Amalfi coast: Drive it or Boat it?

Hello,

I will be Sailing On the Brilliance of the Seas on June 2 and during our stop in Naples, we are consider 2 excusrsion: Amalfi Coast by Motor Launch & Pompeii - NP72 and Amalfi Drive & Pompeii - NP04.

If anyone has taken these particular excursions with RCCL or Celebrity (they seem to share excursions), I would appreciate hearing your impressions.

I would also like to hear impressions from people who might have visited the Amalfi coast by boat or coach as I'm trying to make up my mind as to which means of travel gives the best experience.

Thank you !

The drive along the Amalfi coast is not to be missed. In my opinion it's one of the most scenic drives in the world. I hired a driver and we made several stops along the way too. I assume your tour will also have a few stops.

We have done the coast by boat several times (taking boats from Positano to Capri) and also driven the Amalfi Drive several dozen times in our own rental cars. The coast is very picturesque when viewed from the sea, but driving along the road (arguably one of the most famous stretch of roads in the world) is a wonderful experience. For a first time visitor I would recommend the road.

Hank

Hello,

I will be Sailing On the Brilliance of the Seas on June 2 and during our stop in Naples, we are consider 2 excusrsion: Amalfi Coast by Motor Launch & Pompeii - NP72 and Amalfi Drive & Pompeii - NP04.

If anyone has taken these particular excursions with RCCL or Celebrity (they seem to share excursions), I would appreciate hearing your impressions.

I would also like to hear impressions from people who might have visited the Amalfi coast by boat or coach as I'm trying to make up my mind as to which means of travel gives the best experience.

Thank you !

Advantages of doing the boat: Avoid the narrow roads and likely hood of traffic backup. Get a unqiue prospective of the coastline and houses on steep hills.

Minus of the boat: Stopping at Ravello or any of the higher vantage points that offer a spectacular view of the coast line still requires a vehicle, not clear if that is part of your tour. I can't imagine missing the scenry we saw from Ravello.

Advantage of by Car: Get to make as many stops as you might want to see the spectacular scenery along the narrow winding cliffs

Minus of Car: Can be a traffic nightmare during high season. I'm very sketpical of how much you'd enjoy a tour bus as these roads are incredible narrow and it will be slow going. You are going early enough in the season that hopefully traffic won't be too bad.

We did a land excursion; Pompeii from 9-10:30 then drove the coast. Had lunch around 1:00pm in a little resturant high on the coast. Sandwiched around lunch we stopped in 3 towns for shopping and sightseeing before returning to the ship. If this was on a large tour bus I can't imagine how much less we'd have seen given the much larger group and slow going of the bus on the narrow roads.

This is one place I'd really recommend you secure a private tour and vehicle which is similar in price to the ship sponsored cruise. You'll see much more.

Good luck with your Planning, you'll love both Pompeii and Amalfi, they are truely special!

If you plan to do it yourself, I would not rent a car. Let an experienced local guide drive you so you can enjoy the scenery and not worry about the roads or missing a stop. And do not miss Pompeii. If you have not been there, it's well worth the time.

Any recommendations on private tours or car rental for the Amalfi coast?

Thanks again!

Chouka

We used Romeinlimo, the weren't the cheapest but we were very happy with their service here and also in Rome and Florence/Pisa. I have no regrets in going private here or in any of the other ports, and I would use them again if I am lucky enough to ever return to this wonderful area.

I would second the OP's comment. The drive and the small roads and traffic conditions are something I wouldn't recommend a foreigner attempt with a tight time schedule to get to and from port on their own

Good luck

Chouka: We used DriveAmalfi.com . What a wonderful driver! Our driver took us to many places only cars can go, many hidden photo spots and a fantastic out of the way lunch spot high up in the hills with an amazing view. Private drivers are the only way to go along the Amalfi Coast in my opinion. We went November 2007 and the fare was 65 Euros per person with 8 in the van.

I want to echo the other post recommending that you not rent your own car to drive the Amalfi Drive. We normally do rent a car here, but we have stayed on the Amalfi Coast for 2 weeks, are very comfortable driving in Italy, and know the area. Trying to navigate around the Sorrento area to get to the Amalfi Drive is a bit tricky for those who do not know the area. It is also a real challenge to find parking in or around Positano. My advice for those wanting to drive this road is take a tour, hire your own car with driver, or possibly take the SITA bus from Sorrento.

Hank

Hello,

Thank you !

I have done the Amalfi coast a few times but would love to see it by boat. Does anyone know of any private companies that run day tours sailing the coastline. We will be in Portofino in late August.

Thanks

Any recommendations on private tours or car rental for the Amalfi coast?

Thanks again!

Chouka

Oooh, I thought you would never ask!:) I have been on the Brilliance twice, and as much as I LOVE the ship (she is my favorite so far!) I detest ship tours. I have done both, so I know... This stop deserves a private tour more than most others. In my opinion, of course. Pompeii is not to be missed if this is your first time... we have used http://www.driverinitaly and also, http://www.romeinlimo Rome in limo . com is excellent. They both are actually. Our private tour got us to the gates of Pompeii about 10 minutes before opening. Us 6 were the first in the gate and every picture I have of Pompeii has NO one in them. Very cool. Also... the drive along the Amalfi Coast is gorgeous... and MUCH better in a smaller vehicle. Get another couple from your Roll Call and see this stop right. Not with 50 others crammed into a bus. This is my favorite stop in the Mediterranean. I think mainly because we travel as a small group to the sites we want to see. Sorrento is my favorite Italian village that I have been to. I love it.

I too would love to visit Pompeii then take a tour along Amalfi Drive. Sounds wonderful! We will be there on June 10, 2009 with NCL, but people are slow to join our roll call, so I've not been able to find anyone to share the expense. I can hardly wait to plan because I'm so excited. Come on people! :D

I have done the Amalfi coast a few times but would love to see it by boat. Does anyone know of any private companies that run day tours sailing the coastline. We will be in Portofino in late August.

Thanks

We know there are some companies that do private charters, but have not heard of a specific coastal tour. However, you can achieve much the same effect by using some of the regularly scheduled jetboats. They do run a few jet boats per day between Sorrento and Positano (some even go all the way to Amalfi) and this route would give you a great coastal route. The jetboats that between Capri and Positano also give passengers a great view of some of the best parts of the Amalfi Coast. The schedules of boats does vary throughout the year. If you are a flexibile adventuress traveler, you can just make it up as you go (we do this all the time). Get off the ship as soon as she is cleared in Naples and walk over to the ferry terminal (less than 10 min walk). Take a look at all the posted schedules and put together your own little journey. On our last visit we grabbed a jetboat over to Ischia on a moments notice and had a fun time (Ischia is not popular with many cruisers). Look for a boat that goes to either Positano or Amalfi and you would get a good coastal cruise for a fraction of the price of a tour. And an additional benefit is you get to visit one or both of those wonderful towns. You just need to check on your return options so as to not cut it too close and miss the ship.

Hank

First we have already been to Pompeii. If we take a ferry/jet boat from Naples to Positano what is the best way to get to Sorrento? Taxi? Bus? Then we would take the train or ferry back to Naples from Sorrento. Also, we are here on a Sunday.

Going between Sorrento and Positano does not leave many options. There is the local SITA bus which runs about every 45 min in high season (this can often be standing room only). Jetboats going from Naples to Positano would almost always stop in Sorrento (its on the route), but the boats between Positano and Sorrento are surprisingly limited...particularly in early afternoon.

Hank

Thanks, Hank, that was the best advice I received about doing the Amalfi by water. I have looked into private tours and they are outrageous....more for several hours on a boat than I paid for my nearly 2 week cruise....1700 euro ...yikes!!

G

Archived