A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Hello Dutch!

According to HAL's website, the Oosterdam has a 12-day cruise beginning Sept. 4. Her next scheduled cruise, according to HAL, begins Sept. 23.

Do you know where she will be for the one-week between Sept. 16-23?

Thanks!

C.

Do you know if HAL has non alcoholic wine available for dinner?

Dave

Yes, and they are available for order before you leave as well.

There are options for a N/A red, white, blush and sparkling... There is also Martinelli's cider for those that prefer something that isn't even meant to TASTE like it has alcohol. 1 or 2 choices for non-alcoholic beer and a pretty good sized menu of N/A "mocktails" too.

DBA: HAL should reward you handsomely for this great unofficial service that so many of us loyal cruisers greatly appreciate.........It is not often that so much information is available in one spot with news that is valuable even for veteran cruisers.

Can you tell me if the Captain on the Maasdam for our cruise in October (23rd) is still Henk Draper? This would be our third cruise with him if he is still onboard.

Thank you

I know Captain Draper is currently on vacation and I'm pretty sure he would be back by that time. I've always heard positive things about him although I haven't personally met him.

And thank you for the very kind words :)

Or, right now, see if you can buy an upgrade to a DD guarantee. You could still end up on the Main deck in a D or DA about the same distance from the bow, but there you'd be one deck closer to the Lower Promeande. Plus you'd have a chance of being assigned to a DD or better on the L.P.

Great advice jtl!

Thanks so much for all your insight, DBA. I have been curious since booking last Feb. as to why #'s 6106, 6108, 6101 and 6103 are so much cheaper (about $400-500 PP) than the seemingly identical other bal. cabins. It looks like they are above the theatre and below the Off. qtrs., and wondered if we can look forward to be awakened by bingo at 7 am or wild officer sex parties:rolleyes: We'll be in 6108 Aug.28 and are really looking forward to our 1st HAL exper. steve

The various categories are typically just as you get closer to midship. There are also low categories (in the case of this class of ship "BC") that allow for rates that are possibly a bit more extraordinary but where you only have the option of a guarantee assignment.

I can't imagine any issues with those rooms re: noise from the show lounge unless perhaps you go to bed before the final show in the evening.

Hello Dutch!

According to HAL's website, the Oosterdam has a 12-day cruise beginning Sept. 4. Her next scheduled cruise, according to HAL, begins Sept. 23.

Do you know where she will be for the one-week between Sept. 16-23?

Thanks!

C.

If it doesn't show up in the cruise finder on the website, I would imagine a charter, but I'm not sure as I don't have access to those reports.

Do you have any tips on how to get Main(Late) dining?

My TA says I am wait listed and the cruise is 10 weeks away!

Well, the easiest way to ensure you get the specific dining time you want is to book early, but also if you are booked in a deluxe suite (Categories S, SA< SB or SC... also the Penthouse...PS) you would be auto-confirmed on request.

If you have the open dining you can request a later time each evening though.

I know we cannot take any food off the ship but what about on? We will be on the Oosterdam in October and have asked the driver meeting us at the airport if he can stop at the COOP market to purchase some wine and water for our cabin. Would it be permissible to also buy some cheese or other munchies for our cabin and take them onboard?

I know we cannot take any food off the ship but what about on? Would it be permissible to also buy some cheese or other munchies for our cabin and take them onboard?

You can, but isn't that the nautical equivalent of carrying coals to Newcastle? The ship has just about everything you could ever want in terms of food and snacks. Why not just order it?

Dutch by Association is a great source for detailed information. There is a cruise in November I would to go on for the pleasure of it AND to be able to attend the sessions by John Holland and Lisa Williams. The problem is that you are asked to book through a certain travel agency to participate and they have marked up the normal fare by $500 or so. My question is if you can "walk-up" to sessions on a cruise without having to commit to it in advance. I might be interested in just one session instead of all of them. I would expect to have to pay, but don't know if you even have that ability. Dutch?

Dutch by Association is a great source for detailed information. There is a cruise in November I would to go on for the pleasure of it AND to be able to attend the sessions by John Holland and Lisa Williams. The problem is that you are asked to book through a certain travel agency to participate and they have marked up the normal fare by $500 or so. My question is if you can "walk-up" to sessions on a cruise without having to commit to it in advance. I might be interested in just one session instead of all of them. I would expect to have to pay, but don't know if you even have that ability. Dutch?

If this is some sort of event that is being hosted by a group onboard, then unless that agency advertises it as such, I believe you would have to be through that agency.

As you mention that they are marking it up (likely to cover the expenses of these guests) why not call them up and say "For the extra $X vs. booking it regular, what do I get?" and if the answer is one you like (or even if it isn't) then there you have it

I know we cannot take any food off the ship but what about on? We will be on the Oosterdam in October and have asked the driver meeting us at the airport if he can stop at the COOP market to purchase some wine and water for our cabin. Would it be permissible to also buy some cheese or other munchies for our cabin and take them onboard?

I agree with Ruth's response... unless there is something you know 100% they won't be able to accommodate onboard, then I would save the luggage space. :)

Depending on what time you plan on getting there and what your travel plans are though, a small snack might be appropriate for that day.

I do understand Ruth's reply and, yes, it is like carrying coals to Newcastle but my husband and I enjoy wandering local markets and finding local food goodies. We love the food on HAL and there's always way too much for us to choose from. But a good local cheese or loaf of bread, some olives, etc. would be fun to try. Our daughter is also a "foodie". Last trip to the Med we brought home an "olive oil tour" for her. We bought her a small bottle of olive oil from each stop, again in local markets. She enjoyed that so much more than any souvenir we could have brought.

I do understand Ruth's reply and, yes, it is like carrying coals to Newcastle but my husband and I enjoy wandering local markets and finding local food goodies. We love the food on HAL and there's always way too much for us to choose from. But a good local cheese or loaf of bread, some olives, etc. would be fun to try. Our daughter is also a "foodie". Last trip to the Med we brought home an "olive oil tour" for her. We bought her a small bottle of olive oil from each stop, again in local markets. She enjoyed that so much more than any souvenir we could have brought.

Something like that ought to be fine... and I love olive oil in all its varieties... that's one lucky daughter you have! :D

Any idea who the Captain and Cruise Director will be on the Oosterdam' transatlantic crossing from Barcelona on October 17th.

Thanks, you have supplied some great information.

The lists I have access to don't usually go that far in advance. I might know closer to sailing, but I know Copper 10-8 usually has some good info with senior staff as well.

On the Oosterdam's deck plan, it appears that cabins VD4159 & VD4161 are connecting due to the opening in the wall between cabins, but there is no connecting symbol "+". I heard that there are no connecting verandah quads and I'm hoping that's incorrect. Do you know if they are connecting?

On the Oosterdam's deck plan, it appears that cabins VD4159 & VD4161 are connecting due to the opening in the wall between cabins, but there is no connecting symbol "+". I heard that there are no connecting verandah quads and I'm hoping that's incorrect. Do you know if they are connecting?

That's a good question that I don't have an answer to.

Contact Ship Services and ask if the Oosterdam Coordinator can contact the ship and have that verified and then follow-up with you.

Have you heard anything about the Carribean for next fall. Any new ports. With the Niew Amsterdam added. What ship will we lose. Would be nice to see a second ship out of Tampa

Can you confirm the hours for the casual dining area (Lido?) for breakfast?

I heard they close down at 9:30 (a bit early for me)

is this happening on all the HAL ships or just the Rotterdam?

thanks for any info.

Any idea who the Captain and Cruise Director will be on the Oosterdam' transatlantic crossing from Barcelona on October 17th.

Thanks, you have supplied some great information.

Capt, is scheduled to be Johannes Baaijens - remember, always subject to change!

CD is unk as of yet

Can you confirm the hours for the casual dining area (Lido?) for breakfast?

I heard they close down at 9:30 (a bit early for me)

is this happening on all the HAL ships or just the Rotterdam?

thanks for any info.

Usually 10:00 or sometimes 10:30

Capt, is scheduled to be Johannes Baaijens - remember, always subject to change!

CD is unk as of yet

Copper,

Do you have information about the crew for the 11/23 Zuiderdam sailing? Out of ignorance, how often do the crew change out? Do the captains usually command the same ship each time, or do they rotate among various ships?

Archived