Football players' search called off.....

Hopefully it's not about the money?! But I can see that as being a reason why a ship would have to leave..... Weather conditions make sense also....

I feel for the families also, they were in denial at first, but the survivor explained to the families that 2 of the players lost hope and decided to drift away... Sad.... I'd try to stay alive no matter what, but that's easier said than done...

Hopefully it's not about the money?! But I can see that as being a reason why a ship would have to leave..... Weather conditions make sense also....

I feel for the families also, they were in denial at first, but the survivor explained to the families that 2 of the players lost hope and decided to drift away... Sad.... I'd try to stay alive no matter what, but that's easier said than done...

There is A LOT more to this story than meets the eye.....That is all I am going to say

There always is a lot more to the story than meets the eye. The fact of the matter is, the lone survivor kept his life jacket on and stayed with the boat. I believe he also was the youngest on the boat.

There is more to the story, but I don't think that they 'quit' or gave up! Dehydration, hypothermia and whatever else they encountered can make you do things that you wouldn't ordinarily do! You lose your marbles, per say... You can elaborate if you like..... I'm interested in what you are thinking or have to say (meanie and flv)......

People who die outdoors in the winter of hypothermia are frequently found in the nude. For whatever physiological or psychological reason, the hypothermia tricks them into thinking they are feverishly hot.

The water was 62 degrees.

There is A LOT more to this story than meets the eye.....That is all I am going to say

Please don't turn this into some conspiracy theorist story. I live in the tampa bay area and this story has been on display on every channel all week. I feel so horrible for the families.

The fact is, they went out 50 miles on a 21 foot boat right as a cold front was coming through. Unfortunately, the boat was not equipped with an EPIRB or similar device.

I only hope that someone else's life can be saved in the future by learning from this tragedy.

There is more to the story, but I don't think that they 'quit' or gave up! Dehydration, hypothermia and whatever else they encountered can make you do things that you wouldn't ordinarily do! You lose your marbles, per say... You can elaborate if you like..... I'm interested in what you are thinking or have to say (meanie and flv)......

I think they maybe they took off their life jackets and swallowed alot of salt water, making them hallucinate. They could have gotten taken by sharks also. The waters offshore from the Tampa Bay Area are breeding grounds for sharks.

Either way you look at this, its a tragic loss. I feel bad for the family, especially after seeing that father have so much hope and confidence in his son.

There is a lot more to the story, but not nefarious. The survivor was found during the daytime. According to his report, the boat flipped at night...that would make it a lot more difficult to find your way back to an overturned totally dark vessel at night in rough seas. It is a very sad story.

We lost a close friend on a CA-Hawaii sailing race, and all they ever found was a lifejacket and a 12x18 inch piece of hull, that they believed was from the boat.

This is a very sad situation.

Money is not a factor and really shouldn't be a joke, I am sure if your family were out there you wouldn't want folks joking about something like that.

The tragedy was almost 100% avoidable, aside from not going so far out with only a single engine etc... a couple hundred bucks and they could have owned an EPIRB that transmits boat name and location to a SAT watching for EPIRBS and ELTS. EPIRB - Emergency Position Indicator Radio Beacon, ELT - Emergency Locator Trasmitter. EPIRB for boats and ELT for aircraft. There are now personal locator beacons as well.

Had they had an EPIRB the USCG helo would have known within a short time after they flipped that the boat was in distress and would have launched ASAP as long as the Weather (WX) was safe for flight. Once the SAT picked up the actual LAT/LON the helo would have been been headed to withing feet of the flipped boat...and would have found the folks while they were all alive.

Folks do with great dehydration begin to loose their mind and taking off life jackets often is part of the process. It sounds like all were right on at the onset staying with the boat. Once they started loosing it is when things went wrong.

One one run to Bermuda when I was working on boats now about 20 years ago, yikes to think about how long ago it was, we rescued at the request of a USCG Helo a fishing boat with two dingbats aboard who ran out of gas then ran their battery down where they had no radio comm and no way to make the boat go....they were off Cape H NC which is really pretty dangerous waters for a single engine fishing boat. They survived, and would have without out being nearby since the helo spotted them. Exensive situation for the USCG that was totally caused by lack of good safetly planning on the part of these two fishermen. They totally pissed off one of the other crew members by taking his clean dry clothes and not giving them back after their clothes were washed and dryed by that same crew member.

If you boat offshore think safety first, just like on the Cruise Ship!!!

There is a lot more to the story, but not nefarious. The survivor was found during the daytime. According to his report, the boat flipped at night...that would make it a lot more difficult to find your way back to an overturned totally dark vessel at night in rough seas. It is a very sad story.

We lost a close friend on a CA-Hawaii sailing race, and all they ever found was a lifejacket and a 12x18 inch piece of hull, that they believed was from the boat.

I beleive the boat flipped during a storm but not after dark, just prior to dark. Supposedly all 4 were at the boat for a long time before folks passed away.

Sad about your friend...did they suspect weather or a whale strike...I have heard of some in the Pacific that have taken boats down.

Sad about your friend...did they suspect weather or a whale strike...I have heard of some in the Pacific that have taken boats down.

Sorry, I didn't see this earlier. It was a CA-Hawai sailing race in 1982?, I believe it was 3 boats and 6 people that were lost during a particularly bad storm. One of the people was my ex-husband's, long time supervisor.

Archived