Photos on formal night if not formal?

maygoddess

I have a question. I have only done one cruise in my life so I don't have much to go off of personal experience.

I am going to caribbean in April and we will have I think one formal night. We did the formal night on our Tahitian cruise and we took a photo and we got the photo for free as part of a package we bought. I am thinking we don't want to really do formal wear for this cruise and we will just eat elsewhere, but I am wondering if we would still be allowed to take a photograph that night in regular clothes. We will dress nice, but just not formally. When we did formal, my husband just had dress shirt and tie and slacks..no Tux..I was in a nice 2 piece dressy outfit..

I want a new photograph, but I don't really care if they are in formal wear..just that it is 4 years later and we have a better picture. I have that one in a prominent spot in the house but I don't like it. I had a weird sunburn line across my chest that I thought they would photoshop out..nope..and my husband hates it because he was heavier than he is now!

I don't recall the photographer set up to take pics before dinner any other night than formal night..so if that is my only opportunity for a nice "formal" shot other than random candid ones they take of you throughout the cruise..can I still do it without being too formal?

They'll have several (virtually all) nights for various pictures. Keep an eye on the Patter. It usually tells you what to expect and the photo department also leaves flyers for particular "events." You might also stop by the photo place early in your cruise, if you're interested in a particular background. They should be able to give you the run down for the week so you can plan what you want to wear and when.

BTW.. IMO, the all white background photos usually come out the best, esp. if you have a little color from the sun!

Hi Patty,

We are on the same cruise and of course you can get a pic even if you don't do formal, but I do believe there are 2 formal nights on our cruise.

Just wanted to make sure you knew that.

Can't wait to meet you at our meet and greet!!!

Susan

Just a personal observation:

You will have no problem having your picture taken.

However, the number of poses and the time and effort to arrange the poses (again let me repeat -- this is my observation) depends on how a couple or individual is dressed. The photographers with their experience of many many cruises have their own approach to figure out who are more likely to actually buy.

We will dress nice, but just not formally.

but I don't really care if they are in formal wear..just that it is 4 years later and we have a better picture.

can I still do it without being too formal?

There is normally one night that they advertise where they take casual photos. Watch your Princess patters for the date and time.

Formal nights usually mean a long line for waiting, where as casual night photos don't seem to take quite as long. ;)

We just got off the Grand Princess and had decided not to do formal nights. We had "formal" pictures taken on two of the formal nights and ended up with about 50 pictures to choose from. Didn't notice being treated any differently from those dressed in formal clothing.

Archived