been to Cockelshell beach recently?

wlbox

My plans were to head to Cockelshell Beach. Lately reports say that snorkeling area is gone due to a new dock that was built. The hurricane harmed the beach sand, and now it is rocky.

Does anyone have a current report? Should we still go to Cockelshell?? We want a nice sandy beach that offers some good snorkeling.

please help me decide.

We were there in December, the beach was beautiful, soft sand and plenty of shells. There is a dock over the rocks, you can still snorkel around the pilings. I saw a lot of starfish in the seagrass and found a rock that had 30+ lobsters crawling over it.

There is a 300#+ pig named Wilbur that hangs out on the beach. They have a baby monkey and goat that they bring out for photos. Below are some pics from our visit.

100_1835.jpg.7bc1a0156d934f8168546171edcfbb62.jpg

100_1836.jpg.819b13fe3d3e0950478bbf7d0756f9fa.jpg

100_1845.jpg.0dab6c94a1007c418a10763b3216b46f.jpg

100_1847.jpg.7259058d23d6c2f915bd8f7fe9d37d28.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

we were there the week after the hurricane hit. there was a lot of damage. The water was a bit rocky as was the sand but it was still beautiful non the less. Loved Wilbur and the monkeys. Not too many pesty vendors either. The Carib beer was very good as well.

I was speaking to someone the other day that had just came back from a weeks vacation in St. Kitts. He loved Cockleshell beach and recommended it to our family. He said that the Reggae beach bar served good food and that the bathrooms were very clean. He said that the snorkeling was decent and the ride from the port was quite scenic. We were interested in a beach day in St. Kitts and he said that there were several nice beaches but if he only had one day he would make the trip to Cockleshell.

Karysa

I was speaking to someone the other day that had just came back from a weeks vacation in St. Kitts. He loved Cockleshell beach and recommended it to our family. He said that the Reggae beach bar served good food and that the bathrooms were very clean. He said that the snorkeling was decent and the ride from the port was quite scenic. We were interested in a beach day in St. Kitts and he said that there were several nice beaches but if he only had one day he would make the trip to Cockleshell.

Karysa

I would have to agree with all of the above. The food was a tad expensive for beach fare but very good. Loved the atmosphere too. The roads were well paved and the ride very scenic and safe. We toured the whole island and took a short hike in the rain forest and then spent the afternoon at Cockleshell; it's become one of my favorite places in the world since we met St Kitt's last year.

just grab a cab at the pier; there is a taxi stand a short distance up the road with the shops (they moved the taxi drivers away from the pier security entrance this year). prices are government controlled and they all have "menus" with prices on them; it was $15 each round trip in 2007 might be a tad higher now since they were waiting for a price increase approval by the government when we were there this past October. The ride is about 15-20 minutes and scenic.

How far to Cockelshell beach from cruise pier ?

I assume you take a taxi ?

Do you know how much for taxi ?

Thanks

It cost the two of us $26 to get to Cockleshell Beach and $12 back when we shared the cab with 5 other people. Drive took maybe 20-30 minutes.

We were very disappointed with the beach as it was difficult to get in the water and out of the water as there was a large dip as you got in. The sand seemed dirty and rocky . Not much of a beach there. We did a land and sea tour from Celebrity Solstice and it was not worth the $$$$. Sorry!

We were very disappointed with the beach as it was difficult to get in the water and out of the water as there was a large dip as you got in. The sand seemed dirty and rocky . Not much of a beach there. We did a land and sea tour from Celebrity Solstice and it was not worth the $$$$. Sorry!

To each his own opinion! We were there in late November and Cockleshell quickly became a favorite. Calm water for swimming and a great sweep of nearly undeveloped beach....if that's what you're looking for. Some folks prefer a lot of amenities.

Check out the photos in my signature.

To each his own opinion! We were there in late November and Cockleshell quickly became a favorite. Calm water for swimming and a great sweep of nearly undeveloped beach....if that's what you're looking for. Some folks prefer a lot of amenities.

Check out the photos in my signature.

I agree. We visited Cockleshell last week (see below) and we can't say enough great things about. From the water and long stretch of sand, to Wilbur and Lion Paw (loved her) and the other dog- can't remember his name, to the waitstaff, food etc. Our day here was perfect and can't wait to return!!

1615628127_St.Kitts-Cockelshell.jpg.4bbc94603d22ad2f1a2761c847794ef9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

All we need is a "good enough" bathroom, beach chairs, maybe an umbrellla, some snorkeling equipment to rent and a bar/ restaurant for lunch? Will we find all this at Cockleshell (and maybe men with swimsuits ON :eek: as we have teenage/tween daughters)??

Thanks

Amy

All we need is a "good enough" bathroom, beach chairs, maybe an umbrellla, some snorkeling equipment to rent and a bar/ restaurant for lunch? Will we find all this at Cockleshell (and maybe men with swimsuits ON :eek: as we have teenage/tween daughters)??

Thanks

Amy

Absolutely! Hope you enjoy as much as we did!!

We were there on 28 February 2009 via Thenford Grey Tours (Carnival Victory).

The beach is on the southeast portion of the island (very dry and desert like). There are lots of wild roaming goats and we saw a few of the green velvet monkeys. The beach was up against a rocky cliff on one side (left facing the water).

There was some interesting snorkelling (stay along the rocky cliff side). We saw tons of starfish and conch. There was also some interesting coral, sea grass and small schools of fish. I saw two squid that were swimming in formation (beautiful)! I also saw a long, skinny colorful (blues and greens) gar-like fish. There is a lot of snorkeling ground to cover along the cliff side, but we only went for about 45 minutes.

There was also a very large and busy beach bar area that seemed to sell some very good drinks and the food smelled and looked amazing! I really wanted to try some Roti and some conch, but our tour was leaving. There was plenty of beach to the right (facing the water) to escape the noisy beach bar area if you wanted something a bit more quiet.

I would have liked to spent more time snorkeling and had a chance to try the food (smelled great).

Thenford Grey is an outstanding tour guide and although the group size was larger (16+), it was probably the best tour I had all week. He is very knowledgeable, seems well educated and articulates himself very well. I cannot tell you how impressed I was with Thenford! He was well versed in colonial and natural history, botany, world politics and economics and just very well read and spoken.

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg

IMG_2693.jpg

IMG_2667.jpg

GrantH2O,

Great review. The rocky cliff side that you mentioned for snorkeling, is that in the first picture that you posted? Also, where specifically did you see the conch and starfish? Did you by any chance see any empyty conch shells or were they all "homes"? Thanks!

Yes the "rocky cliff" I spoke of is in the first picture (it seemed like more of a cliff from the water). It continues to bend around to the left, so there is quite of lot of snorkeling in that area.

The starfish and conch were all over that area; you won't have to look hard. I chose not to disturb the starfish or conch. I am not a marine biologist, so I can't comment on handling the wildlife or the conch, but I imagine the conch were inhabited at one point. In general I choose to only observe the wildlife and not interact. You could probably check out the conch though.

There weren't tons of fish, but you could find some schools of some brightly colored species in and around the coral. I saw a few larger individual fish as well (maybe a Chub and Parrotfish). The longer "gar-like" fish I described, I think, was a Trumpetfish. This was our first trip that we took snorkeling a little more seriously, but I need to get a "Fish of the Caribbean" species card or book so that I can ID fish better.

http://www.reef.org/resources/galleries/caribbean

I just took in the film from my underwater camera, so if any of the pictures turned out, I will scan them in and post (some water got into the case however, so they may have gotten ruined).

Archived