Cruise ship gangway collapses in high winds

Gitte

Oh my. My heart goes out to those injured. It states it was the first time they docked there....maybe their last?

You know, there are tons of times that ships are unable to dock in tender ports due to water conditions -- they need to consider the wind conditions as well for the safety of the passengers. People get testy when you miss a port or are late...but would you rather change your itinerary or have someone clinging to life at a hospital??? Puts it in perspective, for sure.

That certainly looks scary. I'm used to the thought that tendering can be a hazrdous activity at times and sometimes have decided to stay onboard because it just looked 2 bad. It had never occurred to me until now, that you can be at risk when you are actually docked. How terrible for the passenger, especially at his age.

We're due to be calling at Palma on the same ship in about 7 weeks time, so certainly brings it home to me.

Shocking video on the Today show from Palma De Mallorca, Spain. They say 70 mph winds pushing the ship from the dock as you watch the lines snap in the front, then the gangway with 4 passengers on it falls into the Bay. Crew members dive in the save everyone. One has head injuries, others hypothermia.

I froze the shots to see MSC on the back.

Hi,

We've just posted an item on the gangway collapse, including a company report of exactly what happened:

"...strong winds to which the ship was exposed caused three bow mooring bitts [fittings on the pier to which ships tie up] to become detached simultaneously. As a result, the ship moved away from the dock causing a disembarking guest to fall into the water. Four members of the crew immediately dove in to help the man..."

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3097

Archived