Importance of Travel Insurance

cmh

Not sure if all the facts have been covered here, like where did the $1k fee come from? Other than suites, you can cancel at a certain point and get your money back.

Also, not sure if all policies would cover if only one person lost their job. In fact some policies might not cover that at all.

As you can below, we have taken many cruises. We have not purchased insurance for any of them, so any last minute cancel would easily be paid for with the savings we have, especially $1,000 worth.

We do have a med-evac policy that is good for a year. Any other problems that come up are our problem, but none of them would "break the bank" as they say.

I am so sad that I had to cancel my 18 day South Amercian cruise in April. After making my final payment the end of January, I was told on February 2 that all office jobs at Macys in San Francisco were being moved to Cincinnati and New York, and we were all out of work in April. That is a total of 1600 jobs! I could not believe that after working there for 40 years, I was losing my job! I immediately called and cancelled my cruise, but the cancellation fee was $1000. Thank God I had purchased the travel insurance and being laid off was covered in the policy. I am hoping to book this cruise sometime in the future, but am thankful for the insurance.

Carolyn

Carolyn, I am sorry you have found yourself unemployed after so many years with the company. As we all know this is happening a lot. I do not think it is only the economy, I think our way of shopping has changed in the past 10 years, fewer and fewer are depending malls and dept stores for their shopping needs. thank goodness you did have insurance, I cringe when I hear people say, oh I don't need to waste my money..

Nita

Just wanted to post my example- sorry to those ill/lost jobs and hope everything works out for the best.

In 2007, (the post from my husband NoleShaun is still somewhere on the roll call board for that cruise that we would not be going) we drove to Miami with some friends and spent the night there for the cruise the next am. My father passed at midnight that night- so we dropped our friends at the port, drove back to the hotel and instead of going on vacation, made arrangements to attend a funeral. The one thing we did not have to worry about was cancelling the trip, as we had the insurance (thru our travel agent) which covered everything, and we had the check within about 2 weeks. It was horrible, but not to have to worry about the lost money was super and took away some of the pain at dropping friends off in front of OUR ship and having to drive away...we will NEVER travel without insurance after that, and the strange thing was we had never purchased it previously, so someone was looking out for us.

We are now making up for that lost cruise by booking extras whenever possible, and will finally get to see the Jewel in about two weeks!! :D

I always .. research thru www.cruiseinsurancestore.com as well..:p Both sites are very helpful, and you can pick the coverages that you feel are best for your situation..!!:D You can also call them, and they are more than happy to 'guide you' thru the process...;) Good luck...

Hi stlrboo,

Didn't you mean www.TripInsuranceStore.com ? Those pesky TradeMark violations get old :(

Good for you, Carolyn. Sorry about your no-job situation, but having the insurance got you at least your money back. Our next cruise is insured with AIG and we are sitting here with bated breath, wondering whether they'll still be in business next spring. We'll not travel without med-evac insurance.

Hi Ask4Jay,

I don't think you have to worry about Travel Guard being in business next spring because insurance companies have to keep their subsidiaries' reserves separate from their own accounts.

However, I suggest you find out which Travel Guard policy you have because not all of them cover a layoff.

Not sure if all the facts have been covered here, like where did the $1k fee come from? Other than suites, you can cancel at a certain point and get your money back.

Also, not sure if all policies would cover if only one person lost their job. In fact some policies might not cover that at all.

As you can below, we have taken many cruises. We have not purchased insurance for any of them, so any last minute cancel would easily be paid for with the savings we have, especially $1,000 worth.

We do have a med-evac policy that is good for a year. Any other problems that come up are our problem, but none of them would "break the bank" as they say.

GaryCarla.. this is exactly how we plan our travel. We have never bought travel insurance that covers the cost of the vacation. I hate to say it, but while $2,000.00 or $3000.00 would be a hard lump for anyone to swallow as a loss, considering we are gamblers, it is usually the smallest cost of a vacation for us. So we decided years ago that we would not get travel insurance and take our chances and that eventually we would break even if worse comes to worse. We do always get the travel medical insurance even though both of our own medical insurance companies cover emergency care for us anywhere in the world and even includes medical evac. We still get the travel medical because the company we like to go with says right on the policy that if our primary insurance covers the cost of care for us, that the travel medical policy will be used as secondary insurance and will pay for what our primary does not, like deductiables, etc etc. Well worth the $40.00 or $50.00 we pay for that policy.

I am not recommending that people not get travel insurance, and in fact, there is always a possibility we might start getting it at some point in the future. I'm just saying we have not gotten it up to this point.

Archived