A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Janiceah:

I have not been on the Eurodam, so I can't say anything with respect to it, but insofar as your question refers to HAL generally, I can.

A couple of years ago, I posted a question on the board of another cruise line, which was approximately, "I'm dissatisfied with mass market lines, but I can't afford luxury ones; why can't there be a cruise line that charges 15% to 25% more and provides a superior but not a luxury experience?" Then I found that there was and it didn't even charge 15% to 25% more. I've been happy ever since.

In my experience I've found a somewhat different kind of passenger on the HAL ships than on the larger mass market ones and I don't think it's an socioeconomic difference. I theorize that the kind of folks I like, reasonably reserved, but interesting folk, prefer HAL, so most of them end up there together. There are some exceptions, but, in my experience, far less than on other lines.

If someone asked me where they could find food, relaxation and elegance on a true cruise ship, I'd recommend HAL. (I prefer smaller ships than the Eurodam, but I guess there's a 50-50 chance you'll like it better.)

I suggest you follow this board as much as you can between now and next February, so you can learn the tricks necessary to outwit the officers on the Eurodam. I wouldn't try to outwit the dining room and cabin stewards; the competition for cruise ship jobs in their country must be intense, because most of them seem to be smarter than many of the passengers. Fortunately, they don't try to outwit us, just make us happy.

What a great reply. My DH and I are a middle class, middle aged couple and we usually take 1 vacation a year in the winter. We've discovered through the years that are needs are simple. We love to meet new people, go somewhere warm, eat good food, relax and read. I loved the idea of cruising but like I said NCL didn't seem like a great fit for us. We still had a good time but really wanted to try something else. After doing some research and asking around (and reading this board) I decided that HAL just sounded perfect for what we are looking for in a vacation. Janice

Hi there, I think I see where the confusion is, so let's give it a shot.

By having sailed with ANY of the sister lines - Carnival, Princess, Seabourn, Cunard or Costa - you are entitled to the past guest fares offered on most sailings.

Specific perks based on your loyalty level with the other lines however, is not interchangable. Example: If I have a status with Cruise Brand #1 that gives me free champagne and free laundry and free internet, Cruise Brand #2 would only offer me those same benefits if I have a loyalty level with them and they have a program that would offer the same amenities.

Cruising 100 times with Carnival, and booking your first HAL, or vice versa, or insert any of the other sister lines into this example, means that you have only sailed with the line you are booking... Once.

Apologies that it appears you experienced confusion with that. I hope I managed to make some sense :)

thank you dutch, we booked the oosterdam for august, this will be our 4th on hal, so we are trying to get the perks for all the lines. i love carnival, but i love rcl, but i love norweigen, then again I JUST LOVE TO CRUISE...thanks again

Hi Dutch, In the latest edition of the Mariner Magazine there are

renderings of changes to the Veendam, Rotterdam, Statandam,Mmaasdam,Rhyndam. I would like to know whose idea is it to replace the seaview pools with these wading pool retreats? It is just plain dumb. People want more pools not less. The beautiful seaview pool areas are so loved by HAL passengers. Where does HAL do its market research? It certainly can't be with HAL passengers. Shouldn't we have a say sometimes? i am not happy about losing the seaview pools at all. :(

Boy! Pettifogger nailed it! I've never been able to put into words why we choose HAL, Pettifogger did it for me.

On another issue, I may be in the minority, but I think I' going to like the new shallow pools set up.

----Penny

Boy! Pettifogger nailed it! I've never been able to put into words why we choose HAL, Pettifogger did it for me.

On another issue, I may be in the minority, but I think I' going to like the new shallow pools set up.

----Penny

So you don't do laps?:D

----Penny

Why?

Hello "lettienets"

I look since weeks to find out what is its MS Nieuw Amsterdam initial sailing’s.

Now you talk about the Mariner Magazine…..

Could you please be so kind to post the link here – because I am unable to find it?:confused:

Happy cruising

Gerd

Our marvelous cruises :

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March 2007

MS Volendam – Panama Canal – April 2008

116 days - 33'054 Nm

Future Cruise :

1a9e527468f45e24344692102efb55de.png

And already in our pipeline :

ac3818e1c6f0a0d624d514eb053ecbdd.png

Could you please be so kind to post the link here – because I am unable to find it?:confused:

I haven't gotten the latest Mariner magazine in my mail yet, but I think this is it. Cruise listings start on page 19. CLICK HERE

EDIT: No, sorry, I don't see any Nieuw Amsterdam cruises listed there. :( I guess the newest Mariner mag is not on-line yet. :(

Hello "lettienets"

I look since weeks to find out what is its MS Nieuw Amsterdam initial sailing’s.

I got it in the mail and did not know you could see it online. The Nieuw Amsterdam is doing 12 day roundtrip Venice and 12 day Venice To Barcelona

Gerd - I JUST got my new Mariner mag in the mail!!

Nieuw Amsterdam Venice-Venice sailings will be Jul 14, Aug 19, and Sep 24 2010. PP prices "from": I 2399, O 2799, V 3399, S 4299.

Venice to Barcelona will be Jul 26, Aug 31, and Oct 6. PP prices starting at: I 2299, O 2699, V 3299, S 4199.

Oddly, they don't list any Barcelona to Venice! I guess you have to figure out for yourself that they will be on Aug 7 and Sep 12.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Dutch

i've been reading on a different thread about HAL doing a 'Chefs Table' on the Westerdam, but maybe considering rolling it out on other ships. Have you heard anything about this as we would love to do this on our forthcoming clear.gif Oosterdamcruise in August.

thanks

Kids at home cruisers

Haven't heard of it stretching throughout the fleet, but it's absolutely fantastic and I hope it does :)

Hi, we have just booked a cruise on the Eurodam for February of 2010 going to the E. Caribbean. Our only cruise was on NCL Pearl and as much as we had a great time it wasn't a fit for us. We actually came back and decided that cruising just wasn't for us.

Then we decided to do another vacation with my brother and SIL and I realized that maybe it wasn't that we didn't love cruising, maybe we just needed to try another line.

The Pearl just didn't feel like a ship to me, it felt more like a hotel. We just don't use things like bowling alleys, rock climbing walls, etc and I was looking for a ship that put more emphasis on the food, relaxation, elegance. Not that I don't get the appeal of the bigger ships with these ameneties, it just isn't what I'm looking for on a vacation.

So, we decided to try HAL as I loved the things I've read about it. I love that it sounds like I imagine a true cruiseship to be. I love that when I read people's questions on here they sound like people I want to be around and yet there's a diversity there. I hope HAL will be a fit as I'd love to find a cruiseline that we want to sail with over and over. I'm curious if other people have tried HAL and ended up saying "now that's what I'm talking about". Thanks for listening-Janice

Based on your descriptions, I think the Vista or Signature Class (Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam, Eurodam or upcoming Nieuw Amsterdam) would be a great fit for you!

Are the Mediterranean menus different from the Caribbean menus on Holland America ships? Also, do all ships have the same menu? We are traveling on the Noordam in the Mediterranean in June and would love to see a nightly menu for the dining room.

Thanks!:o

There will be some similarities, but some differences as well.

Caribbean will have nights that focus on caribbean seafoods and fresh tropical fruits integrated into sauces, desserts, etc.

Mediterranean will focus more on some evenings on the flavors of that region... garlic, olives and olive oil, etc.

I've been reading your blog, thank you for all the information that you share with us CC members. I was wondering if you know if the counselors in the kids club have been through a background check. I was planning on using the babysitting in cabins also and some members of the CC were telling me that's not safe.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

I can't imagine why anyone would say that Club HAL is unsafe. Not knowing the situation however, I don't know what they might be referencing.

I know all employees (land and ship) go through background checks, but if you need to know something more specific, I would think that perhaps Ship Services can contact the ship you are concerned about closer to the time of your sailing, and see if it's POSSIBLE that additional information can be obtained.

Hi Dutch can you please explain to me the benefit of SS cabin on NOORDAM what does a phone concierge do for SS cabins:confused: ? can phone concierge arrange reservation at pinnacle grill and Canaletto restaurants and can they arrange tours excursions ? hoping for your reply:)

To my knowledge, and as it has always been explained to me, the Phone Concierge can do anything/everything the staff in the Neptune Lounge would do, but since you haven't paid for the deluxe suite, you don't have access to the Neptune Lounge.

So as I understand it, yes.

Hi Dutch, In the latest edition of the Mariner Magazine there are

renderings of changes to the Veendam, Rotterdam, Statandam,Mmaasdam,Rhyndam. I would like to know whose idea is it to replace the seaview pools with these wading pool retreats? It is just plain dumb. People want more pools not less. The beautiful seaview pool areas are so loved by HAL passengers. Where does HAL do its market research? It certainly can't be with HAL passengers. Shouldn't we have a say sometimes? i am not happy about losing the seaview pools at all. :(

SOrry to hear of your dissatisfaction.

There have been some changes to these proposed drydocks as has been mentioned in other threads, and the deckplans on HAL's website now reflect modifications to Statendam's and Ryndam's drydocks. Maasdam is still far enough out it is not reflected yet...

As to where/how the marketing studies take place I do not have access to that information.

----Penny

Glad to hear that Penny. The area looks incredible and sounds like a success to me as well. Of course this, like any other change is bound to have people that are excited and people that are... well... "less than" excited...

Hi There

Hope your having a great cruise

Quick question any idea when the 2010 land/tours will be released

Are you referring to Alaska? I BELIEVE they are bookable now. I know that the cruises are for sure... Cruisetours ought to be, but if not yet, then very soon.

Hey Dutch, any idea when details about Nieuw Amsterdam's inaugural season (and naming ceremony) might be released by the company?

Not certain. I know that naming events are one of the things handled by the VP of Public Relations, and as we just named a new VP of Public Relations, I would imagine it is definitely higher on the to-do list but as for a time estimate, I don't have one.

Not certain. I know that naming events are one of the things handled by the VP of Public Relations, and as we just named a new VP of Public Relations, I would imagine it is definitely higher on the to-do list but as for a time estimate, I don't have one.

Thanks! I'm sure it'll be brought out with a big bang! Wasn't Rose Abello VP of Public Relations?

Will any of the room stewards be Filipino? or any of the rest of the crew? I grew up in the Philippines as a child of missionaries and still speak my local dialect. I enjoy meeting Filipinos to talk about where they are from, etc.

Archived