I might be able to get to Haines

CowPrincess

The last time I checked, the fast ferry return time to Skagway was a bit late for my comfort (7 pm). I just checked again, and there's a ferry leaving Skagway at 8 am, and one returning from Haines at 1 pm. I'd be comfortable getting back to Skagway around 2 pm (our ship sails at 9 pm).

So my question, what would you recommend for a few hours in Haines? Would I have enough time (about 4 hours) to get a feel for the town? Would I be able to get around the downtown, AND have time for a meal and a coffee and maybe some conversation with locals?

Or is 4 hours just FAR too little time? Should I just forget about seeing Haines?

Any advice and/or input would be greatly appreciated!

Haines is in one of the most beautiful settings in the world. You would have to do a bit of walking, but you can visit the old fort, watch wood carvers, go to the musuem, and walk around on main street. There are a couple of places for lunch/coffee.

I assume you're talking about the foot fast ferry and not the Alaska Marine Highway ferry, as their terminal is several miles out of town.

I think that's enough time to get a flavor of Haines. It's not one of those places you feel pressure to 'do' something. Compare the busy streets of Skagway to Haines. And the ferry ride will be great. It can be a bit rough, if you're prone to motion sickness.

I second the Bamboo Room! A wonder greasy spoon/diner. (I'd say the defibrillator by the door speaks for itself!) The deep fried halibut is great, if a bit expensive (compared to Juneau's greasy spoon.) I recommend going into the bar and looking at the great photographs of a by-gone era. I suggest reading the history on either the website or the menu. These are definitely tamer days!

Cowprincess, we are doing the same thing as you. I called the haines Fast Ferry and we are on the 10:30a.m. ride and getting back on the 3:30p.m. ferry. It shows on the web site as leaving Skagway at 10a.m. but she says for May of which are going on it is 10:30a.m. She also said that if we wanted to come back earlier just go to the dock and get on the 1p.m. back to Skagway. We already have our reservations, because the cruiselines also use the fast ferry for the shore excursions for Haines so I wanted to get over there and not have to wait.

Marilyn

Okay, I'm going for it :) I don't find Skagway very charming, only had a short walk/hike planned, so will try for the fast ferry.

Tee Harbor or Yukon, does the Bamboo Room use real or packaged Hollandaise Sauce on its Eggs Benedict? (I'm such a princess about my food!)

Mii, I'll be there on a Monday (way less service on Sun and Mon), so 8 am is the only ferry that is really an option for me... I'm not comfortable waiting till the noon ferry and coming back on the 7 pm ferry. Thanks for the reminder to make reservations!

Is it possible to take the ferry and see the wildlife center in Haines or is that too much of a stretch?

I've been doing some research :) The wildlife center is 28 miles out of town, according to its web page. According the HAINES web page, http://haines.ak.us/index.php there are taxis, and car rentals. The wildlife center has some contact info:

http://www.kroschelfilms.com/

Well, I'm getting more excited about the upcoming trip now -- have done this itin a number of times, so am pleased I'll likely get to see someplace new!

I've been doing some research :) The wildlife center is 28 miles out of town, according to its web page. According the HAINES web page, http://haines.ak.us/index.php there are taxis, and car rentals. The wildlife center has some contact info:

http://www.kroschelfilms.com/

Well, I'm getting more excited about the upcoming trip now -- have done this itin a number of times, so am pleased I'll likely get to see someplace new!

What would be the best way to do this I wonder? I wish there was a tour from Skagway going here.

What would be the best way to do this I wonder?

Figure out which day you are in port. Google "Haines fast ferry" and check the schedule for that day. See whether there are times that the ferry runs that work with getting TO and BACK FROM Haines based on when your ship is in Skagway. (last year we could have GONE to Haines one day, and gotten back the NEXT day)

Then if the timing works, contact the film company and see what they can offer for transportation, or suggestions for transportation, adn what time they run their tours. According to their website the tour is 1.5 hours. Plus transportation time.

Archived