Is there still a Chocolate Extravaganza?

dustymax

Hi All:

We have a 14-day cruise coming up on Maasdam. For the last seven years, everytime we sail I keep hearing that the traditional Midnight Chocolate Extravaganza is gone, is going, etc. Instead, on the last three cruises at least it is there in a modified form.

So, is it gone the way of the Dodo Bird? Or has it "evolved" yet again?

I for one will miss it if it is gone.

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

Kevin

We had the Chocolate Dessert Extravaganza on the Eurodam last Wednesday (midnight to 1 am).

Than again, ours was a charter and there were dance parties at night that lasted till 2:30 am on the aft Lido deck, so at midnight it is a mid party snack. ;)

On our recent Zuiderdam cruise we had the "Lido Pool Party" one night at 9 pm which had lots & lots of desserts and another night we had the "Dessert Extravaganza" at 10:30 pm.

I was on 2 10 day b2b on Noordam in Jan and we had both of those somewhere in there and they were very nice.

We had the Chocolate Dessert Extravaganza on the Eurodam last Wednesday (midnight to 1 am).

Than again, ours was a charter and there were dance parties at night that lasted till 2:30 am on the aft Lido deck, so at midnight it is a mid party snack. ;)

I am guessing that the only reason you had it was because it was a charter and that the Gorup that set up your charter requested it :)

As for an actual Chocolate Dessert Extravganza it has been a few years since I have seen one. A few years ago they changed it to a Dessert Extravaganza (dropping the Chocolate part) then this past Fall they dropped the Dessert part all together and made the "Lido Pool Party" pretty close to the same thing but with different food offerings as well.

We just returned from 2 weeks on the Maasdam and there was indeed a Chocolate Extravaganza. Not at midnight but from 10:30-12. We didn't go but had friends who did.

Yes, the Maasdam did have the Chocolate Extravaganza on our cruise in January. It was amazing - began at 10:00 p.m. My DH and I went and took pictures. It was set up this time in the Lido dining area on both sides and it was roped off in such a way that there were no tie-ups of people and you could move easily along to look and take pics. Then after about a half an hour, we could indulge in eating it. The desserts are works of art and beautifully displayed with ice sculptors that have changing coloured lights shining up through. Very lovely. There were also two chocolate fountains for fresh fruit - one dark choc. and one white choc.

Interesting replies about this dessert thing. When we were on the MS Veendam last fall in Alaska it was called the "Dessert Extravaganza" by the signs around the pool. I looked up the announcement tonight in the dailies from the cruise and it was called the "Dutch Chocolate Dessert Extravaganza". Each ship and crew seem to call it something different. Just some thoughts the way I saw it. Colakid.

I don't care what they call it or if it starts at 9 or 10:30 or midnight, as long as there's an evening that they have all sorts of desserts to enjoy.

Last year on the Oosterdam I can't remember what it was called, but it was wonderful. All sorts of little goodies, cream puff swans, little cakes, fresh fruit and chocolate fountains. It was well attended and enjoyed by all.

I am guessing that the only reason you had it was because it was a charter and that the Gorup that set up your charter requested it :)

As for an actual Chocolate Dessert Extravganza it has been a few years since I have seen one. A few years ago they changed it to a Dessert Extravaganza (dropping the Chocolate part) then this past Fall they dropped the Dessert part all together and made the "Lido Pool Party" pretty close to the same thing but with different food offerings as well.

That's quite possible. Our parties lasted into the early morning so it worked as a midnight snack!

It is usually set up around the Lido Pool. I did not make it to this year's extravaganza but others did.

Archived