Over-booked cruises???

Littlegoo75

Does anyone happen to know what happens when a ship has over-booked for a particular cruise? I have heard about what happened out of Baltimore and how some people couldn't go on their cruise. How does Carnival decide who gets to go and who doesn't? Do they kick off the Guarantee's first since they don't have a cabin number assigned? Do they go with the people who booked last? Has this happened to anyone on these boards? I would think they would give you a decent compensation for having ruined your vacation plans. I know that I would be devestated if it happened to me, and I don't know if I would want to sail on the same cruise line that did it to me.

It's VERY rare that this happens... but I believe what they did in Baltimore was deny boarding to those that lived the closest... but like I said, this is rarely an issue... lots of ships are overbooked, but they know they will have cancellations, so it all works out...

I dont think you have to worry or be concerned. I have only read that this happened for Baltimore cruises. New Port- new ship- they overbooked with hopes that people would cancel before final payment and they didnt. The people who got bumped were locals who did not lose airfare or travel expenses for their travel. They were compensated with an 8 day cruise out o New york. or a refund.

Well, I'll just have to make sure that I don't sail out of Baltimore since I am in the D.C. area!

How sad for those people that had to be turned away. I read about that, and if I were in their shoes, I would have been so devestated. The reason I was worried is because I am booked on the Valor and have a guaranteed cabin! New ship and from what I've heard, almost sold out.

We are also booked on the Liberty out of Italy which I head has been oversold, but we have an assigned balcony. What would they do if they had to strand people in Italy without a cruise?!

It happened on my July cruise on the Imagination 4 day cruise out of Miami. They called me 2 days before the cruise. The ship was overbooked so they called me since I live here in Miami 30 minutes from port. They offered me a 5 day cruise instead leaving the following week for the same price, but my mother couldn't change her vacation days.

That stinks. So what happened, did you still get to cruise? Do they call people and give them a better offer until they bump enough people off, kind of like the airlines do?

I couldn't imagine having to go through that, especially for a 7 night cruise.

Does anyone happen to know what happens when a ship has over-booked for a particular cruise? I have heard about what happened out of Baltimore and how some people couldn't go on their cruise. How does Carnival decide who gets to go and who doesn't? Do they kick off the Guarantee's first since they don't have a cabin number assigned? Do they go with the people who booked last? Has this happened to anyone on these boards? I would think they would give you a decent compensation for having ruined your vacation plans. I know that I would be devestated if it happened to me, and I don't know if I would want to sail on the same cruise line that did it to me.

I saw it happen this past August on the Destiny. Overbooked by 8 cabins and one family was standing there with luggage and tickets (GTEE) and no cabin.They were going to be flown to the first port to see if any cabins opened up.

Steve

flown to the first port to see if any cabins opened up.

Steve

Because?

Notify us before arrival at the first port of call and you may debark at your ship's first non-U.S. port of call.

from

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/static_templates/vacation-guarantee.aspx

Anyone know of anyone who took them up on their guarantee?

I would be very miffed about being bumped because of overbooking. I can only take a vacation in January, and I notified my boss once I had confirmation in hand that I was taking a vacation back in mid-May. (Do you think six months advance notice is enough for schduling purposes? ;) ) This isn't like an airline where you can take a flight several hours later.

Because?

Notify us before arrival at the first port of call and you may debark at your ship's first non-U.S. port of call.

from

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/static_templates/vacation-guarantee.aspx

Anyone know of anyone who took them up on their guarantee?

Yes, on our November of '98 cruise the weather was horrible. Found out we had been trailing a tropical storm. At the first port of call, one of the ST. in East Carrib. Several of the passenger got off and were flown home. Sad thing was it was smooth sailing from that port on:(

I still think they should have offered you a 7 night cruise for erroneously overbooking your cruise.

If they called me to ask if I would be willing to be bumped from my Valor cruise, I would want to sail on another new ship and at least have a few hundred dollars in ship board credit as well as a cabin upgrade.

If they offered to fly me to the first port of call to see if anything opened up, I would say no way Jose! Part of the excitement is boarding the ship and being there for the first night. Except for the muster drill. ( Boring!)

My point is, if they mess up and sell too many cabins, shame on them, they need to offer people something that they can't refuse.

My point is, if they mess up and sell too many cabins, shame on them, they need to offer people something that they can't refuse.

They need to be accountable like the airlines are. They overbook they start offerning more and more until someone takes it.

We need a passenger bill of rights!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Friday before the day of the cruise, Carnival calls to tell me I got downgraded by 2 and put in a room with the 2 bunks on the wall and at the back of the ship

(I was in the aft in a room I specifically picked out when I booked back in July during their 1 day only sale) not to mention there were 2 rooms on the whole ship that were slightly smaller than the others and this was one of them. Oh but the "good thing" was they were giving me and my friend a $105.00 shipboard credit each. :) BIG DEAL. I was so upset I talked to the supervisor and asked them why we were moved when I had booked so long ago and they gave me the run around until they finally gave me my room back. I was so ticked off--I seriously may not cruise with them again.

Thanks Derf! That was really neat. Brings back memories. That ship looks really ancient compared to these new modern mega liners!

Steveaaa, I agree. Cruiselines need to realize that there are people that dream and dream about their upcoming cruises, and if they are going to mess up and overbook, then they need to really compensate people for that.

IF they were to call me and tell me that they were going to make my husband and I stay in bunkbeds and only give us $105 credit, oooh.......I would be SO mad, and would probably start sailing with another cruise line after that!

Friday before the day of the cruise, Carnival calls to tell me I got downgraded by 2 and put in a room with the 2 bunks on the wall and at the back of the ship

(I was in the aft in a room I specifically picked out when I booked back in July during their 1 day only sale) not to mention there were 2 rooms on the whole ship that were slightly smaller than the others and this was one of them. Oh but the "good thing" was they were giving me and my friend a $105.00 shipboard credit each. :) BIG DEAL. I was so upset I talked to the supervisor and asked them why we were moved when I had booked so long ago and they gave me the run around until they finally gave me my room back. I was so ticked off--I seriously may not cruise with them again.

wow--downgraded?? Im glad they gave you back your cabin but would love to find out how they downgrade a person especially if they booked a set cabin long ago.

Is there a way to find out how many rooms have been booked on a particular cruise?

Not really. The cruiselines don't want to give out that information. I you go to a place like Yahoo Cruise Travel and see how many cabins you can choose. If it is sold out it may not even be listed.

Archived