Confetti and Streamers at Sail Away

Chelly

I've had fun using (supposedly more ecologically correct) bubbles at sail away. You know, the little bottles with the wand inside? It's not streamers and confetti, but it's fun.

It's more fun the more people are using them, so I often bring along extra bottles and watch people's eyes light up when you give a bottle to someone you don't know. :)

What a great idea, seafun. I will add bubbles to my must pack list.

Someone said that rice or birdseed was apropos at Weddings. I lot of places will charge you extra if you do it. If it rains that becomes very slippery.

Now on to confetti. They don't do it anymore. I suppose it is the environmentalists who are responsible.

Just a quick (obvious) warning on the bubbles -- since they're liquid, I pack them in my suitcases, rather than carry on. Once you grab your bags at the destination airport, you can transfer them to your carry on.

And just to be on the safe side, pack the bottles in zip-lock bags. (Don't want the bubbles leaking on anything due to the plane's pressurization! :eek:)

Of course, the best idea -- if you have the luxury of time -- is to buy them at a local dime store, dollar store, or even a supermarket in your sailaway city. Who wants to lug them across the country and waste precious luggage poundage? :rolleyes:

August 30, 1927 the NYK liner SS Siberia Maru departs for Yokohama.

Passengers have tossed serpentine to family and friends on the pier.

They hang on to the strands as if to keep the ship from leaving, until the final one is broken.

http://www.americahurrah.com/Postcards/WF6.html

From my SF Waterfront postcard set.

Bill

I remember throwing streamers back on my first cruise on a Carnival ship. That was in the late 1980s. By the time I took my second cruise, on a Norwegian ship in 1989, they no longer gave out streamers to throw.

On our Grand Princess cruise in 2003, there were lots of streamers thrown during the Island Night celebration. Like the photo posted above, there were cords strung above to help catch them. But lots of them also ended up in the water. I'm thinking Princess must buy ones that are quickly biodegradable and thus ecologically ok. We were at sea that night, probably 50 or more miles from shore.

August 30, 1927 the NYK liner SS Siberia Maru departs for Yokohama.

Passengers have tossed serpentine to family and friends on the pier.

They hang on to the strands as if to keep the ship from leaving, until the final one is broken.

http://www.americahurrah.com/Postcards/WF6.html

From my SF Waterfront postcard set.

Bill

Bill, love the photo! Certainly another era--but what a glorious site.

Do you all remember when we threw coins overboard and children dove for them in island ports?

Bill, love the photo! Certainly another era--but what a glorious site.

Do you all remember when we threw coins overboard and children dove for them in island ports?

Marti, I remember this very well. We used to throw coins to the kids in the Caribbean ports, Hawaiian ports and in Mexican ports. That was a least 25 years ago.:):)

Archived