Is merchandise in Coach outlet stores made just for them?

mafig

I was reading a thread on the Carnival board where they were discussing "knock offs."

Now, I would not buy a knockoff. However, in browsing through the thread a point was made that I had never heard before.

Are the purses/wallets in Coach factory stores made just for the factory store? Or are they discontinued styles from department stores?

I'm asking about Coach but the question could also be raised for any factory outlet store, I guess.

I remember reading here that the Dooney and Bourke purses sold on QVC were not the same that were sold in department stores.

Anyone know the real scoop?

Good question.

I know there are brands that make things especially for the outlet store, Eddie Bauer, Brooks Brothers, Ann Taylor are a few off the top of my head I can think of right now.

Where's Jane110? If ANYONE will know the scoop, she will.:)

I wasn't suggesting they weren't real. However, a few had posted that some of the merchandise in the factory stores were manufactured solely for sale in the factory stores....using lesser leather. It was stated that these items were even made in the same factory(s) as the higher priced items that would go to Coach stores.

Good question.

I know there are brands that make things especially for the outlet store, Eddie Bauer, Brooks Brothers, Ann Taylor are a few off the top of my head I can think of right now.

Where's Jane110? If ANYONE will know the scoop, she will.:)

Here I yam! :)

Actually, I'm not quite sure of the answer on this one, only because I haven't asked them in a while. A few years ago the answer would have been that at the Coach outlet stores nothing was made especially for the outlet stores and everything there was either irregulars (clearly marked) and things that weren't sold in their regular stores.

Things may or may have not changed in a few years. One way of knowing is by looking at how many outlet stores there actually are. If there's only a few, then the policy is likely still intact. However, if there are many outlet stores, then there just isn't enough irregular merch, or unsold merch. to keep those stores in business, and so "special cuts" have to be created.

Ralph Lauren Polo is a perfect example. The outlet stores sell inferior merchandise, and in my personal opinion, cheapens the label (but that's another story). The fact is, cheaper quality products are made for the outlet stores. But think about it - why would they produce first rate products to sell at deep discounted prices?

But if Coach still only has a few outlet stores, then I'm sure it's not specially made for them.

Most outlet stores DO have "special" outlet stuff made for them, but it's still nice stuff! Just because they aren't in the "real" stores doesn't make them less "Coach"!

Au contraire!

Things made especially for the outlet stores might be "nice stuff" in your opinion, but it's not the same level of quality as the first rate stuff sold in their boutiques and in dept stores.

Often it's last year's best selling style made in a less expensive fabric for the outlet store. Nothing wrong with buying it if you like it, but don't be fooled into thinking it's the same as the original. It's not.

From my observation at regular Coach stores versus Coach outlet stores, the merchandise at the outlet stores is things that weren't sold at their regular stores or were irregulars, not made for the outlet items. I say this having examined things like their sling bags in both the regular stores and the outlet stores - quality still appears to be the same, etc.

I asked this question about a year ago at one of the outlets. I was told that most of their stuff is last year/last season's and they also do make things specifically for the outlets. I have seen purses I bought at the outlet at the Coach store. I stick with the leather - I am not a big fan of all those "C's" and you see every young girl around here with them. I do think their quality has gone down over the years, so I really have to love the purse to buy it.

Of course I always get "Do you need another purse?" :D

That is a terrific question! Come to think of it now with all the stock I saw being moved out of the Coach Outlet store in Palm Springs and the shelves quickly being restocked with purses from the back it makes sense a lot of these bags may be made specifically for outlet sales. Outlet made or not I have found some lovely bags with lovely prices!

Au contraire!

Things made especially for the outlet stores might be "nice stuff" in your opinion, but it's not the same level of quality as the first rate stuff sold in their boutiques and in dept stores.

Often it's last year's best selling style made in a less expensive fabric for the outlet store. Nothing wrong with buying it if you like it, but don't be fooled into thinking it's the same as the original. It's not.

Have to disagree - bought a purse at the Coach outlet in Florida and when I got back home took it to the Coach store in our mall to find a matching wallet, the same purse was there but in more colors. They know me as I go and browse quiet often. They asked when I had bought it. I said when and where. Same purse, same quality, no difference. As I said, I have 6 and #7 is being ordered for me in a color they were out of.

I was recently in the Coach outlet/factory store nearest my home. One of the sales reps told me if it comes with a dust bag it's extra stock from the "regular" store. If it doesn't come with a dust bag, chances are it's been produced specifically for the outlet.

Either way - it's good quality - still authentic Coach - and still great.

I will share another suggestion - if you tend to buy a lot (as I do) have them ship your bags directly to your house - it's a flat fee - $10 and saves having to find space for them in your suitcase. We usually go the first day we are in San Juan and have the store ship them at the end of the week so they don't arrive while we're on vacation.

I know D&B has alot of irregulars sold in there outlets. Coach is normally last seasons stock. I have a Coach infatuation, I was just there today grabbing a small bag for our wedding cruise! I love excuses to go to Coach!

Just fouind this article that will answer a number of questions.

http://handbags.lovetoknow.com/Coach_Outlet

I just took a quick look at this article and found something interesting... It states "Coach products sold in fine department stores are also prohibited regarding discounts." However, lately I've seen Coach items on clearance at Macy's. In fact, I got two pairs of Coach slip-on sneakers for $40 each last month! :cool: I also saw a clearance purse on a different trip I really wanted but sadly had to pass by... :( Overall, I was surprised to see these deals as I thought they were not allowed to discount, but perhaps due to the economy that is falling by the wayside??

I just took a quick look at this article and found something interesting... It states "Coach products sold in fine department stores are also prohibited regarding discounts." However, lately I've seen Coach items on clearance at Macy's. In fact, I got two pairs of Coach slip-on sneakers for $40 each last month! :cool: I also saw a clearance purse on a different trip I really wanted but sadly had to pass by... :( Overall, I was surprised to see these deals as I thought they were not allowed to discount, but perhaps due to the economy that is falling by the wayside??

I think what was meant was that discounts (like those "15% off almost everything" coupons that Macy's sends out all the time) are not allowed on Coach. You will always see Coach listed -- along with most other premium brands -- on the "exclusions".

Thanks for posting.

I'm not a fan of Coach products, therefore have not followed them, and the people I know who used to work there no longer do.

They used to have about 4 factory outlet stores, and now according to this story they have 85. That alone tells us that they have to make stuff especially for their outlet stores. It's not the same quality as the dept store products unless it's from previous season, or a rejected order from a major retailer, or a special cut of fabric or color.

Thanks for posting.

I'm not a fan of Coach products, therefore have not followed them, and the people I know who used to work there no longer do.

Nah...I'm not into Coach either but I do like a couple of Dooney and Bourke bags that I have for knock around...they're kind of fun.:D

OT, I posted before about these but I think it was when you were away. TJMaxx had some Anne Klein ankle boots, low heel in sort of a snakie leather, they were NOT the AK cheaper ones. They were beautiful...all lined with leather, leather soles and made in Brazil. They've been marking them down and last markdown price was $30. I squeezed into a half size too small and other than that, they didn't feel good, leather seemed to cut into my ankle, Maybe they would soften up but my suede AK el cheapo ones have been the best...wear them ALL the time and they're very comfy. Would love them in brown.

Yes it's authentic, mostly the same stuff you'd get at the main stores, just a month or two later. The last few months the sales at the outlets have been incredible, huge markdowns plus extra 50% off all clearance. I bought a lot of things for myself and friends, and some extras that I sell on ebay. However, last week I got a letter from Coach saying I'm 'not authorized' to buy from them anymore, since I bought too many things! I was so surprised, I didn't think that was legal, but apparently Coach does it quite often if they suspect you may be a reseller.

The Coach Discount Policy

250px-Mini_coach_signature.jpg Mini Coach Signature Hobo Handbag

An investigation of the Coach Company seemed to indicate that Coach actually receives most of its consumer revenue through its factory outlet stores. The company offers more than 85 outlets, usually located within an hour's drive from the 200-plus retail stores. Fans of Coach are plentiful, but fans of discounts are even more abundant.

Why are the outlet stores so popular? Coach does not permit its retail stores and online products to be discounted. Moreover, Coach products sold in fine department stores are also prohibited regarding discounts. This leaves bargain hunters with the sole option of driving 60 miles or more to the nearest factory outlet.

The items sold in Coach outlets are not usually of the same caliber as those provided in the upscale retail stores. Coach intentionally manufactures products specifically for its outlets, leaving the latest trends and shiny styles for the retail locations. This clever marketing ploy allows trend-conscious Coach fans to maintain their elitism, whereas bargain shoppers seeking quality goods can purchase the name without acquiring the hippest fashions. It may seem prejudiced, but this sales scheme is what maintains the exclusivity of retail Coach, keeping the company from falling to the common status of a household brand.

If you are looking for the items offered in Coach catalogues, you must head directly to your nearest Coach retailer. Otherwise, a signature Coach hobo can be purchased affordably from a Coach outlet.

[edit]

Thanks for the link - as the article clearly states (as Jane said) the merchadise is not the same.

It may seem prejudiced, but this sales scheme is what maintains the exclusivity of retail Coach, keeping the company from falling to the common status of a household brand.

I thought this part of the article was interesting.

Ha...yes, it keeps the RETAIL Coach exclusive but I'm not sure it keeps the name from becoming a household name. When they're offering a product that is "less", quality design or whatever, more people can affored to carry the name. Most would not know if it's the retail or the discounted Coach and then add to that the knockoffs (that's ANOTHER story), we're seeing Coach everywhere;)

The Coach outlets do have mostly outlet-only stuff in the front, but in the back, they have a clearance section. It used to be things from about a year ago, but since last Summer, they have been putting lots of stuff in the clearance section that's from the most recent season. For example, this fall there was a Legacy Garcia collection in the retail stores, and after Thanksgiving, they sent all of it to the outlets, where it was deeply discounted, and some pieces of that collection still show up at the outlets now.

I too do not know about Coach but I can tell you after working many years in the corporate offices for an outlet chain...

Originally all of the merchandise put into the outlet stores was seconds, a way for the mfg to move less than perfect goods. After when the outlet malls began to gain momentum it all shifted and the merchanidse put into the stores was first quality, no different than what would be sold to the major department stores. Factory outlet stores no longer means less that perfect quality merchandise. Sure, seconds will be put into outlet stores that are not considered a preimum outlet, but clearly marked and the exception rather than the rule.

Archived