Internet speed on Ruby

Ukap

I have read all the reviews that internet is slow on cruise ships. How was the speed on the Ruby?

We shall be traveling transatlantic & will rely upon internet to check home.

Will a Transatlantic sailing have an even slower speed?

I am bringing my laptop & plan to use wifi

I have read all the reviews that internet is slow on cruise ships. How was the speed on the Ruby?

The Ruby or any other ship will be using satellite communication, so at times it will be slow, and other times much slower. And there are even sometimes there is no connection at all. Very unpredictable.

Cruise ship Internet, regardless of the cruiseline, depends on a satellite connection. As the ship moves, it will go from one satellite to another and if you are at the fringe of reception, connection will be excrutiatingly slow or non-existant. No matter how strong the connection, it will be a lot slower than your cable/DSL connection; heck, it won't be in the ballpark.

For a faster connection, use an email service that has a minimum of graphics or has a basic text version; also, when using your own laptop, avoid sites that have a lot of graphics or send/receive graphics and files. Anytime you download or upload a graphic, whether it's from your email or a website, it takes up bandwidth which slows not just you but everyone else accessing the Internet at the same time.

Another suggestion is to use an email service that allows you to download your email, read and answer it offline, and then send replies when you re-sign on. You'll use a lot fewer minutes that way and be a lot less frustrated.

On the Ruby now and have done a couple of speed tests from my laptop in my cabin. So far it's been a lot better than I've seen on some of the other Princess ships so they seem to have upgraded their sat ISP provider service. Average so far:

Download speed average 400-500 kb/s

Upload speed average 120-160 kb/s

Have used over 4 hours of time so far and only had one dropped connection. :cool:

We were on the Ruby week of 11/22. For the most part internet was pretty good and I almost exclusively used wifi from my Emerald deck cabin. Never expect the speed you get at home; can't happen.

Archived