A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Dutch, Thank you so much for all the info you provide. Maybe you can answer my question? I'm sailing on Sept., 6th 2009. The ship is sold out but my guarantee SS room # is still not posted on my online check-in. I was hoping that HAL would assign rooms sooner if the ship was sold out but so far nothing! I guess I'm just anxious.Any ideas when they assign rooms?

The official answer is anywhere from 0-7 days prior to sailing.

You'll have at least an SS... just sit back and know you have an awesome room regardless! :)

I don't always post on this thread buy I do read it. I want you to know that I think your are a good source of Pertinent and correct information. Thank you for taking the time to post on this sight. You have a way of confusing the rumor makers with facts and I think you make an outstanding conrtibution to this board. Keep up the good work.

Dutch,

Do you think that HAL might someday have an itinerary to Hawaii and back from the left coast using a Vista class ship?

We would be all over it if they did.

I don't think it can be done.

Vistas are notorious in the line as fuel hogs (one reason Noordam is no longer doing Caribbean cruises from NYC) and would require refueling in Hawaii to make the return trip. Of course all that fuel would have to be imported from the mainland, which is an extremely expensive added cost.

A Signature-Class would be able to do the trip because of the lack of Gas Turbine Engines, more economical diesels and greater fuel capacity....

...but I don't know that the ship, with it's 2200 Person capacity (vs 1400 persons for an R-Class) would sell profitably for such a series of cruises.

Cunard already have Queen Victoria scheduled for a couple Hawaii cruises (another Vista derivative) - Perhaps you should consider booking her?

I don't always post on this thread buy I do read it. I want you to know that I think your are a good source of Pertinent and correct information. Thank you for taking the time to post on this sight. You have a way of confusing the rumor makers with facts and I think you make an outstanding conrtibution to this board. Keep up the good work.

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks! :)

I don't think it can be done.

Vistas are notorious in the line as fuel hogs (one reason Noordam is no longer doing Caribbean cruises from NYC) and would require refueling in Hawaii to make the return trip. Of course all that fuel would have to be imported from the mainland, which is an extremely expensive added cost.

A bigger reason was the fact that you have several days at sea that can be very cold, rough, sometimes stormy, just to get down for a couple days into the Caribbean and then right back to winter.

By offering more out of Florida, the options are a LOT more diverse and while weather can never be guaranteed, there's less chance of cold, rough seas.

Dutch, I recently enjoyed a HAL 7-day Alaska cruise on Ryndam (generally it was very good), but it seemed to me that dining stewards were generally very impersonal, all-about work, never a smile, or nice words. We traveled with little kids, and therefore we thought our steward would be more inclined to be nice with them... not at all. We were in open seating and had 3 different waiters in our 7 nights, and none of them was nice. We've traveled before with RCCI and Princess, and I can tell you dining service in both companies was a lot nicer than HAL. Do you think this lack of personal, good-feeling service is the rule in HAL dining stewards?

Hi Dutch,

We leave this Sunday for our 20-day Med. cruise on the Noordam. Can't wait! This will be our 4th cruise with HAL and our first on a Vista ship.

In the past we were able to bring a bottle of Amaretto on some ships to enjoy on our balcony. Are we able to do that on the Noordam?

Thanks,

Linda

Dutch, I recently enjoyed a HAL 7-day Alaska cruise on Ryndam (generally it was very good), but it seemed to me that dining stewards were generally very impersonal, all-about work, never a smile, or nice words. We traveled with little kids, and therefore we thought our steward would be more inclined to be nice with them... not at all. We were in open seating and had 3 different waiters in our 7 nights, and none of them was nice. We've traveled before with RCCI and Princess, and I can tell you dining service in both companies was a lot nicer than HAL. Do you think this lack of personal, good-feeling service is the rule in HAL dining stewards?

I think that to prevent anyone thinking I'm giving a biased answer, it may be best for you to pose that question in its own thread, BUT... I can say this.

I have taken NUMEROUS cruises on HAL and do not announce to staff that I am an employee. I also, although we have perks available to us when booking, tend to book regular fare to guarantee I will get onboard. I have never had an issue with service from room stewards, dining stewards, anyone at the Front Office, or anywhere else onboard. I truly believe that you unfortunately experienced a "one off" but again, as others will likely say I'm giving a favorable answer for HAL because I am an employee, I would recommend you post this to the forum at large. Our service is one of the things we pride ourselves on and what you described, if it did indeed occur, is not standard.

Hi Dutch,

We leave this Sunday for our 20-day Med. cruise on the Noordam. Can't wait! This will be our 4th cruise with HAL and our first on a Vista ship.

In the past we were able to bring a bottle of Amaretto on some ships to enjoy on our balcony. Are we able to do that on the Noordam?

Thanks,

Linda

Liquor is not allowed onboard (wine and champagne are okay) but liquor, if brought from a port, will be safely stored until your disembark (so you can still feel free to buy those great deals you find in port!). Bottles ARE available through Ship Services and will be available in your room. With most liquor, the bottles are 1 liter size and prices are reasonable by Washington standards (our liquor stores are state run).

Call ship services and ask about pricing if interested.

Is it possible to make reservations prior to the cruise? My understanding is they book up fairly fast & I don't want to miss out on this dining experience! Also is the lunch menu the same as the dinner?

Are there any menus that can be viewed on-line?

You mentioned in a previous post to contact ship services for costs of liquor bottles to be purchased on-board.......can that be done prior to sailing to see if they have your fav. type of liquor on board?

Thanks Dutch for the information.

By the way, your advice last winter regarding a wheel-bound friend was so helpful that they took a chance and went on a HAL cruise to Alaska in June and had a great time! The only problem was that he could not get into the port on the one tender day, but with he had a wonderful day on board and he and his wife had the ship almost to themselves!

Linda

I've sail a lot over the years and mostly on HAL. Most of my cruise's were sold out at least 60 days out. Now I' am booked on the Veendam 10/10/09 and it's just shy of 50% full. Will there be more sales on this sailing. will they upgrade everyone and close the lower decks to save money.

[quote name='alohadad']... and close the lower decks to save money.[/quote]They won't sail with empty cabins if they can possibly help it! Every empty cabin causes lost money, since they still have to pay two of the primary costs (fuel and labor) to haul them around unused. Even if they have to cut to very low prices to fill them, they still have a chance to make something from onboard sales and excursions that an empty cabin wouldn't bring in.

[quote name='cocos']Dutch, I recently enjoyed a HAL 7-day Alaska cruise on Ryndam (generally it was very good), but it seemed to me that dining stewards were generally very impersonal, all-about work, never a smile, or nice words. We traveled with little kids, and therefore we thought our steward would be more inclined to be nice with them... not at all. We were in open seating and had 3 different waiters in our 7 nights, and none of them was nice. We've traveled before with RCCI and Princess, and I can tell you dining service in both companies was a lot nicer than HAL. Do you think this lack of personal, good-feeling service is the rule in HAL dining stewards?[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]We know that you addressed this to Dutch, but he is a HAL employee. We are not. We have sailed on only two HAL ships, four years apart, and we have always had the best service, dining room stewards, room stewards, etc. On other threads, we have noted that there appear to be more complaints about the DR stewards working the "as you wish" group than the fixed meal time group. It may be the tip situation. In fixed dining, either early or late, the stewards have a reasonable expectation of compensation for a job well done. In "as you wish" dining, the stewards can only rely on the tips provided from the on board accounts. In other words they get the same amount no matter how well or poorly they perform. Perhaps HAL should take a lesson from restaurants where the employees share tips and their performance is closely monitored by the managers. The poor performers are history and the good ones make out fine. Of course it would also help, if passengers were encouraged to tip at the end of the meal for very good service. Much as they would in a restaurant.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='fun_seeker'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3] On other threads, we have noted that there appear to be more complaints about the DR stewards working [B]the "as you wish" group[/B] than the fixed meal time group. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][B] In "as you wish" dining[/B], the stewards can only rely on the tips provided from the on board accounts. [/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=royalblue](bolding added). [/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]From your context, I take it you are referring to the open seating portion of the As You Wish dining choices. After all, there are several. Your point would not necessarily apply to the others.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=royalblue](bolding added). [/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]From your context, I take it you are referring to the open seating portion of the As You Wish dining choices. After all, there are several. Your point would not necessarily apply to the others.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Black"]Thank you for clarifying. We were referring to the open seating portion of the As You Wish dining choices.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='DutchByAssociation']Liquor is not allowed onboard (wine and champagne are okay) but liquor, if brought from a port, will be safely stored until your disembark (so you can still feel free to buy those great deals you find in port!). Bottles ARE available through Ship Services and will be available in your room. With most liquor, the bottles are 1 liter size and prices are reasonable by Washington standards (our liquor stores are state run).

Call ship services and ask about pricing if interested.[/quote]

Is it possible to make reservations @ the Pinnacle Grill prior to the cruise? My understanding is they book up fairly fast & I don't want to miss out on this dining experience! Also is the lunch menu the same as the dinner?

You mentioned in a previous post to contact ship services for costs of liquor bottles to be purchased on-board.......can that be done prior to sailing to see if they have your fav. type of liquor on board?

[quote name='mclaire']I just read that Eric has returned to Holland. We so enjoyed him on our last RC cruise. Any idea what his schedule with Holland will be? Thanks[/quote]

I assume this is an entertainer of some type?

Would recommend you ask our Entertainment division.
[email]hal_entertainment@hollandamerica.com[/email]

[quote name='lvs']Thanks Dutch for the information.

By the way, your advice last winter regarding a wheel-bound friend was so helpful that they took a chance and went on a HAL cruise to Alaska in June and had a great time! The only problem was that he could not get into the port on the one tender day, but with he had a wonderful day on board and he and his wife had the ship almost to themselves!

Linda[/quote]

Glad to be of help Linda, to both you and your friend!

[quote name='Cinndd']Is it possible to make reservations @ the Pinnacle Grill prior to the cruise? My understanding is they book up fairly fast & I don't want to miss out on this dining experience! Also is the lunch menu the same as the dinner?

You mentioned in a previous post to contact ship services for costs of liquor bottles to be purchased on-board.......can that be done prior to sailing to see if they have your fav. type of liquor on board?[/quote]

1) You can book the PG and REQUEST a date/time, but it is request only and I would recommend seeing the PG Manager within the first few hours of boarding to make sure that preferred date and time are no issue... and if they are, you can get the closest still available. Lunch is different than dinner. I believe ship services can email you copies of both menus.

2) See last sentence of #1 :)

3) Absolutely!

[quote name='DutchByAssociation']1) You can book the PG and REQUEST a date/time, but it is request only and I would recommend seeing the PG Manager within the first few hours of boarding to make sure that preferred date and time are no issue... and if they are, you can get the closest still available. Lunch is different than dinner. I believe ship services can email you copies of both menus.

2) See last sentence of #1 :)

3) Absolutely![/quote]

Thank You 1, 2 & 3...splendid :D

1. Now for a rather stupid question I suppose............ How does one contact Ship Services? Do you have an e-mail address, phone #?:confused:

2. There seems to be some discussion on arranging a meet & greet on our Roll Call .........who is the best person @ HAL to contact to arrange such an event?

Rgds

Archived