articles, as I hadn't heard that before?

All members of our family wear pressure socks, from the chemist, when we fly long haul.

If I didn't wear pressure socks, I wouldn't be able to get my slip on shoes back on (I have small feet and ankles).

Fortunately, leg cramps aren't a problem for any of us on flights.

Could you please provide information on why pressure socks could be harmful, or link to relevant articles, as I hadn't heard that before?.

I'd be interested in that information too. My brother-in-law, who is a vascular surgeon, always recommends his patients wear pressure socks. We never have, but my husband had major surgery recently and we were considering whether he should wear the pressure socks that he had to wear in hospital next time he flies long-haul (not till September.) All the advice on this thread about fluids, doing exercises, moving around cabin is good, and something we always follow.

I personally would not take sleeping pills, because you sleep so soundly and don't move about, and at one point they were linking this with DVT also. That was many years ago, when DVT was first mentioned by the media. Perhaps it is no longer an issue.

Could you please provide information on why pressure socks could be harmful, or link to relevant articles, as I hadn't heard that before?

All members of our family wear pressure socks, from the chemist, when we fly long haul.

If I didn't wear pressure socks, I wouldn't be able to get my slip on shoes back on (I have small feet and ankles).

Fortunately, leg cramps aren't a problem for any of us on flights.

It's been a few years since I read the articles (tho' I'm sure you can use google to find current ones)- but they pointed out that, although the pressure socks were effective in reducing both swelling and DVT, you had to be very careful to make sure you had both the correct fit and also put them on the right way, or you could cause yourself more harm than good. More important, for certain people- diabetics, people who are overweight, people with other specific health problems- the socks were often contraindicated. I believe that all the pressure socks carry warnings to that effect.

All the articles I read, even those that said the socks were highly recommended, pointed out that you could gain the same benefit by making sure to walk around the cabin and to drink plenty of fluids. I found that once I started following that advice, I experienced less ankle and foot swelling, got over jet lag much easier (even when I didn't sleep much on the flight), and most important to me- I don't have problems with leg cramps anymore (I used to experience severe- incredibly painful- leg cramps the night after a flight).

At one time, I thought it might be that the socks I was using were too tight, but I tried a few different brands, and different compressions, and always had problems.

Needless to say, your experience could certainly be different than mine (it sounds like it is), but just be sure that you are wearing the correct socks, and putting them on the right way. Also, even with the correct socks, walking around the cabin and drinking fluids are a good idea (and recommended). Even when I wore the socks, I wore clogs or shoes that were easy to slip on and off, and I made sure to keep my legs elevated. I'm sure my feet swell during the flight, but by wearing clogs the swelling isn't an issue, and I haven't really noticed any swelling.

Whew! Sorry for the long reply! Didn't mean to sound like I was on a soapbox!! I'm just glad that I've found a way to fly comfortably- even when flying almost 10,000 miles to see my grandchildren!

BTW- I also make sure to wear loose clothing- wide leg pull on pants, loose tops, etc. I look neat and well groomed, but I feel like (but don't look like!) I'm wearing pj's. I feel so much more comfortable, no matter how long the flight- or delay :(- since I started dressing that way!

It's been a few years since I read the articles (tho' I'm sure you can use google to find current ones)- but they pointed out that, although the pressure socks were effective in reducing both swelling and DVT, you had to be very careful to make sure you had both the correct fit and also put them on the right way, or you could cause yourself more harm than good. More important, for certain people- diabetics, people who are overweight, people with other specific health problems- the socks were often contraindicated. I believe that all the pressure socks carry warnings to that effect.

All the articles I read, even those that said the socks were highly recommended, pointed out that you could gain the same benefit by making sure to walk around the cabin and to drink plenty of fluids. I found that once I started following that advice, I experienced less ankle and foot swelling, got over jet lag much easier (even when I didn't sleep much on the flight), and most important to me- I don't have problems with leg cramps anymore (I used to experience severe- incredibly painful- leg cramps the night after a flight).

At one time, I thought it might be that the socks I was using were too tight, but I tried a few different brands, and different compressions, and always had problems.

Needless to say, your experience could certainly be different than mine (it sounds like it is), but just be sure that you are wearing the correct socks, and putting them on the right way. Also, even with the correct socks, walking around the cabin and drinking fluids are a good idea (and recommended). Even when I wore the socks, I wore clogs or shoes that were easy to slip on and off, and I made sure to keep my legs elevated. I'm sure my feet swell during the flight, but by wearing clogs the swelling isn't an issue, and I haven't really noticed any swelling.

Whew! Sorry for the long reply! Didn't mean to sound like I was on a soapbox!! I'm just glad that I've found a way to fly comfortably- even when flying almost 10,000 miles to see my grandchildren!

BTW- I also make sure to wear loose clothing- wide leg pull on pants, loose tops, etc. I look neat and well groomed, but I feel like (but don't look like!) I'm wearing pj's. I feel so much more comfortable, no matter how long the flight- or delay :(- since I started dressing that way!

I'd be interested in that information too. My brother-in-law, who is a vascular surgeon, always recommends his patients wear pressure socks. We never have, but my husband had major surgery recently and we were considering whether he should wear the pressure socks that he had to wear in hospital next time he flies long-haul (not till September.) All the advice on this thread about fluids, doing exercises, moving around cabin is good, and something we always follow.

I personally would not take sleeping pills, because you sleep so soundly and don't move about, and at one point they were linking this with DVT also. That was many years ago, when DVT was first mentioned by the media. Perhaps it is no longer an issue.

Thanks for your response, Happy Trailer. Yes, I was aware that the correct size and fit were very important. For me, the hardest part is keeping them on for awhile after arrival, especially in the tropics.

As you used to suffer leg cramps, after flights, there must have been some problem with them for you.

Good tip re comfortable loose clothing.

Hi Emma Chisit. My girlfriend was advised by her surgeon that she had to wear the full size pressure stockings on long haul flights until six months after her minor surgery.

I wouldn't consider sleeping pills for the same reason. However, I don't have any problems sleeping on planes, whilst my husband rarely sleeps.

DVT remains a concern, especially when you hear of young people dying.

(On my first long haul flight from London to New York, to meet my penfriend, looking cool in my mini and long boots, I was horrified to discover, on arrival, that I couldn't do my boots up. I had to make my grand entrance with my boots open trailing in the snow.

After that experience, pressure socks are my coolest travel accessory. :) )

Yes, thanks for your response happy trailer. I too tried the pressure socks and didn’t like them, and still got cramps afterwards. Maybe the fit was the thing. The ones which my husband was given in hospital are quite different to the ones sold in pharmacists.

Like you, I do all the things recommended – though the walking around is difficult when you get an airline like United, which, in my experience, tends to put the seatbelt sign on at the slightest hint of turbulence, and keeps the sign on much longer than others.

I am also a fan of loose clothing and slip-on shoes (the latter are very handy for airport security too, when you have to do the “shoe dance”). When you live a long way from where you want to be (I have grandkids in the US) you develop strategies to deal with those long flights. Being such a princess I also take my own sleep mask and earplugs, because they are comfier than the airline-supplied ones. One product I also use is this inflatable exercise foot cushion, don’t know if it is available outside Oz. At least you can still use it when the airline has you strapped down in the seat, due to turbulence!

http://www.petersofkensington.com.au/Product/ProductInfo.aspx?id=1272841&cid=568

MM Down Under, thanks for the information about your friend post-surgery. Will make sure my husband asks the surgeon about the pressure stockings at his six week check-up . Also, highly amused by mental picture of you tramping through the snow with your boots flapping…

Archived