ALASKA 2010 - Pearl, Star or Sun?

iphotograph

Hi everyone,

My husband and I, along with our little boy (who will turn 6 next year) are thinking of doing an Alaskan cruise next year and plan to take my husband's parents with us who are both in their 60's.

My questions are:

(1) Does NCL give discounts to seniors? If yes, how much is it?

(2) The government taxes seem pretty high (it's like approx $180 per person, even for a small child) - does this sound right?

(3) For those of you who love the aft-view staterooms, how do you grab a stateroom like that - pure luck or do you book it a year before you cruise?

(4) Of the three NCL ships (Pearl, Star, Sun) - which one would you highly recommend for first timers to Alaska? We're still waiting for our NCL brochure in the mail but I notice that NCL does not have any Round-trip Vancouver Alaskan cruise anymore?

(5) NCL Sun goes from Vancouver to Whittier. For those of you who have been to Whittier, how far is it from Anchorage airport? Is it too much of a hassle considering we have a small child?

(6) Last but not least, do you call and book directly through NCL or are there any travel agents you could recommend to us?

Thank you so much for any info you could provide us. :)

Hi everyone,

My husband and I, along with our little boy (who will turn 6 next year) are thinking of doing an Alaskan cruise next year and plan to take my husband's parents with us who are both in their 60's.

My questions are:

(2) The government taxes seem pretty high (it's like approx $180 per person, even for a small child) - does this sound right?

(3) For those of you who love the aft-view staterooms, how do you grab a stateroom like that - pure luck or do you book it a year before you cruise?

(4) Of the three NCL ships (Pearl, Star, Sun) - which one would you highly recommend for first timers to Alaska? We're still waiting for our NCL brochure in the mail but I notice that NCL does not have any Round-trip Vancouver Alaskan cruise anymore?

(5) NCL Sun goes from Vancouver to Whittier. For those of you who have been to Whittier, how far is it from Anchorage airport? Is it too much of a hassle considering we have a small child?

(6) Last but not least, do you call and book directly through NCL or are there any travel agents you could recommend to us?

I'll stick with the simple questions. We did the Pearl last May and loved it. It is the newest ship of the three. We did the round-trip Seattle. It worked best for us. We spent extra time in Seattle pre and post cruise and it was great.

You can book through NCL. Or, contact a travel agent. You can't give recommendations on CC, not allowed.

I will tell you Alaska is a "must do" cruise. It's awesome, awe-inspiring, majestic!

Hi everyone,

My questions are:

1 - I don't think there's any discount for Seniors. If there were, the majority of the passengers would be discounted. There are discounts for some union employees and also those with military service and also those who have cruised NCL before.

2 - Sorry, don't know about the taxes/fees. Just remember when you compare rates given by different places, some don't include them in their quotes.

3 - We normally book our Alaska cruises 8 to 10 months in advance to get the specific cabin we want. And since the coveted aft cabins are very limited, it's probably a good idea to book them as early as possible.

4 - For first-time cruisers to Alaska, I'd recommend the Pearl. The day spent cruising Glacier Bay is wonderful. Our first two cruises to Alaska were RT Seattle cruising Tracy Arm Fjord/Sawyer Glacier and the last 4 were RT Seattle with a day of cruising Glacier Bay. This May we've decided to return to the Star but if we can afford a cruise next year, I think we might like to try the Sun out of Vancouver with a few ports we haven't seen yet.

5 - Haven't been to Whittier and we're the age of your parents, so can't help you here.

6 - We usually get a few quotes from online agencies as a price comparison, but have ended up booking direct with NCL. We have a great PCC (Personal Cruise Consultant) with NCL and she really looks out for us. She has gotten us some great rates with great onboard credits.

Hope this helps you a little. My email address is in my review from last year if you have any other questions.

We chose the Pearl for our 2010 Alaskan cruise because we wanted to cruise Glacier Bay. We did an Alaska cruise on the Sun in 2006 and went to Tracy Arm (too early to get to the Sawyer Glacier). The Pearl is a beautiful ship and would be perfect for a first cruise. However, our first NCL cruise was on the Sun, and we loved it, as we did the Star. It really comes down to which itinerary suits you best.

No senior discount. We'd love one though.

We booked our aft minisuite the week the 2010 Alaska itineraries opened just to make sure we got one. I just now went through the booking process at ncl.com to find out if any aft minis are still available, and the one next to ours is.

We book through NCL.

Hope this helps a bit.

DH and I booked our May 2010 8-Day Alaska cruise on the Pearl. We chose the Pearl because we are bringing the kids and it appears that the Pearl offers more activities for them to do (i.e. bowling, rock climbing, etc).

In regards to your DS I would agree with noredeye for the Pearl in Alaska. If this was a warm water cruise then I would recommend the Star for the dedicated kid's pool and hot tub area on the aft.

We were on the Pride of Aloha (now Sky) which has an identical kid's club set-up as the Sun. The kid's club is in the extreme stern and appears to be an after thought of the ship design. The staff was great with the limited space and equipment. Though being this far forward on rough seas the kid's club had to retreat to a conference room, because many of the kids were getting very seasick (yes there was clean up needed). I have not been farther out in the Gulf of Alaska than Prince William Sound, but expect the seas could be rough. We do want to do a cruise between Whittier and Seattle, but unless NCL puts in a better ship we will have to look into Princess.

Another plus for the Pearl is cruising Glacier Bay. If this is potentially the only time you or your parents will cruise the Inside Passage of Alaska then Glacier Bay needs to be on your must do list.

It is at least an hour from Anchorage to Whittier and the one lane tunnel through the Chugach Mountains has set times for vehicles and trains to use the tunnel. These links explain how to use the tunnel and connect with a cruise:

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/creg/whittiertunnel/index.shtml

http://alaska.org/glaciers/advice-whittier-tunnel-tips.htm

I won't recommend a specific ship because to be honest, we like all three but the Star is our favorite. Excecpt for the kids club, I don't think it matters that much when going to Alaska. Alaska is so amazing the ship is really secondary to seeing Alaska. The recommendations I do have for you is to be sure and wisely pick the time of year you go, if it is an option for you to pick different times. I always recommend end of May through June because they have 12 hours or more of daylight. You just get to see more of the beauty that way. Also research the ports of call and that should help you decide which would be a great cruise for you.

I don't know if anyone answered the question for you about Whittier or not so I will try to but I am not 100% sure of my answer being totally correct. If someone comes along and says I am wrong, believe them as I am only going by what I have asked and read here on CC. I think Whittier is maybe a 1 hour train ride from Anchorage. I think there is a train going each direction every hour. I would have to say just from what I have read that it would be more of a hassel for anyone, not just folks with kids, than Seattle. Seattle is a breeze to get to and from the airport.

We are about to book our next Alaskan cruise and I have SOOOOO always wanted to go to Sitka that I think I'm going to bite the bullet and us go theSouthbound on the Sun. I say bite the bullet because the flight to Anchorage will be a bear for me. I am VERY VERY sure on that cruise we will go up at least one day before the cruise just to rest up from the flight overnight.

The Sun , AC suite aft . It was perfect :D

Do you have a favorite AC suite on the Sun? Do you have any pictures of an AC that you have posted? We're considering an AC on the Sun for next year and would love to see some photos. Thanks!:)

I can't answer any of the NCL related questions, but can answer the Alaska related ones.

If you look on the Alaska boards, they will tell you to choose your cruise based on the itinerary, not the ship.

We did a one way with Princess from Whittier to Vancouver because we wanted to do a land portion first. If you have enough vacation time, I highly recommend it. We traveled with my in-laws and our three boys 10, 7, and 2. Getting to the port in Whittier is more difficult than Seattle, but not really a big deal. We ended up renting a car from Avis at the Anchorage airport and returning it at the port.

We loved our day in Glacier Bay! It was spectacular and I would consider a must-do!

we got a fantastic deal with my military rate..so if your senior s

happen to have served in the military in the past, go for it..there

is no better rate..

we chose the Star..having sailed on her twice previously..we just

love her..aft cabin s previously and again in may..:D

I don't know if anyone answered the question for you about Whittier or not so I will try to but I am not 100% sure of my answer being totally correct. If someone comes along and says I am wrong, believe them as I am only going by what I have asked and read here on CC. I think Whittier is maybe a 1 hour train ride from Anchorage. I think there is a train going each direction every hour. .

QUOTE]

This is completely incorrect. It is 1 hour 15 min. PLUS tunnel time Whittier/Anchorage airport, by road. By train, of where there is only ONE per day at 6pm, from Whittier, is 2++ hours and goes downtown. Downtown/airport is about a $30 cab ride and allow 30 minutes.

The railroad and Seward Highway parallel each other.

In my opinion, there is little point in going one way to Anchorage/Whittier, without adding several days for interior Alaska touring, take advantage of being all the way there. Plenty to see and do.

I actually have taken all three ships to Alaska. By far, the Star has the superior deck viewing with the Pearl the crappiest. The Pearl has Glacier Bay, a BIG highlight. With Tracy Arm, I only recommend that it be budgeted in the costly add on NCL Tracy Arm jet boat tour, WAY WAY superior to anything seen via the ship.

Archived